06-28-2012, 09:59 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I haven't seen any discussion on this expensive and stylish modern razor. Does anyone here on TSN have any experience with this razor? I know they seem to be slightly prone to rust issues and the angle of attack is quite different compaired to other safety razors. My curiosities have me continually looking at "bigger and better" razors. If anyone has one, could you post pictures of it with a blade in it? I have yet to find a picture that shows and blade gap and angle at which it is held.

Thanks!

35 1,732
 06-28-2012, 10:05 AM
User Info
I've used the Pils -

It is a lovely razor, and I was not plagued with the rust issues that some people had. However, I never cared much for it. The shave was fine, but no more so than that of a Superspeed (which is a little cheaper).

I learned to get a good shave from it, but the angle of attack was not something I wanted to use daily, so I passed it on.

Some people like it, but like other razors that hold the blade mostly flat (R41, Tradere), the Pils didn't really impress me much when it came to the shave itself.

37 1,731
 06-28-2012, 10:09 AM
User Info
I had one for awhile, and it was OK, but no better really than my Feather AS. It was somewhat head-heavy, making it a little awkward for me. I had no rust issues with it.

184 12,003
 06-28-2012, 10:10 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I have 2 of these...the satin stainless and the hex-shaped plated handle model...I have NO rust issues..probably comes from leaving razor wet with out properly drying etc....a very nice razor..the handle is more slippery than a Weber or Tradere or Ikon..nice shaver ..much better than Feather..but still a bit " mild"...worth $ 250.00 ?? Not really..but I will never sell mine because they are very nice for MY purpose..don,t have any blade exposure pictures..sorry don,t know how to do that....overall I like mine but there are better shavers out there for a lot less money...i.e. Merkur Progress,Weber ,Ikon and now Tradere.

6 1,913
 06-28-2012, 10:11 AM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
How would you say it compares with the Tradere?

35 1,732
 06-28-2012, 10:13 AM
User Info
Anthony, i still have one of my Pils that i will be selling soon after i get back from vacation and they are, truly, the best crafted razors that i have seen. The Tradere comes a close second. The Pils are middle-of-the-road in aggressiveness and they are nice shavers. However, you have to remember the head had quite a bit of heft to it. Never had any issue with rust in the 8 months that i have had them/it. If you need any pictures or other help, let me know.

75 20,883
 06-28-2012, 10:13 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(06-28-2012, 10:11 AM)Tonality Wrote: How would you say it compares with the Tradere?

More mild but you can work with it if you give it some time..most of us move on to the next Holy Grail and never master the one we just cannot live without..that is the problem..not the razor.

6 1,913
 06-28-2012, 10:15 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
The iKon Modern I just picked up is supposed to be close to the Pils.

116 3,804
 06-28-2012, 10:18 AM
User Info
Like Harvey says, the Pils is milder than the Tradere, but it does shave fine when you master it.

37 1,731
 06-28-2012, 01:53 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(06-28-2012, 10:13 AM)celestino Wrote: Anthony, i still have one of my Pils that i will be selling soon after i get back from vacation and they are, truly, the best crafted razors that i have seen. The Tradere comes a close second. The Pils are middle-of-the-road in aggressiveness and they are nice shavers. However, you have to remember the head had quite a bit of heft to it. Never had any issue with rust in the 8 months that i have had them/it. If you need any pictures or other help, let me know.

I would love to see some pictures when you get back!

(06-28-2012, 10:15 AM)Dave Wrote: The iKon Modern I just picked up is supposed to be close to the Pils.

The Modern does have the appeal of having actual knurling along the handle, but I wonder if they actually function the same.

35 1,732
 06-29-2012, 05:44 PM
User Info
These were in my opinion like 800 dollar shoes. Only made for the elites to who anything less would be slumming. I could never see this kind of money bringing something more than the best razors out there that we already know about. These honest reviews confirm that for me.

5 273