09-26-2015, 06:06 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
Hello,

I would like to know the differences between these 2 Rooney knots (apples being apples 24-26, loft 50) finest and the 2 band super badger.

50 412
 09-26-2015, 06:08 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I'm not familiar with Rooney 2-band Super... Is that similar to the Heritage line?

22 823
 09-26-2015, 06:15 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(09-26-2015, 06:08 AM)chamm Wrote: I'm not familiar with Rooney 2-band Super... Is that similar to the Heritage line?

I don't know if the Heritage is similar, maybe someone who has experience with these 2 knots can elaborate further and add the Heritage knot into the discussion, if the Heritage is a different knot then the Finest and 2 band Super Badger.

50 412
 09-26-2015, 06:38 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I have used both Heritage 2-Band "Super Badger," and Finest, and they're both spectacular knots. It's a shame they're both out of production. I've used knots from both in the 24-26/50 range.

Rooney Finest is arguably the best knot ever produced. I have tried over 50 brushes, and Finest is heads-and-shoulders above anything I've tried. It's not really even close. Soft tips, great backbone, plus the density is perfect. Not over-stuffed, so it has wonderful flow-through, but also not sparse. The taper on the hairs is much longer than any current production brush, so it feels like a pillow on the face.

The Heritage line is excellent as well. Not in league with Finest, but it certainly compares favorably to the top brushes available today. More densely packed than the Finest, and the taper on the hairs is shorter, but still exceptionally soft tips, and very well balanced backbone.

I've never heard to 2-Band Super from Rooney. They have Super Badger, but that is 3-band hair, and I have tried a few of those as well. In general, the hair in those knots is finer, so they're stuffed with more of it. The examples I've tried in the past have all felt a little scritchy to me. The Heritage Rooney brushes available today are pretty decent quality 3-band brushes. The "standard" Rooney available now (with the script lettering) isn't bad, but it's a bit of a disappointment compared to the Rooney of old. Those knot feel more like a commodity-grade knot. (Such as Frank Shaving, Lijun, Virginia Sheng, etc.) That isn't to say it's junk. I have one Frank Shaving brush that could easily hang with any modern top-tier brush. But I also have three other Frank Shaving that are really terrible.

Hope this was helpful, and if anyone comes across any information for Rooney (non-Heritage) 2-Band Super, I would like to know more. The 2-band Heritage brushes were very good. I ordered an Emillion 2 in December of 2013 from Vintage Blades, and it was literally the last Rooney Heritage 2-band I've ever seen retail. After my order, Jim put the out-of-stock message on all of the Heritage brushes, and they've never been up since. None of the other vendors who sold Heritage 2-band have ever offered them since then, either. There are a couple vendors who still seem to carry the Heritage 3-band "Super Badger" brushes, but that might be all the Rooney produces.

22 823
 09-26-2015, 06:47 AM
User Info
I've heard that the old Finest brushes were terrific, as noted above. Unfortunately, I received two 2/1's -- fairly close together in time so that it's likely they were from the same batch -- that were the scratchiest knots ever. I wasn't aware until afterward that these were noted for their yin and yang. Despite the scritch, they otherwise performed splendidly. I've regretted never being able to try a soft-tipped version.

29 1,776
 09-26-2015, 06:56 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(09-26-2015, 06:38 AM)chamm Wrote: I have used both Heritage 2-Band "Super Badger," and Finest, and they're both spectacular knots. It's a shame they're both out of production. I've used knots from both in the 24-26/50 range.

Rooney Finest is arguably the best knot ever produced. I have tried over 50 brushes, and Finest is heads-and-shoulders above anything I've tried. It's not really even close. Soft tips, great backbone, plus the density is perfect. Not over-stuffed, so it has wonderful flow-through, but also not sparse. The taper on the hairs is much longer than any current production brush, so it feels like a pillow on the face.

The Heritage line is excellent as well. Not in league with Finest, but it certainly compares favorably to the top brushes available today. More densely packed than the Finest, and the taper on the hairs is shorter, but still exceptionally soft tips, and very well balanced backbone.

I've never heard to 2-Band Super from Rooney. They have Super Badger, but that is 3-band hair, and I have tried a few of those as well. In general, the hair in those knots is finer, so they're stuffed with more of it. The examples I've tried in the past have all felt a little scritchy to me. The Heritage Rooney brushes available today are pretty decent quality 3-band brushes. The "standard" Rooney available now (with the script lettering) isn't bad, but it's a bit of a disappointment compared to the Rooney of old. Those knot feel more like a commodity-grade knot. (Such as Frank Shaving, Lijun, Virginia Sheng, etc.) That isn't to say it's junk. I have one Frank Shaving brush that could easily hang with any modern top-tier brush. But I also have three other Frank Shaving that are really terrible.

Hope this was helpful, and if anyone comes across any information for Rooney (non-Heritage) 2-Band Super, I would like to know more. The 2-band Heritage brushes were very good. I ordered an Emillion 2 in December of 2013 from Vintage Blades, and it was literally the last Rooney Heritage 2-band I've ever seen retail. After my order, Jim put the out-of-stock message on all of the Heritage brushes, and they've never been up since. None of the other vendors who sold Heritage 2-band have ever offered them since then, either. There are a couple vendors who still seem to carry the Heritage 3-band "Super Badger" brushes, but that might be all the Rooney produces.

Hello Craig,

To clarify I had posted 2 band Super Badger not 2 band Super.  Thank you for the info it is most helpful, I look forward to picking up a finest some time in the future. I have a Rooney 2 band Super Badger but have not tried the Finest. I pick up a couple of years ago from Jim a prototype Rooney 2 band (24-50) that has on the handle Silvertip, I have found this brush to be a slice of heaven.

50 412
 09-26-2015, 07:58 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Would you mind posting pictures? I'd love to see it! :-D

22 823
 09-26-2015, 10:20 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(09-26-2015, 07:58 AM)chamm Wrote: Would you mind posting pictures? I'd love to see it! :-D

[Image: 6986e8b3900ac1bb7bd610a0cbd01818.jpg][Image: 800c2a7a686548aa520f6835f8e6748e.jpg][Image: 75515a0ea8238fae897a573b8edbabba.jpg][Image: c08520bb3fe0578e8f900a5113ea74e1.jpg][Image: da778cb8cf20c6d00ef0693f040999ad.jpg]

Let's see if I know what I am doing with downloading pics from my phone

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

50 412
 09-26-2015, 10:26 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(09-26-2015, 10:20 AM)bijou Wrote:
(09-26-2015, 07:58 AM)chamm Wrote: Would you mind posting pictures? I'd love to see it! :-D

[Image: 6986e8b3900ac1bb7bd610a0cbd01818.jpg][Image: 800c2a7a686548aa520f6835f8e6748e.jpg][Image: 75515a0ea8238fae897a573b8edbabba.jpg][Image: c08520bb3fe0578e8f900a5113ea74e1.jpg][Image: da778cb8cf20c6d00ef0693f040999ad.jpg]

Let's see if I know what I am doing with downloading pics from my phone

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

New phone, I'm pretty proud of myself I was able to upload easily. Now I have to figure out the zoom in-out.

50 412
 09-28-2015, 04:31 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
That brush looks really nice, and I can honestly say I've never seen that design. I love the Emillion handle, and it looks even better in faux tortoise. How would you classify the hair, and if you don't mind me asking, where and when did you purchase that?

I thought I had a pretty good mental catalogue of most Rooney brushes from the last decade or so. When you first said "Rooney Two-Band, I was sure you were mistaken, but clearly you're correct. Smile The fact that I don't think I've ever seen one of those on the B/S/T indicates it must be a pretty phenomenal brush! :-) I wish I had a point of comparison to give you...

22 823
 09-28-2015, 07:37 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(09-28-2015, 04:31 PM)chamm Wrote: That brush looks really nice, and I can honestly say I've never seen that design. I love the Emillion handle, and it looks even better in faux tortoise. How would you classify the hair, and if you don't mind me asking, where and when did you purchase that?

I thought I had a pretty good mental catalogue of most Rooney brushes from the last decade or so. When you first said "Rooney Two-Band, I was sure you were mistaken, but clearly you're correct. Smile The fact that I don't think I've ever seen one of those on the B/S/T indicates it must be a pretty phenomenal brush! :-) I wish I had a point of comparison to give you...
I purchased the Brush from Jim at Vintageblade. It was in a conversation that I had with him that he stated that while he was one of Rooney's exclusive sellers of their brushes that he was at one time in collaboration with Rooney in creating a special Vintageblade Rooney brush. I saw a few pics of the prototype on his website and then purchased the brush from him (He wrote out the history of the brush for me so i could authenticate it's pedigree and origin).

I use all my brushes and I take good care of them for I certainly enjoy their different personalities. This brush has good backbone without being rigid or floppy with cloud soft tips (if you like such a brush)

50 412
 09-28-2015, 08:58 PM
User Info
That is a lovely-looking and very unique brush! Congratulations! Thumbsup

82 21,056
 09-28-2015, 09:26 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(09-28-2015, 08:58 PM)celestino Wrote: That is a lovely-looking and very unique brush! Congratulations! Thumbsup
Thank you, I must add that as a prototype (I was told) the 2 band knot was put into Silvertip badger handle that reads Silvertip badger as you can see. So for whatever reason the project never came to fruition and the prototype became a one of a kind.

Over the last decade brush makers have made some beautiful brushes (handles and knots) in 2 band and 3 band that were not widely available a few decades ago Rooney,  Simpson,  M&F, Paladin, TGN-Wolf Wiskers, Shavemac, Rudy Vey, etc, besides some wonderful modern razors and soaps. Shaving-wet Shaving has truly become a a pure joy instead of a daily chore.

50 412
 09-29-2015, 06:13 AM
User Info
(09-28-2015, 09:26 PM)bijou Wrote: Over the last decade brush makers have made some beautiful brushes (handles and knots) in 2 band and 3 band that were not widely available a few decades ago Rooney,  Simpson,  M&F, Paladin, TGN-Wolf Wiskers, Shavemac, Rudy Vey, etc, besides some wonderful modern razors and soaps. Shaving-wet Shaving has truly become a a pure joy instead of a daily chore.

Thumbup

82 21,056
 09-29-2015, 08:08 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(09-28-2015, 09:26 PM)bijou Wrote:
(09-28-2015, 08:58 PM)celestino Wrote: That is a lovely-looking and very unique brush! Congratulations! Thumbsup
Thank you, I must add that as a prototype (I was told) the 2 band knot was put into Silvertip badger handle that reads Silvertip badger as you can see. So for whatever reason the project never came to fruition and the prototype became a one of a kind.

Over the last decade brush makers have made some beautiful brushes (handles and knots) in 2 band and 3 band that were not widely available a few decades ago Rooney,  Simpson,  M&F, Paladin, TGN-Wolf Wiskers, Shavemac, Rudy Vey, etc, besides some wonderful modern razors and soaps. Shaving-wet Shaving has truly become a a pure joy instead of a daily chore.

Amen brother!

139 2,677
 09-29-2015, 08:15 AM
User Info
no quarrel from me.  brushes rule

73 1,262
 09-29-2015, 01:10 PM
User Info
(09-26-2015, 06:38 AM)chamm Wrote: I have used both Heritage 2-Band "Super Badger," and Finest, and they're both spectacular knots. It's a shame they're both out of production. I've used knots from both in the 24-26/50 range.

Very good comment.  I agree completely; and unlike some others, I have never had a problem with scritch on a Finest.   I should add, though, that my brushes are all on the big side: 26mm or larger.

Stanley

2 155
 09-29-2015, 02:02 PM
User Info
(09-29-2015, 01:10 PM)radioman4 Wrote: . . . and unlike some others, I have never had a problem with scritch on a Finest.   I should add, though, that my brushes are all on the big side: 26mm or larger.

I should have increased the badger.

29 1,776
 09-29-2015, 07:03 PM
User Info
I wasn't impressed with my 2 band super Highlander size 2. The hair was OKAY but the knot was just not up to a Rooney quality brush. It was a disappointment. Never tried the Rooney finest.

79 1,296
 09-29-2015, 11:37 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(09-29-2015, 07:03 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: I wasn't impressed with my 2 band super Highlander size 2. The hair was OKAY but the knot was just not up to a Rooney quality brush. It was a disappointment. Never tried the Rooney finest.
The knot was not up to Rooneys quality? Please explain why was the knot a disappointment.

50 412