09-27-2015, 10:27 AM
User Info
Hey guys, I was browsing amazon last night and happened to see a merkur bakelite for 12 bucks I think. I quickly hit the buy it now button and went about my business. Later on I began to do some digging on this razor and it seems like there are hardly any reviews on it.

The main reason I bought the razor is because of the head and the way it bends the blade. I am a fan of razors that hold the blade very rigidly. The merkur 45 seems to me to be the inspiration behind the razorock babysmooth. To my eyes the only difference would be one is bakelite the other aluminum.

That brings up the reason for this thread. People seem to be head over heels for the baby smooth yet the 45 seems to get skipped over. From the looks of all the pictures I have seen the heads seem almost identical.

Anybody have the merkur 45 care to share there thoughts on it? I realize it's bakelite and very light weight and that may turn a lot of people .away from it. That being said the RRBS is a feather weight itself. If anybody has both I'd love to hear how they compare to each other. I mean for 12 bucks it's a no brainer to me.

3 1,356
 09-27-2015, 11:16 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
TOP SECRET....this is actually a great shaving razor....don,t like the color so I put a black handle on mine but it shaves very well and is probably the model that the RazoRock baby smooth was copied from....I wish they would make it in all metal but for the price you paid you will not be sorry.Oh I do have both and other than the material they shave the same....(really well and smooth)

6 1,994
 09-27-2015, 11:18 AM
User Info
I like mine, and I did a review for it a while back - available both here on the 'Nook and on my blog - as well as asking others for their opinions on it before I bought it.

It's a lovely lightweight razor, ever so slightly aggressive if you use too much pressure. I would definitely recommend getting one.

3 4,373
 09-27-2015, 11:27 AM
User Info
(09-27-2015, 11:18 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: I like mine, and I did a review for it a while back - available both here on the 'Nook and on my blog - as well as asking others for their opinions on it before I bought it.

It's a lovely lightweight razor, ever so slightly aggressive if you use too much pressure. I would definitely recommend getting one.

I read your reviews after a bought it...it's one of 3 I believe.

Harvey, I read the same thing, people seem to love the thing and looking at the head IMO from pictures it looks the same.

Also read it had the head of a progress and I'll he honest I looked at my progress and I didn't really see it,but thE progress is one of my favorites so it's a win win in my book.

I could of paid 23 and got the case ,but I decided just to get the razor.

3 1,356
 09-27-2015, 03:47 PM
User Info
I own a Merkur 45 and think it's a great razor. I use mine mostly for travel nowadays, but I used it as a daily shaver for a period of time and really enjoyed it. I also own a RRBS and although the razors are similiar I prefer the shave I get from the 45 (a little closer and better "face feel"). Some guys are turned off by the light weight but I find it to be ultra-maneuverable and probably one of the best razors I own in terms of providing feedback.

0 29
 09-27-2015, 04:18 PM
User Info
Both heavy and light razors have there places. I have a mongoose with a handle that weighs 180 grams on it IIRC.

Also have a futur,long handled progress ,ikon stainless model etc.

Ive also got some light razors your superspeeds, finally got my baby smooth in the mail,gillette techs etc.

Both give a good shave ,and although I do like heavier razors it's nice to pull out a light weight every once in awhile and shave with it. Feels like your shaving with a toy.

Light doesn't mean poor quality and if you adjust your technique then you can get a good shave with anything.

3 1,356
 09-27-2015, 05:57 PM
User Info
Yeah, bought one of these a long time ago and used it once or twice, but I was favoring massive, heavy razors then -- thought of it as a novelty. Reading this post I excavated my shaving cabinet and found it -- it sure does feel like a potato chip. The brass threads on the bakelite top cap will accommodate most standard razor handles -- put one of these Maggard MR5 handles on it and you have eliminated any remaining potato chip resemblance!

[Image: Maggard-Razors-MR5-Handle-Only-Stainless...50x350.jpg]

The only thing not to like (aside from maybe appearance) is the all-plastic handle with threads that are sure to strip eventually, regardless of how much care is taken -- so the razor is begging for a better handle from the start. I will give it another chance pretty soon.
As I remember, it shaved very well . . . . we shall see.

. . . . anybody want a cracker Jack?

5 395
 09-27-2015, 06:17 PM
User Info
(09-27-2015, 05:57 PM)opsimath Wrote: Yeah, bought one of these a long time ago and used it once or twice, but I was favoring massive, heavy razors then -- thought of it as a novelty. Reading this post I excavated my shaving cabinet and found it -- it sure does feel like a potato chip. The brass threads on the bakelite top cap will accommodate most standard razor handles -- put one of these Maggard MR5 handles on it and you have eliminated any remaining potato chip resemblance!

[Image: Maggard-Razors-MR5-Handle-Only-Stainless...50x350.jpg]

The only thing not to like (aside from maybe appearance) is the all-plastic handle with threads that are sure to strip eventually, regardless of how much care is taken -- so the razor is begging for a better handle from the start. I will give it another chance pretty soon.
As I remember, it shaved very well . . . . we shall see.
I'm gonna put a baby smooth handle on it, it's the lightest one I have

3 1,356
 09-28-2015, 05:48 AM
User Info
$12 is a good price for that razor.  

I researched it some a while back, and I was worried about the brass threads wearing out the bakelite handle (eventually); however, for $12 it would be worth trying out if you like a lightweight razor.

1 135
 09-28-2015, 09:37 AM
User Info
I don't prefer a light razor, I do like a head that really bends the bladed like this razor appears to do. Also the baby smooth is supposedly gone. Well I honestly don't know how long the baby smooth would last ot I may drop it etc. If the 45 shaves like the baby smooth then I'll just use it.

3 1,356
 09-28-2015, 10:41 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
It is a very nice razor, but you have to use more aggressive blades, like Polsilver, in order to have an efficient shave. It's not a razor I would recommend to beginners. You must be careful with the pressure, because it weights only 14 gramms.

I bought it five months ago and had some shaves with it. I found it in very good price, with its case plus the 10 merkur blades, so I didn't hesitate to pull the trigger... Also, if you don't know it yet, this razor is discontinued since last spring.

49 1,940
 09-28-2015, 11:36 AM
User Info
(09-28-2015, 10:41 AM)nikos.a Wrote: It is a very nice razor, but you have to use more aggressive blades, like Polsilver, in order to have an efficient shave. It's not a razor I would recommend to beginners. You must be careful with the pressure, because it weights only 14 gramms.

I bought it five months ago and had some shaves with it. I found it in very good price, with its case plus the 10 merkur blades, so I didn't hesitate to pull the trigger... Also, if you don't know it yet, this razor is discontinued since last spring.

No I didn't know that, thanks for the heads up. Guess if I like it I should get a couple

3 1,356
 09-28-2015, 11:52 AM
User Info
cheapest I see is around $24-25.  Is $12 one sold out?
My only complaint about it is the bakelite threading that can get stripped easily.

53 760
 09-28-2015, 12:23 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
But that is only for the bakelite handle...you can use any other handle on the head...it has a brass center post.Some of the old CLIX bakelite handles have aluminium inserts as well as many other brands.

6 1,994
 09-28-2015, 12:40 PM
User Info
(09-28-2015, 11:52 AM)parachutefactory Wrote: cheapest I see is around $24-25.  Is $12 one sold out?
My only complaint about it is the bakelite threading that can get stripped easily.

Amazon hold on I'll see ..it went up to $15 now, well actually it's a different seller I guess I did get the last one because mine was prime . Wow viewing my order on Amazon the rqzor I bought from my seller is now 26 bucks, guess I lucked up.

3 1,356
 09-28-2015, 04:52 PM
User Info
(09-28-2015, 12:40 PM)Otis375 Wrote:
(09-28-2015, 11:52 AM)parachutefactory Wrote: cheapest I see is around $24-25.  Is $12 one sold out?

Amazon hold on I'll see ..it went up to $15 now, well actually it's a different seller I guess I did get the last one because mine was prime . Wow viewing my order on Amazon the rqzor I bought from my seller is now 26 bucks, guess I lucked up.

rub it in !!

53 760
 09-29-2015, 12:01 PM
User Info
Just got my bakelite in. It cane with the case too . Looking at it side by side to the baby smooth the heads look nearly identical.

I believe the merkur may bend the blade a little more and it also has just a tab bit more blade exposure. Both are very lightweight and while the baby smooth is heavier both are so light that for me it's hard to tell the difference in weight in the hand.

Only thing that worries me in the screw on the top cap. Oh well though, price I paid for it if I like the shave I'll buy a few more since they are discontinued.

3 1,356
 09-29-2015, 12:11 PM
User Info
 09-29-2015, 12:12 PM
User Info
 09-29-2015, 12:14 PM
User Info
Please excuse the coconut oil on the razor's ,stuff is pretty hard to wipe off,and the wife shaves with it. BTW yes Ravi those are my shoes in the bottom of the picture,lol  sporting the Nike Air max today

3 1,356