09-27-2015, 09:06 PM
User Info
does anyone have anywhere they recc i start reading or getting info? honestly this is just to learn how its made not looking to start producing them. just to experiment

16 660
 09-28-2015, 07:31 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Lee Bussy (silverfox) over on B&B posted a great intro thread. Maybe what you're looking for.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread....Soapmaking

Cheers, Steve

7 528
 09-28-2015, 07:52 AM
User Info
(09-28-2015, 07:31 AM)Steve56 Wrote: Lee Bussy (silverfox) over on B&B posted a great intro thread. Maybe what you're looking for.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread....Soapmaking

Cheers, Steve

Signs011   and good luck!

83 21,081
 09-28-2015, 07:57 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
I am interested too... not from a commercial aspect but more just to tinker. Look forward to hearing how you make out.

2 1,180
 09-28-2015, 08:10 AM
User Info
Good luck in the endeavor.

Tyler Durden made soap Biggrin

[Image: 0kkuuJn.jpg]

61 3,796
 09-28-2015, 08:19 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(09-28-2015, 08:10 AM)hrfdez Wrote: Good luck in the endeavor.

Tyler Durden made soap Biggrin

[Image: 0kkuuJn.jpg]
1st Rule...

2 1,180
 09-28-2015, 08:21 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
 09-28-2015, 08:24 AM
User Info
There is tons of information out on the web for soap making.  Read before you buy anything.  I posted this on another site:

I have made cold proccess bath soap and it works out fine. The problem is that it costs me more than buying from a vendor. Since I am not selling it I buy the ingediants in smaller batches and the price point doesn't make it worth the payback. Last batch cost about $4.00 a bar to make and I get soap from a vendor in bulk (10 bars) for around $2.48 a bar.

That said though - if there is a scent you really like - make it. But make sure you do your research and educate yourself. I have a number of books on soapmaking:

The Everything Soapmaking Book
Smart Soapmaking
Soap Maker's Workshop: The Art and Craft of Natural Homemade Soap

The last book has a great section on tallow. Any shave soap in these books are variations of hard bath soaps so be warned. But if bath soap is all you really want to make then they are great references. Also go to Youtube and seach for soap making - there are hundreds of videos - some good and others not so much. There isn't a lot of information out there on using both potassium and sodium hydroxides for soft shave soap making but dig around if that is the direction you want to pursue.

And all the vendors here will tell you that you have to take lots of notes - especially experimenting so you can replicate a batch in the future.

Finally the only draw back to making your own shaving soap is that if you scale your batch down to say a pound - you end up with four - 4 oz. containers of the same scented soap and you know how hard it is to get through just one 4 oz. container so you better love the scent. Smile

Worst case - go to a soap making company website and buy a kit to make bath soap for the first time.  Not a lot of gear to get set up if you want to make cold proccess soap.  You will need a stick blender (no aluminum parts that touch the soap), pyrex or plastic bowl, pyrex measuring cup, scale, thermometer, and a few other things.  The books are clear on everything you need.  You are also going to read up on the differences between essential oils and fragrance oils and which ones don't work well and which ones can cause irratation.

If you want a real perspective - go out to the Google Book site and download some of the PDF books from the early 1900's on how to make soap at home. 

It isn't that hard but do some research first.

4 465
 09-28-2015, 08:29 AM
User Info
awesome thank you everyone!! this is really just to do it and be able to tell myself i can do it. ill most likely give some away if i have any extra. i love to experiment and learn how to do things.

16 660
 09-28-2015, 09:24 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have made both hot process and cold process soaps, including shaving soaps.  It is not hard at all, as long as you are capable of accurate measurements and following directions you will have no problems.  I purchased all my hardware from thrift stores and got my ingredients from the web (can't recall the store at the moment).  I haven't done anything in over a year because as mentioned, in many cases it is cheaper to just buy soap (especially if you invest in essential oils), but it can be a fun little hobby and actually is a great combination with football as you can start the process before kickoff and by the time the game is over you will have usable soap (hot processed anyways).

145 2,752