09-28-2015, 03:18 AM
User Info
So i have been DE shaving since late last year and i feel that im really getting the hang of it now, at least i thought so. However, i can only comfortably shave a couple of times a week! If i shave more often i find my whiskers are really hard to cut and no matter how sharp a blade, it still tugs. I find myself getting irritation really easily also and some weepers if i shave too often.
Im not sure if its because the whiskers grow close to the skin and the fact that my face can get quite dry?
I have a variety of stainless razors and a merkur digress at the moment. Even though i havnt used it for a while i seem to remember my ikon oc 2010 seems to be most comfortable, along with the digress.
Also to add, when i do shave i will always go wtg and then atg with some touch ups. I love gettibg bbs!
So does anyone here with the same situation have any advice for me so that if i want i can shave more often?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

2 107
 09-28-2015, 05:19 AM
User Info
When I was just getting started I wished I could have shaved more frequently and I was shaving every day.

I hope you understand that trying to diagnose what's going on a continent away is difficult, so be patient with us as all we can really do is take a stab in the dark.

You being in England I'm thinking that you probably have hard water and that fights a really good lather. I'd work on that. Use more soap to get an extremely dense, slick, and protective lather. Do a search for Ultra Lather by Sharpspine. It's the best lather that I know of. Don't be afraid to make lather in your palm and waste it. You actually are wasting nothing since really good lather is critical for a good shave. Soap is easy and cheap to replace, and it affects your skin. Body work can be quite annoying to wait for repairs.

I get weepers when I'm too careless with my razor. That happens most often when I get too friendly with it and forget just how sharp the blade contained in it really is, or if I'm in a hurry. On a more basic level that boils down to me using too much pressure on the blade and not enough care. Use fingertips only to hold the razor and no pressure. Yes, I know easy to say; we're all human and revert back to carelessness and speed. Or at least it does with me.

Do you face lather? If you don't you might want to try that. The building of the lather on the face is a sort of prep for the whiskers and if you take a few minutes for lather making the whiskers will soften quite a bit and cut easier. Three minutes is about the optimum for face lathering; where you get the most result for the time expended.

Using a blade for shaving is close to 100% technique and hardware figures in little. Of course hardware does figure in somewhat, but technique is the lions share once basic gear is decided on. I'm assuming you tested blades and such to find what you like and what works best for you. If you haven't either buy a blade sampler or make up your own. When testing them use scientific method and use one basic setup and change nothing other than the blade. If you change many variables you won't know what variable was responsible for what effect.

Edit: Oh! I forgot. Don't be afraid to make notes. Over time you might forget what worked and what didn't. I know I would without notes.

32 6,459
 09-28-2015, 05:30 AM
User Info
Thanks ShadowsDad, some great points for me to work on here.
You are dead on with the hard water here so il do the research into getting a better lather going. I should have said i use a kent bk4 brush for lathering.

Your point on grip is probably something i need to focus on, i definitely think the reason i do better with the 2010 ikon is because of its shorter bulldog handle.

I do face lather these days, just maybe i should spend longer on it, especially with the hard water.

I have got a blade sampler and have gone through them all, i think from what you said about properly experimenting i can see where i go wrong. I lately had a bit of RAD so my razor choice is always changing, thus different blades need experimenting with.

Thanks for the long answer mate.

2 107
 09-28-2015, 05:34 AM
User Info
You might try getting some distilled bottled water to see if that helps make a better lather.

1 135
 09-28-2015, 05:39 AM
User Info
(09-28-2015, 05:34 AM)kansaskyle Wrote: You might try getting some distilled bottled water to see if that helps make a better lather.
Added to next weeks shopping list.

2 107
 09-28-2015, 06:26 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
You could also try using a moisturizer 12 hours before/after shaving. I shave in the morning and will use a lotion at night which seems to make the skin and shave much smoother.

7 450
 09-28-2015, 06:48 AM
User Info
(09-28-2015, 06:26 AM)jtmke Wrote: You could also try using a moisturizer 12 hours before/after shaving. I shave in the morning and will use a lotion at night which seems to make the skin and shave much smoother.
Is there obe that you can recommend to me?

2 107
 09-28-2015, 07:50 AM
User Info
I really enjoy unrefined shea butter as a balm to help with any skin issues. You could peruse this thread, here:  http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=3949

It really sounds like you just need more time and practice with your technique.
Good luck.

83 21,077
 09-28-2015, 08:44 AM
User Info
If you are able to cleanly capture rainwater, that is naturally soft water too. As for shaving, I still see it as a chore that I perform minimally which for me is 4-5 times a week.

0 76
 09-28-2015, 09:18 AM
User Info
Great advices guys. 

Try to stick to number of shaves your face can comfortably handle. 

With new razors,  blades,  and soaps coming in monthly or even weekly,  i was tempted and also felt rushed to try different combinations in such a short time.  Yes you will have sense of accomplishment when you try all of your products in a given time, but if your shave quality declines due to overly frequent shave,  all your product test results are invalid anyway. 

So dont rush and take your time and enjoy the journey and evaluate what products work and what dont.

53 760
 09-28-2015, 10:03 AM
User Info
Were you able to shave daily with a cart? I was thinking that since a cart requires less technique but ideally an equal amount of prep work, it would isolate your problem a bit.

0 1,070
 09-28-2015, 11:54 AM
User Info
Deleted because I misunderstood the OP's question.

39 3,918
 09-28-2015, 11:59 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
You could also try adding a little lemon juice/citric acid or even a bit of vinegar to your shave water to soften it.

Bob

0 1,694
 09-28-2015, 12:18 PM
User Info
Woah iv been out this afternoon/evening (uk time), i see i have got lots of great tips to read about and try. Thanks guys for all your help!

2 107
 09-28-2015, 12:20 PM
User Info
(09-28-2015, 10:03 AM)Shannons Soaps Wrote: Were you able to shave daily with a cart? I was thinking that since a cart requires less technique but ideally an equal amount of prep work, it would isolate your problem a bit.
Iv never used carts, used electric previously but still only a couple if times a week. Only started prep work when starting out with DE

2 107
 09-28-2015, 01:59 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
(09-28-2015, 06:48 AM)barber bear Wrote:
(09-28-2015, 06:26 AM)jtmke Wrote: You could also try using a moisturizer 12 hours before/after shaving. I shave in the morning and will use a lotion at night which seems to make the skin and shave much smoother.
Is there obe that you can recommend to me?

I use Aveeno, or jack black. Any face lotion, mine must be unscented because I don't care for lotion scents unless they are aftershaves. 

7 450
 09-28-2015, 06:11 PM
User Info
My wife thinks I'm crazy also but in the year I have been wet shaving it just gets better and better

0 46
 09-30-2015, 04:24 PM
User Info
(09-28-2015, 11:59 AM)BobH Wrote: You could also try adding a little lemon juice/citric acid or even a bit of vinegar to your shave water to soften it.

Bob

How does adding an acid (vinegar/citric acid) reduce the hard water mineral content and not just the water PH?

0 76
 09-30-2015, 04:43 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Just leave out the blade and "shave" as much as you want....soap..soak...brush..hot towel...after shave process....just have fun....no one will ever know!!!!

6 2,022
 09-30-2015, 06:59 PM
User Info
(09-30-2015, 04:43 PM)Harvey Wrote: Just leave out the blade and "shave" as much as you want....soap..soak...brush..hot towel...after shave process....just have fun....no one will ever know!!!!

Well said Smile

I use an app on my Android called Shaving Buddy.  I have all my equipment listed and is like your own SOTD app.  It makes it fun and you can type notes about your shave.

61 3,796