09-28-2015, 10:00 AM
User Info
I prefer aggressive razors. I used to think I had sensitive skin but I realized it was just the fact I had to do so many passes with a mild razor that it led to irritation. I started shaving with a Gillette slim,then moved to a de89 since then I have bought many razors most are aggressive now like the r41 ,tech and I consider the mongoose aggressive with the blades I use in it.

Well Friday I was going through my old razors,I was actually looking at the feather asd2 and looking for a Gillette tech to shave with to see just how mild the feather may or may not be. Loaded the tech on an oss handle and began shaving and it just wasn't cutting it so I grabbed my old de89 and put it on a bulldog handle.

I'm not gonna lie the shave with the Edwin jagger was super smooth,I just had to go over my neck more times than I'd like in order to even cut all the hair.

I'm not going to lie I enjoyed the shave and it really was a true BBS something I never say and something I never try to do,but with the de89 I just got it.

I was loving the shave until I touched the alum block to my face, felt like a house cat from hell had jumped on my face and clawed all the way down,neck turns a weird shade of purple ,face turns red and hear comes the blood. My first thought after cursing the burn was uh oh this is not good I'm gonna haft to grow a beard to let this heal.

I throw on some balm and aftershave and cursed some more and remebered why I use the more aggressive razors.

We had a discussion in another thread about aggressive razors and why some prefer them to mild razors and this is the reason I use them. With an aggresive razor I can do 2 passes ATG XTG and be smooth enough, not bbs but it looks fine and only I can feel the stubble.

Tried to do a little cleanup this morning with a tech and it wasn't happening, the scrubbing of the brush over my burned skin was enough for me to say no way,I'll just grow it out until I'm healed.

Maybe this will let some of the people wondering why some people prefer aggressive to mild razors. It is true you can good a great shave with any razor if your technique is good,it what it does to your skin afterwards that makes the difference.

3 1,356
 09-28-2015, 03:47 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Amen!

19 742
 09-28-2015, 04:58 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
How's your technique?

5 527
 09-28-2015, 05:10 PM
User Info
I been wet shaving for about 5 years, have well just ordered 2 more DES that makes 20 something. My technique is as good as anybody's IMO. I just prefer aggressive.

My face doesn't like it when I haft to keep on going over the same spot .

3 1,356
 09-29-2015, 08:22 AM
User Info
Sorry, but this doesn't make any sense to me at all.  

I have owned and used razors from both ends of the spectrum and everything in between.  A person ought to be able to get a good shave from a mild razor.  Any razor that allows a sharp blade edge to contact the base of the hairs ought to be able to give you a pretty good shave.  

I can get a good shave from a Feather AS-D2 or from a FaTip.  Doesn't really seem to make THAT much difference.  I obviously alter my technique when using each different razor, but the end result is very similar.

2 1,451
 09-29-2015, 08:30 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(09-29-2015, 08:22 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Sorry, but this doesn't make any sense to me at all.  

I have owned and used razors from both ends of the spectrum and everything in between.  A person ought to be able to get a good shave from a mild razor.  Any razor that allows a sharp blade edge to contact the base of the hairs ought to be able to give you a pretty good shave.  

I can get a good shave from a Feather AS-D2 or from a FaTip.  Doesn't really seem to make THAT much difference.  I obviously alter my technique when using each different razor, but the end result is very similar.

I fall more in your camp Kingfisher. Been at wetshaving for 10+ years and can even coax a great shave out of a Weishi [which I often use for travel] and is notoriously mild according to the community at large.

Having said that, I do enjoy aggressive razors/baseplates but get great shaves across the spectrum of what many consider "mild" razors to razors that have a rep as face eaters. 

Blade angle and technique varying on each...

YMMV.

2 1,180
 09-29-2015, 09:15 AM
User Info
Here is something I discovered a while back about my technique: When I used to use aggressive razors, I shaved very slowly out of respect for the damage they could inflict, but with mild razors, I shaved much more quickly. I would get frustrated with those mild razors because I had to keep going over certain areas to achieve effective beard removal. 

BUT - when I learned to slow down my shaving stroke, the result was that I got much more effective/efficient shaves from my mild razors.

And even though I don't use aggressive razors anymore, I ordered an R41 head from shaving.ie. a few days ago on impulse. I am curious to see if I will get better results than I got 2 years ago before I sold off all of my aggressive razors and besides, it was only $18.50. It should be here in about 7 - 10 days.

66 693
 09-29-2015, 11:07 AM
User Info
Bob, $18.50!  I am not even really all that interested in that head, but at that price I may have to give it a try.

2 1,451
 09-29-2015, 11:09 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(09-29-2015, 11:07 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Bob, $18.50!  I am not even really all that interested in that head, but at that price I may have to give it a try.

Shaving.ie is where I have bought all my Muhle heads recently. Great prices and Chris offers great service!

2 1,180
 09-29-2015, 11:43 AM
User Info
(09-29-2015, 11:09 AM)kwsher Wrote:
(09-29-2015, 11:07 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Bob, $18.50!  I am not even really all that interested in that head, but at that price I may have to give it a try.

Shaving.ie is where I have bought all my Muhle heads recently. Great prices and Chris offers great service!

18.50 US dollar?? That's a great deal, IMO the stock r41 handle doesn't work well for the rarazor so buying the head is the best route. That is a great deal is that vendor in ThE US? For that price I may get a back up r41

3 1,356
 09-29-2015, 12:15 PM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(09-29-2015, 11:43 AM)Otis375 Wrote:
(09-29-2015, 11:09 AM)kwsher Wrote:

18.50 US dollar?? That's a great deal, IMO the stock r41 handle doesn't work well for the rarazor so buying the head is the best route. That is a great deal is that vendor in ThE US? For that price I may get a back up r41

Hey Otis, Chris is actually in Ireland but don't worry- shipping is fast and reasonable. I just double checked and my entire order for an extra R41, including shipping was 20.20 Euro or $22.83 USD. 

I would definitely say Buy with Confidence. He also owns TraditionalShaving as an FYI...

2 1,180
 09-29-2015, 12:17 PM
User Info
(09-29-2015, 12:15 PM)kwsher Wrote:
(09-29-2015, 11:43 AM)Otis375 Wrote:
(09-29-2015, 11:09 AM)kwsher Wrote: Shaving.ie is where I have bought all my Muhle heads recently. Great prices and Chris offers great service!

Hey Otis, Chris is actually in Ireland but don't worry- shipping is fast and reasonable. I just double checked and my entire order for an extra R41, including shipping was 20.20 Euro or $22.83 USD. 

I would definitely say Buy with Confidence. He also owns TraditionalShaving as an FYI...

That's a daylight robbery right there. I think you will enjoy the r41 it's aggressive but not harsh . I think it's because it doesn't have near the blade exposure of say a fatip, it still is aggressive but the blade doesn't chatter.

3 1,356
 09-29-2015, 12:22 PM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(09-29-2015, 12:17 PM)Otis375 Wrote:
(09-29-2015, 12:15 PM)kwsher Wrote:
(09-29-2015, 11:43 AM)Otis375 Wrote: 18.50 US dollar?? That's a great deal, IMO the stock r41 handle doesn't work well for the rarazor so buying the head is the best route. That is a great deal is that vendor in ThE US? For that price I may get a back up r41

That's a daylight robbery right there. I think you will enjoy the r41 it's aggressive but not harsh . I think it's because it doesn't have near the blade exposure of say a fatip, it still is aggressive but the blade doesn't chatter.
Right? I do love the R41- great piece of HW!

2 1,180
 09-29-2015, 03:16 PM
User Info
(09-28-2015, 04:58 PM)Chaddy Wrote: How's your technique?

Deleted.

15 403
 10-01-2015, 05:19 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
For me, a mild razor means more passes to achieve the same result as a more efficient/aggressive razor. More passes results in irritation. 

As for technique, IMO, as technique improves so does ones ability to confidently and comfortably use a more efficient/aggressive razor.

99 18,011
 10-12-2015, 10:06 AM
User Info
(09-29-2015, 08:22 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Sorry, but this doesn't make any sense to me at all.  

I agree with you. For me it is usually the blade that is the issue, not the razor. A Blue Personna in my 55 Gillette Redtip will give me a smooth comfortable shave. An Astra SP is rough and uncomfortable, and I feel stubble afterwards.

Clayton

6 627