09-28-2015, 05:01 PM
User Info
Seriously, am I the only person that just wants to reach through the Internet and slap some people into reality? In my time wet Shaving I have received my fare share of old razors that I purchased on line that arrived loaded with a used razor.

Most of the offenders have been from eBay or antique dealers that have websites. There was one time that I received from another shaving forum. Today I received a nice fat boy that I purchased online from an antique dealer in my own state. It was advertised with plenty of pics and not a single one showed the blade. I have also purchased others advertised blade less but then arrive with one all crusty, funky, and still covered in old soap and gunk. Do people not realize the safety/potential bio hazard this is? Do they actually think a nasty old blade is on my want list? Did I ask them for someone's crusty used blade as the closing deal? NO!!! So why send it?!?!

In for one am not to freaked out over things and have posted how I don't mind a nice used soap or brush if done properly. But a blade is a whole other story. These I refuse to touch and will dispose of with tweezers or something of the like that then gets sanitized. It's more of a risk cutting yourself with something like that than anything. People seriously need to think! Common sense is so rare this day and age it's now a super power!

Thanks for letting me have my moment to rant. I feel better now lol.

154 3,740
 09-28-2015, 05:08 PM
User Info
Come on Freddie they wanted it to be shave ready for you. Packaged deal I guess buy a razor get a used blade,buy used soap get a free hair or 2,buy a used brush get some old skim cells and some dried blood.

They are just trying to give you the gift that keeps on giving.

3 1,356
 09-28-2015, 05:09 PM
User Info
Some people have no common sense. It doesn't surprise me one bit that someone did that.

~Jesse~

80 947
 09-28-2015, 05:14 PM
User Info
Wow, I can understand how you feel.  I don't even do used soaps, but that's me.

61 3,796
 09-28-2015, 05:36 PM
User Info
(09-28-2015, 05:08 PM)Otis375 Wrote: Come on Freddie they wanted it to be shave ready for you. Packaged deal I guess buy a razor get a used blade,buy used soap get a free hair or 2,buy a used brush get some old skim cells and some dried blood.

They are just trying to give you the gift that keeps on giving.

If they wanted it shave ready they could have cleaned it and sanitized it lol. Don't matter. Still would have given it a Barnicide bath lol. Did clean up very nice though! Will be my tomorrow shave. 

I am curious though. Would a slight dip or run through rubbing alcohol hurt badger and Boar hair?

154 3,740
 09-28-2015, 06:15 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I've gotten my fair share of free blades from the Bay .. most often in Injectors.  Actually got a cut from the first one when I grabbed the razor carelessly from the recycled newspaper packing in the pre-experienced bubble mailer it arrived in.   If I was going to die from it reckon it should have happened by new, that was in maybe 2009, and the previous owner may have been dead for 30 years.   Now I'm more careful, and don't do much fleabaying anymore.

Folks have different tolerances for used stuff - I've read posts from people who won't even consider a vintage razor because of cooties, let alone a brush or soap.  But I'll admit I can't figure out why ship an old crusty blade, unless the seller hasn't a clue about what they are peddling .. where sometimes one finds the best deals.

I'd not use rubbing alcohol on anything but a hard surface, partially melted the handle of a Schick that way once.  Strongest recommended for hair would be vinegar or maybe borax solution, very briefly.

50 535
 09-28-2015, 06:19 PM
User Info
That's simply careless and dangerous. I hope you got a good deal on the FB.

48 4,636
 09-28-2015, 06:23 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
In my experience, many ebay sellers are not wet shavers, and have no clue really.
They're merely moving merchandise that they have limited to no knowledge about, including the issue of old rusty used blades.

102 18,712
 09-28-2015, 06:35 PM
User Info
(09-28-2015, 06:15 PM)garyg Wrote: I've gotten my fair share of free blades from the Bay .. most often in Injectors.  Actually got a cut from the first one when I grabbed the razor carelessly from the recycled newspaper packing in the pre-experienced bubble mailer it arrived in.   If I was going to die from it reckon it should have happened by new, that was in maybe 2009, and the previous owner may have been dead for 30 years.   Now I'm more careful, and don't do much fleabaying anymore.

Folks have different tolerances for used stuff - I've read posts from people who won't even consider a vintage razor because of cooties, let alone a brush or soap.  But I'll admit I can't figure out why ship an old crusty blade, unless the seller hasn't a clue about what they are peddling .. where sometimes one finds the best deals.

I'd not use rubbing alcohol on anything but a hard surface, partially melted the handle of a Schick that way once.  Strongest recommended for hair would be vinegar or maybe borax solution, very briefly.

A good bit of mine has also been with injectors. I can see that a tiny bit due to the person just not kowing how to take the blade out. Thanks for the tip on brushes! 

(09-28-2015, 06:19 PM)primotenore Wrote: That's simply careless and dangerous. I hope you got a good deal on the FB.

Very good deal indeed! 

(09-28-2015, 06:23 PM)Agravic Wrote: In my experience, many ebay sellers are not wet shavers, and have no clue really.
They're merely moving merchandise that they have limited to no knowledge about, including the issue of old rusty used blades.

I can understand a lack of knowledge in wet shaving but just wish people had more sense. You would think they would stop say "Hmmmm.... Is this safe and would this be something I want someone to send me?"

154 3,740
 09-28-2015, 08:53 PM
User Info
It's a possibility that they have never worked a safety razor .

Given it was ebay wouldn't surprise me if someone didn't just go to antique shops looking to score razors to flip. Even if they did notice it had a blade in it they probably had no idea to take it out, or they just didn't care, and it's nice to know they couldn't take 2 seconds out of their day to remove the blade.

I would at least send the seller a message and let them know they left a blade in it it could of been a mistake, but I highly doubt it.

3 1,356
 09-28-2015, 08:53 PM
User Info
i actually bought a de razor off another forum and got it with a old rusted blade and the razor was a newer model there was even hair still all over the blade. the worst part was they must have used it after the posted pictures since those showed it as pristine nothing like how i received it. btw it was an ikon slant razor.

16 660
 09-29-2015, 12:23 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Used vintage SRs must be a real problem then.  Wink  Receiving a DE with a well used blade does bother some more than others. You have to wonder too if the DE photos showed no blade in the razor and on arrival it had a dirty old blade in it whether you go the DE that was advertised.

Bob

0 1,693
 09-29-2015, 01:01 AM
User Info
(09-28-2015, 08:53 PM)Otis375 Wrote: It's a possibility that they have never worked a safety razor .

Given it was ebay wouldn't surprise me if someone didn't just go to antique shops looking to score razors to flip. Even if they did notice it had a blade in it they probably had no idea to take it out, or they just didn't care, and it's nice to know they couldn't take 2 seconds out of their day to remove the blade.

I would at least send the seller a message and let them know they left a blade in it it could of been a mistake, but I highly doubt it.

They couldn't use that as an excuse. The photos actually show it open and have a photo of every angle a in side. I did send them a message letting me know since they did have other razors. They responded with "Thanks for letting me know." 

(09-28-2015, 08:53 PM)mastershake Wrote: i actually bought a de razor off another forum and got it with a old rusted blade and the razor was a newer model there was even hair still all over the blade. the worst part was they must have used it after the posted pictures since those showed it as pristine nothing like how i received it. btw it was an ikon slant razor.

The just bad. Did you say something about it? 

(09-29-2015, 12:23 AM)BobH Wrote: Used vintage SRs must be a real problem then.  Wink  Receiving a DE with a well used blade does bother some more than others. You have to wonder too if the DE photos showed no blade in the razor and on arrival it had a dirty old blade in it whether you go the DE that was advertised.

Bob

That is something I did look at. It is the correct razor I ordered. With the number of pictures taken everything matched.

154 3,740
 09-29-2015, 01:57 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Well at the end of the day, Freddie : caveat emptor.
These are used items after all, from a large online outlet, and often times people either have no choice or are looking for a relative deal when looking there.

102 18,712
 09-29-2015, 02:19 AM
User Info
(09-29-2015, 01:57 AM)Agravic Wrote: Well at the end of the day, Freddie : caveat emptor.
These are used items after all, from a large online outlet, and often times people either have no choice or are looking for a relative deal when looking there.

Oh of course. I understand 100% but my point was just people not thinking about it when shipping. It is what it is and what's done is done. Just something that been urking me.

154 3,740
 09-29-2015, 05:28 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
So they take the photos without the blade in place but put the mangy old blade back in to ship it, just lovely. That is like the border guard who dumped the contents of my car's ashtray into his hand looking for what ever. Then pouring the contents back into the ashtray instead of just dumping the contents into the garbage can he was standing next to. Some people just can't connect the dots. Makes no sense.

Bob

0 1,693
 09-29-2015, 09:04 AM
User Info
Ahhhh, the joys of wet shaving! Biggrin

89 21,201
 09-29-2015, 09:09 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Posts stickum note on screen ' BUY RAZORS ONLY FROM BULLGOOSE'

2 3,171
 09-29-2015, 05:31 PM
User Info
As a guy with OCD, I never buy used gear.......like NEVER EVER !

But still, selling a used razor with a used blade in it, is lack of both proper basic hygiene and lack of respect.

25 6,352
 09-29-2015, 10:29 PM
User Info
I am pretty OCD about these things, but I do buy vintage razors. 
My solution is to apply hospital grade sterlization: i just dump it in a jar of lysol for a day (instead if 1-hoar per hospital guidelines). 

I do echo the OP about the absurdity of taking out a rusty blade, holding on to it   (Probably in their mouth) while taking pictures, and putting it backin before shipping... All in a day's work...

You know, you don't need to pass any particular test or exam in order to sell things online. 

But having bought a few vintage razors online that happened to be loaded, it was like continuing from the point in time right after someone's probably last shave ... Nostalgia was replaced by creepiness and to the jar of lysol it went for 2 days.

8 949