09-29-2015, 01:55 PM
User Info
I was able to purchase a small shave den with a few Safety razors and (1) Straight razor that I was going to use...well after may hours of googling all the information that I came up with is that it is a Wade & Butcher with a VR stamp that would indicate the reign of Queen Victoria, which ran from 1837 to 1901. I have had it honed, but the craftsman could not provide any information for me, the only thing I know is that this is a wedge profile with a butcher notch, and when I strop It feels very heavy, the scales are plastic with a rattlesnake pattern.
I contemplating restoring it, but would like to know if its worth it. and by worth it I refer to the blacking or imperfections on the blade that it has. When I got it back after honing they were not there so I wondering if this is normal or if I am responsible for it. I am new to Straights so information would be valuable for me at this point.

I am looking for more information on the blade itself - Am I wrong with the year?

How to store it - I have read to put oil on it 

What a restoration does for Straight razor - is it just plating? 

[img=1211x908]http://i.imgur.com/v7FZRcw.jpg[/img][img=1207x905]http://i.imgur.com/YR4sr2S.jpg[/img][img=1209x906]http://i.imgur.com/llO5tlI.jpg[/img]

25 470
 09-29-2015, 02:47 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Straights are not played. Generally restoring is cleaning, polishing, new scales if needed and honing. It will look as close to new as possible. 

Keep the razor dry and if you are not using it you may want to oil the pivot and razor. Scales of natural material can be kept nice with Renn wax

7 445
 09-29-2015, 03:20 PM
User Info
Thank you for the advice, is there an oil out there I should be using like baby oil or WD40?

25 470
 09-29-2015, 03:39 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Mineral oil, tuff glide, rem oil. Those would be my choices for long term protection.

7 445
 09-29-2015, 09:52 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Sounds like the guy who honed your razor may have used a buffer to remove patina and clean the blade up. Restorers won't plate your razor they'll buff with compounds to polish it or use abrasive compounds to remove rust or pitting. A restorer will also usually make new scales ( handles) for the razor if the old one's are damaged. Usually you show a pic to a prospective restorer and he'll give you an  idea of what can be done, a time table for completion, because its in a line with other restores and cost estimate .

The cost of a restore may exceed the cost  of the blade so its  something to consider in your choice. Also although you may think highly of this blade you might sample others that impress you even more as you go forward and you may think again about wanting this done.

15 541
 09-29-2015, 11:41 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
If you W&B is stamped Sheffield and not Sheffield England it is made prior to 1890/91 with England added after that. Could be marked either way as Queen Victoria's reign straddled that date.

A lot of English SRs I have seen from that time period have scales made of horn and a wedge made of lead.

Sounds like the person who honed up your razor cleaned up the blade too by polishing it bright, not too likely plating it which I have never seen done.

Those black spots are likely water stains from not thoroughly drying the razor after use. They can likely be removed by a light polishing with some metal cleaner like Never Dull. Cleaning it that way may affect the edge which may need to be honed after that. 

To try and avoid those black spots wipe the blade well after use and dry in between the scales also. You could also strop it on the non leather part of your strop, canvas/felt, to make sure the edge is dry. Leave the razor open and let air dry before putting away. Mineral oil or Baby oil seems to work for coating the blade for storage just be sure to rinse the oil off before using the blade again.

Bob

0 1,694
 09-30-2015, 06:48 AM
User Info
Thank you guys for all the information, this has been valuable, I am looking into a half-hallow blade next to compare and see what my face likes. I am super excited to expand my shaving portfolio.

25 470
 09-30-2015, 09:38 AM
User Info
Look old from the picture. I am guessing those are not the original scales so trying to date by them wont help. It was not a full picture but it looks like it is in decent shape. I have a number of razors which have bit of patina on them, they shave fine that way so I don't worry about it. Restoration is up to you, I'd go ahead and use it. If you decide you don't like it, PM me, I love wedge razors and I'd be glad to adopt it.

4 105
 10-10-2015, 05:25 PM
User Info
Send that classic monster to Doc226 for proper scales and minor restoration. He is an artist and a gentleman. You will cherish with amazement shaving with the result.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 17
 10-12-2015, 05:13 AM
User Info
(09-29-2015, 03:20 PM)amaro5211 Wrote: Thank you for the advice, is there an oil out there I should be using like baby oil or WD40?

I love Ballistol best!  Great stuff or camellia oil as well.  I actually use both but not at the same time Biggrin

0 413