09-29-2015, 07:17 PM
User Info
Feather was a great shaver until I moved on from EJ89 to more aggressive razors. I opted for smoother, less aggressive blades like nacet, GSb, etc.

I revisited a feather blade for the first time in 6 months today.
I put it in my trusty stealth slant V1, which I deem to be the smoothest shaver out of all razors I have (close second would be DLC weber)

Did a complete 3 pass with it.

WTG - no problem cut really well
XTG - no problem here as well
ATG - cut really well, felt around my face, did a clean up pass where a little rough.

After cold water rinse, my neck has 4~5 weepers.
I have not gotten this many weepers in a very long time. If I do, I usually get one or two, but not this many.
Strangely, the shave didn't feel harsh or irritating at all. It's just that I got a lot of weepers and I was surprised to see blood running down my neck like I am a newbie all over again.

I guess this is an official good bye to feather blades for me.

53 760
 09-29-2015, 07:37 PM
User Info
The best shave with a feather is the second. I used to love feathers, matter of fact OP we traded 100 feather for polsilvers awhile back.

I've been using nothing but Russian blades since about a month before we traded. Well I loaded up a feather the other day and the same thing happened to me,and they are a lot rougher than I remember too. 

I'll be honest though I couldn't tell the feathers were all that sharper then my go tos which now are polsilvers, gillette blacks,GSBs and the occasional permasharp.

Crazy a year ago I would of said feathers were the best blades hands down and whoever disagreed with me was a fool who didn't know how to shave, again I'm being honest.

Now I think they are overated. Good blades ,just there are blades that cut my hair just as good and are a lot smoother. Bad thing is I have about 400 or 450 feathers now.

3 1,356
 09-29-2015, 07:45 PM
User Info
(09-29-2015, 07:37 PM)Otis375 Wrote: The best shave with a feather is the second. I used to live feathers, matter of fact OP we traded 100 feather for polsilvers awhile back.

I've been using nothing but Russian blades since about a month before we traded. Well I loaded up a feather the other day and the same thing happened to me,and they are a lot rougher than I remember too. 

I'll be honest though I couldn't tell the feathers were all thay sharper then my go tos which now are polsilvers, gillette blacks,GSBs and the occasional permasharp.

Crazy a year ago I would of said feathers were the best blades hands down and whoever disagreed with me was a fool who didn't know how to shave, again I'm being honest.

Now I think they are overated. Good blades ,just there are blades that cut my hair just as good and are a lot smoother. Bad thing is I have about 400 or 450 feathers now.

I agree with you.  It may be sharp, but not enough to put it in a different class by any means. .  People seem to agree that it is rough and resort to corking it or stropping it.  It just never occured to me to do that tonight since it's been so long.  Having that said, I might just give it another shave with it tomorrow or the day after and see if there's any difference.

Weepers are no big deal personally because it goes away with alum and AS, but if other blades don't cause them and feather does, then feather doesn't really stand a chance.

53 760
 09-29-2015, 10:37 PM
User Info
I like Feathers in the mild Pils DE

24 5,858
 09-29-2015, 11:19 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I like what people call aggressive DEs and find, like the OP, that Feather blades are a bit rough in those. They are very sharp for sure but seem like a SR edge that just isn't quite there by a smidge. Sharp is good but smooth and sharp is better. Haven't tried may DE blades but I like Gillette Silver Blues better as they seem to have both qualities, smooth and sharp.

Bob

0 1,694
 09-30-2015, 03:55 AM
  • Thug
  • South Africa
User Info
I used a Feather in my R41 this morning. 3rd shave with the blade but I prefer the R41 with a Polsilver and the Feather in the FaTip.

Both aggressive razors but the Feather gives me a smoother shave in the FaTip.

0 403
 09-30-2015, 04:45 AM
User Info
Feathers are an aggressively sharp blade. You can try lightly "shaving", not stropping a piece of denim. (Couple of passes on each side of the blade) Now your first shave is comparable to your second. I've tried this and it does "soften" the blade. 

39 3,883
 09-30-2015, 04:52 AM
User Info
I have done a number of side-by-side comparisons with Feathers, and I have to agree with all the comments above.  For whatever reason, they have a rough quality (in, for example, my ATT R-1) that often leads to weepers.  My strong preference runs to Super Iridium (either the originals or Polsilver) or Silver Blues, both Russian.  They are, for me at least, just as sharp and noticeably smoother from beginning to end (usually 7 shaves).

Stanley

2 155
 09-30-2015, 05:38 AM
User Info
(09-30-2015, 04:45 AM)primotenore Wrote: Feathers are an aggressively sharp blade. You can try lightly "shaving", not stropping a piece of denim. (Couple of passes on each side of the blade) Now your first shave is comparable to your second. I've tried this and it does "soften" the blade. 

heard that before. should give it a try IF I decide to open another fresh blade down the road.

53 760
 09-30-2015, 05:39 AM
User Info
(09-30-2015, 04:52 AM)radioman4 Wrote: I have done a number of side-by-side comparisons with Feathers, and I have to agree with all the comments above.  For whatever reason, they have a rough quality (in, for example, my ATT R-1) that often leads to weepers.  My strong preference runs to Super Iridium (either the originals or Polsilver) or Silver Blues, both Russian.  They are, for me at least, just as sharp and noticeably smoother from beginning to end (usually 7 shaves).

Stanley

GSB and nacet for me.  Polsilver for some reason feels like it doesn't cut well..YMMV!

53 760
 09-30-2015, 05:40 AM
User Info
(09-29-2015, 10:37 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I like Feathers in the mild Pils DE

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 3,072
 09-30-2015, 05:40 AM
User Info
(09-29-2015, 11:19 PM)BobH Wrote: I like what people call aggressive DEs and find, like the OP, that Feather blades are a bit rough in those. They are very sharp for sure but seem like a SR edge that just isn't quite there by a smidge. Sharp is good but smooth and sharp is better. Haven't tried may DE blades but I like Gillette Silver Blues better as they seem to have both qualities, smooth and sharp.

Bob

+1 on the GSB.  and I also like gillette platinums.

53 760
 09-30-2015, 07:58 AM
User Info
I have only use Feathers on my AS-D2.  I just find them to be a perfect match.

61 3,796
 09-30-2015, 08:23 AM
User Info
I have never enjoyed these blades!

82 21,056
 09-30-2015, 08:57 AM
User Info
(09-30-2015, 08:23 AM)celestino Wrote: I have never enjoyed these blades!

I have never found them pleasant with other razors, but Feathers.

61 3,796
 09-30-2015, 09:33 AM
User Info
(09-30-2015, 08:57 AM)hrfdez Wrote:
(09-30-2015, 08:23 AM)celestino Wrote: I have never enjoyed these blades!
I have never found them pleasant with other razors, but Feathers.

Hector, I can't see myself ordering the AS-D2 for a third time just to try these blades in.  Biggrin

82 21,056
 09-30-2015, 02:56 PM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
(09-30-2015, 07:58 AM)hrfdez Wrote: I have only use Feathers on my AS-D2.  I just find them to be a perfect match.

+1
Perfect combo.

7 325
 09-30-2015, 04:02 PM
User Info
I love my Feathers, but I guess I have mostly razors that are considered mild shavers. We'll see how much I like them when I pick up something a little more aggressive.

0 1,055
 09-30-2015, 04:54 PM
User Info
(09-30-2015, 07:58 AM)hrfdez Wrote: XI have only use Feathers on my AS-D2.  I just find them to be a perfect match. 

+1

But, I only do 2 shaves with them.

1 382
 09-30-2015, 04:59 PM
User Info
(09-29-2015, 07:17 PM)parachutefactory Wrote: Feather was a great shaver until I moved on from EJ89 to more aggressive razors.  I opted for smoother, less aggressive blades like nacet, GSb, etc.

I revisited a feather blade for the first time in 6 months today.
I put it in my trusty stealth slant V1, which I deem to be the smoothest shaver out of all razors I have (close second would be DLC weber)

Did a complete 3 pass with it.

WTG - no problem cut really well
XTG - no problem here as well
ATG - cut really well, felt around my face, did a clean up pass where a little rough.

After cold water rinse, my neck has 4~5 weepers.
I have not gotten this many weepers in a very long time. If I do, I usually get one or two, but not this many.
Strangely, the shave didn't feel harsh or irritating at all. It's just that I got a lot of weepers and I was surprised to see blood running down my neck like I am a newbie all over again.

I guess this is an official good bye to feather blades for me.

I had the same problem with Feather blade in my R41 but then recently revisited it in my EJ DE89 and it was perfect. However, I recently bought a 50 pack of Kai blades and I think these might be the ultimate blade for me.

13 947