09-30-2015, 08:12 AM
User Info
So I have sold off most everything in my nook that I wasn't using, which includes most of the SE and DE razors I had acquired. I am down to a EJ89 on a Weber Bulldog handle.  This is a nice shaver.  However, I want to take a step up both in materials and aggressiveness.  Been looking at the ATT razors.  I like the idea of different base plates and would probably start with the M.  Can anyone advise on how the M compares to my current razor? Also, what else should I be considering?  PILS, Ikon?  As a reference point I am a everday shaver with heavy growth, normal to sensitive skin.  I have used a Fatip successfully for a while, but I didn't like the harshness.  Also used a 2013 R41, but was not impressed.  For me it nearly doubled my morning shaving time having to pay so careful attention.  I enjoy shaving, but I also have to go to work.  Thoughts?  I also get the YMMV, but would just like some personal experiences from people.  Thanks

90 904
 09-30-2015, 08:28 AM
User Info
The M plate is a moderate jump up in aggressiveness compared to the EJ89 (not huge, but noticeable).  The R and S plates would be a bigger step up in aggressiveness.

If you didn't like the R41, I would avoid the H plates for sure.

The good thing about ATT is the ability to exchange plates if you find it doesn't work out.

1 135
 09-30-2015, 09:01 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Good feedback from a fellow Austinite.

In the YMMV spirit, I have the suite of ATT OC2 plates but only the R1 SB so it's not apples-apples. Nontheless, unlike Kyle I find the M2 to be far milder than the D89, even more so with a Weber handle.

The R1 fits in between the D89 and the Fatip you mentioned. Solid shaver on both the OC and SB side.

As to iKon, I like the OC as a mild shaver. The Tech is aggressive and may not be your cup of tea based on the comments on the R41. The Shavecraft 101 is an option though and if you don't mind an aluminum head is solid if on the mild side.

You didn't mention but perhaps an adjustable? A Progress/Mergress/Digress is one of my favorite razors and you have the flexibility without changing plates. Heck, I change between passes!

2 1,180
 09-30-2015, 09:07 AM
User Info
if you want slightly more aggressive feel, M will not give you that.  I think it's even milder than ej89.
Go for R plate, or go right into S plate.  Both are great shavers, but R feels slightly harsh while S feels super smooth.

53 760
 09-30-2015, 09:11 AM
User Info
(09-30-2015, 09:01 AM)kwsher Wrote: Good feedback from a fellow Austinite.

In the YMMV spirit, I have the suite of ATT OC2 plates but only the R1 SB so it's not apples-apples. Nontheless, unlike Kyle I find the M2 to be far milder than the D89, even more so with a Weber handle.

The R1 fits in between the D89 and the Fatip you mentioned. Solid shaver on both the OC and SB side.

As to iKon, I like the OC as a mild shaver. The Tech is aggressive and may not be your cup of tea based on the comments on the R41. The Shavecraft 101 is an option though and if you don't mind an aluminum head is solid if on the mild side.

You didn't mention but perhaps an adjustable? A Progress/Mergress/Digress is one of my favorite razors and you have the flexibility without changing plates. Heck, I change between passes!
I hadn't really thought about an adjustable as they always looked so bulky to me  i have heard a lot of talk about the merges but don't really know what it is? I'm also looking for something heirloom gradgrade. Does that fit the bill

90 904
 09-30-2015, 09:50 AM
User Info
Why don't you just shim your EJ89, or try an adjustable, such as the Progress, Mergress or Digress.

Just too many great razors to recommend only one to you as this is all very subjective! Shy

83 21,115
 09-30-2015, 10:20 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(09-30-2015, 09:11 AM)chromedometone Wrote:
(09-30-2015, 09:01 AM)kwsher Wrote: Good feedback from a fellow Austinite.

I hadn't really thought about an adjustable as they always looked so bulky to me  i have heard a lot of talk about the merges but don't really know what it is? I'm also looking for something heirloom gradgrade. Does that fit the bill
I really like the Mergress but it is a Zamak razor so I wouldn't classify it as heirloom quality.

You could always buy a Slim or Fatboy and have it replated in rhodium, etc. that would give you an adjustable with a lot of history and also I feel would be heirloom quality goods. The ATT I would definitely class as heirloom quality.

I do tend to agree with Celestino in that there are so many great options right now it is hard to select just one.

2 1,180
 10-05-2015, 08:31 PM
User Info
I started wet shaving about a year and a half ago. I started with an DE89 barley and this was my only razor until the past few months. I was looking for the same thing, something more aggressive but not crazy like the R41. I found an above the tie R1 and after inquiring about the agression of this razor was convinced to try it. I'm glad I did this razor is a work of art and provides an amazing shave. The M plate may be a step up from the de89 but the R1 is more of a step up without being out of control. You can feel a lot more of the blade on your face than with the DE 89 but I never had a problem with nicks or weepers I would highly recommend it. I haven't touched the de89 (great razor) since I got the ATT R1 and my Ikon DLC slant.

8 24
 10-06-2015, 11:41 AM
User Info
Have you considered a slant?

0 61
 10-07-2015, 04:55 AM
User Info
I had slants before.  I have had the merkur and shavecraft.  Shavecraft was okay, but nothing to write home about.  I sold it.  as a result of this thread, I decided to try a Progress.  Bought a long handled progress.  

My thoughst
1) Come on Merkur, you can manufacture a better product, which leads to point 2...
2) Especially considering how fantastic a razor it is.  It is incredible.  I may get a mergress or digress in the future, but stock it is a really nice shaving razor.  In fact, this morning I got a great shave set at a 2, and it only took 2 passes!  Had I taken some more time and done some light touch up, it would have been BBS.  That is incredible, and in the dozens of DE razors I have tried, this has by far been the best.  I am trading for a red tip gillette because I have always wanted one, and it is only going to "cost" me a brush I was selling anyway.  But after that, who knows, I may not get another razor (unless it is a mergress or a digress for quite some time)!  
Thanks to the posters above who suggested it

90 904