09-30-2015, 08:30 AM
  • Ram57
  • Boise, ID
User Info
Can anyone tell me the difference if any between the B2 and B3 Moongoose head?

I tried my Brother in law B2 polished back in March and didn't care for the blade fit, dragged a little and started feeling stubble within four hours and with my Cobra don't feel stubble until 8-9 hours down the road. Curious to find out if any improvements have been made to consider looking into the B3.

101 1,981
 09-30-2015, 08:46 AM
User Info
Just out of curiosity what blade did you try? The cobra seems to do quite well with a mild blade from my research, while IMO the sweet spot for the mongoose is found with a more aggressive blade.

As for differences the one major one I know of is the tabs that hold the blade in place go completely through the base plate to allow for rinsing without dis-assembly

26 761
 09-30-2015, 08:49 AM
User Info
I use Kai Milds in my Goose and I have never felt dragging or tugging.

But there are a lot of factors involve here, just not the blade.  Your beard has a lot to do with the performance of a razor, that's why I never entertain the aggressive vs. non aggressive argument, is all relative and exclusive to each individual.

61 3,796
 09-30-2015, 09:01 AM
User Info
(09-30-2015, 08:49 AM)hrfdez Wrote: I use Kai Milds in my Goose and I have never felt dragging or tugging.

But there are a lot of factors involve here, just not the blade.  Your beard has a lot to do with the performance of a razor, that's why I never entertain the aggressive vs. non aggressive argument, is all relative and exclusive to each individual.

I never had issues with dragging either with the milds, they were the smoothest for me but I like the kai standard, sharp or feather pro better especially around the chin where my stubble is thick.

Another thing that could contribute is the lather, and in all honesty that's most likely the culprit. I like it nice and slick, needs that sheen and I also like a good pre but that's not necessery

26 761
 09-30-2015, 09:02 AM
User Info
(09-30-2015, 09:01 AM)Safelysimpson Wrote:
(09-30-2015, 08:49 AM)hrfdez Wrote: I use Kai Milds in my Goose and I have never felt dragging or tugging.

I never had issues with dragging either with the milds, they were the smoothest for me but I like the kai standard, sharp or feather pro better especially around the chin where my stubble is thick.

Another thing that could contribute is the lather, and in all honesty that's most likely the culprit. I like it nice and slick, needs that sheen and I also like a good pre but that's not necessery

Good points!   Smile

61 3,796
 09-30-2015, 10:26 AM
  • Ram57
  • Boise, ID
User Info
(09-30-2015, 08:46 AM)Safelysimpson Wrote: Just out of curiosity what blade did you try? The cobra seems to do quite well with a mild blade from my research, while IMO the sweet spot for the mongoose is found with a more aggressive blade.

As for differences the one major one I know of is the tabs that hold the blade in place go completely through the base plate to allow for rinsing without dis-assembly

I have the Titan Milds which I don't care for but I use the Feather pro the most and also have the Feather Pro Super which is a little too sharp. I think Super is for beards and such. When I test drove my brother in laws B2 it was with a Feather Pro which he also prefers. He ended up selling his B2 for the same reason I posted above. Hence the question asking if any changes from the B2 to B3.

101 1,981
 09-30-2015, 11:02 AM
User Info
I am using a B2 (satin finish), now with Feather Pro Super blades, and -- after 4 weeks of regular use -- can report that it is very, very good indeed.  My experience, also, is that the Cobra needs either a mild blade or a very light touch.  The Mongoose is a different animal entirely.   With the Pro Super blades, I am now getting a very, very close multi-pass shave with zero weepers or irritation.  But of course, it all depends on the face being shaved!

Stanley

2 155
 10-01-2015, 01:42 AM
  • clint64
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
I am aware of only the longer pins that go through the bottom plate on the B3.  To my knowledge that is the only change from the the B2 to the B3

7 1,156
 10-01-2015, 03:34 AM
User Info
Geometry and all other shaving characteristics are the same. Either technique needs to be modified or the razor isn't for you.

31 8,054
 10-01-2015, 05:34 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(10-01-2015, 03:34 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Geometry and all other shaving characteristics are the same...

I found this not to be so with the B1 vs the B2 (as illustrated below). I found the B1 less comfortable than the B2.

[Image: yfbc7eh.png]

EDIT: Image loaded twice, duplicate removed.

99 18,011
 10-01-2015, 08:32 AM
User Info
Ben, I agree.  My batch 1 Mongoose seems harsh compared to my batch 2 one.  My batch 2 is the only one I use now.

5 160
 10-01-2015, 09:11 AM
User Info
(10-01-2015, 05:34 AM)ben74 Wrote:
(10-01-2015, 03:34 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Geometry and all other shaving characteristics are the same...

I found this not to be so with the B1 vs the B2 (as illustrated below). I found the B1 less comfortable than the B2.

[Image: yfbc7eh.png]

[Image: B9HfxLA.png]

I believe that the question was for B2 & B3. I was unaware of any difference between B1 & B2 to be honest. However, it isn't completely surprising given that the production facility was changed after B1. So now that (to my knowledge) the razors from B2 on are made from the same manufacturer I would definitely expect there to be no difference in the shaving geometry and characteristics.

31 8,054
 10-01-2015, 10:23 AM
  • Ram57
  • Boise, ID
User Info
(09-30-2015, 08:30 AM)Ram57 Wrote: Can anyone tell me the difference if any between the B2 and B3 Moongoose head?

I tried my Brother in law B2 polished back in March and didn't care for the blade fit, dragged a little and started feeling stubble within four hours and with my Cobra don't feel stubble until 8-9 hours down the road. Curious to find out if any improvements have been made to consider looking into the B3.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Looks like the Mongoose just isn't for me.

101 1,981
 10-01-2015, 01:50 PM
User Info
(10-01-2015, 10:23 AM)Ram57 Wrote:
(09-30-2015, 08:30 AM)Ram57 Wrote: Can anyone tell me the difference if any between the B2 and B3 Moongoose head?

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Looks like the Mongoose just isn't for me.

I had a similar experience:  found that the Mongoose gave a rather poor shave no matter how hard I tried.  Then I loaded it with Feather pro Super blades: a very different story.  Excellent, non-irritating shave.  You owe it to yourself to try a different blade.   I find the Mongoose a very mild design, completely different from the Cobra.   But it can shave very well, with the right blade.   Still, you may prefer the Cobra, as many do.

Stanley

2 155
 10-01-2015, 03:43 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(10-01-2015, 08:32 AM)Kyle 3 Pass Wrote: Ben, I agree.  My batch 1 Mongoose seems harsh compared to my batch 2 one.  My batch 2 is the only one I use now.

Happy to learn I wasn't the only one!

99 18,011
 10-01-2015, 03:58 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(10-01-2015, 09:11 AM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(10-01-2015, 05:34 AM)ben74 Wrote:
(10-01-2015, 03:34 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Geometry and all other shaving characteristics are the same. Either technique needs to be modified or the razor isn't for you.

I believe that the question was for B2 & B3. I was unaware of any difference between B1 & B2 to be honest. However, it isn't completely surprising given that the production facility was changed after B1. So now that (to my knowledge) the razors from B2 on are made from the same manufacturer I would definitely expect there to be no difference in the shaving geometry and characteristics.

Yes Brian, the OP asked about B2 vs B3. I do not own a B3, but I did observe a noticeable physical difference and a noticeable difference in comfort between the B1 and the B2. Given there are differences between the first two batches there is a possibility that there might be differences with all three batches. I thought my comments might be of some value to the OP, rather than simply criticising technique and/or razor choice (but you are right - the Mongoose isn't the best razor for everyone). I know you are very passionate about the Mongoose and I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

Further in attempting to assist the OP, finish also has an impact on performance. Admittedly it is extremely minor, however the co-efficent of friction for different surfaces and materials has a direct (and measurable) relation to glide.

99 18,011
 10-01-2015, 04:17 PM
User Info
Ben, don't take my to the point reply as "getting my feathers ruffled". I just answered the question succinctly and wanted to reply to your info as I found it interesting. I felt the added info regarding the manufacturer change would explain the difference between 1 & 2 but also why I think 2 and so on would be much more similar.

31 8,054
 10-01-2015, 04:31 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Thanks Brian.

I do agree with you that batch variation between B2 and B3 is likely to be minimal or non existent. 

I forget that not everyone is as well informed - I knew of the change in manufacturer too and assumed it was common knowledge. Regardless, it is certainly important to highlight. 

In contrast, I've seen little or no discussion on variation in physical size and performance of B1 vs B2 (despite others as indicated above, obviously sharing the same experience). 
However, due to some personal issues I took a couple of months off the forums (and there have certainly been some changes since my return) so I may have missed it.

99 18,011
 10-01-2015, 04:38 PM
User Info
I haven't been active for some time either. From what I've seen the Mongoose chatter has been fairly quiet. This happens as supply catches up to demand and more people are able to experience if this is the razor for them or not. 

There is no one razor for everyone. And any razor that isn't performing well has only a few outcomes. 1. Change blade. 2. Change technique (razor stroke technique & lather technique). 3. Not a suitable razor for this person. No sense wasting time trying to make something work that isn't going to. That's why I don't even try a DE anymore. Just trying to let this gent know that it's perfectly fine for the Mongoose to not be the razor for him and I hope he finds his best setup soon.

31 8,054