06-29-2012, 04:04 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, this is what you call putting the cart before the horse, or the other way around.

I just ordered one of the Vulfix 404 Grosvenor Boar/Badger brushes. Anyone that owns one, was this a good or bad decision?

173 23,554
 06-29-2012, 04:12 AM
User Info
I like it. It works very well right out of the box, and it is a good brush at a killer price.

And the handle is one of the best handles in all of shavedom!

2 5,532
 06-29-2012, 04:57 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(06-29-2012, 04:12 AM)oversaturn Wrote: I like it. It works very well right out of the box, and it is a good brush at a killer price.

And the handle is one of the best handles in all of shavedom!

Well then, that's good enough for me.Smile

173 23,554
 06-29-2012, 06:11 AM
User Info
I don't! Had this "fight" with oversaturn many times... Dodgy

It's a boar brush, it has so little badger it almost looks to be accidental! The bristles are stiff, it's not very dense and I never liked the grip of the handle!

I think there's a reason you see more of them re-knoted than in their original state!

But here's hoping you love it, after all you're a bigger boar aficionado than I am!

0 42
 06-29-2012, 07:49 AM
User Info
I loved the handle but didn't like the knot so much. For the price, you can't complain.

My 404 now has a TGN finest 22mm fan. One of my favourites now.

7 1,179
 06-29-2012, 07:58 AM
User Info
Well, you have many re-knots with that handle, yes - that is exactly because of how good the handle is!

I didn't re-knotted mine. I like the knot as it is. It's mainly boar, yes - but I like boar brushes. And besides, I have the 2-band Simfix version of the Grosvenor also. Biggrin

2 5,532
 06-29-2012, 08:21 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Its a good brush for its price and a perfect handle to re knot...Biggrin

86 7,124
 06-29-2012, 08:27 AM
User Info
I used it exclusively for a little over a year. It was a great brush, but I think my hard water did it in. The consensus was that the calcium got on the boar bristles, and made them brittle. The splite ends started to break off, and left a scratchy hair that would not re-split. The brush was retired when a few of the boar hairs were showing signs of breaking off at several points on the hair. I had only done a vinegar bath at 6 months, so I blame myself and my usage, head and face lathering everyday, and a couple extra face lathers a week for evenings with the LOTH. I am going to reknot the handle, it is fantastic. Before I bought the brush I asked about it, and one of the responses said that I would like the brush, but the handle is so great I should reknot it sometime.

0 103
 06-29-2012, 09:05 AM
User Info
I also thought the knot looked somewhat mangy and sparse when I got mine, but it just works for me. The boar allows the lower density to maintain good backbone, and the lack of density and interspersed badger hairs give it great lather holding ability and flow through. I also like the scrubby face feel. I was pleasantly surprised by mine.

0 419
 06-29-2012, 12:41 PM
User Info
It's ok, not great, not horrible. It's ok for face lathering, but even then, there are better options. I don't see the point of reknotting it, the handle isn't anything special. The only brush I would consider reknotting would be the Vie-Long Zurito.

9 451
 06-29-2012, 12:55 PM
User Info
(06-29-2012, 12:41 PM)Johnny9 Wrote: It's ok, not great, not horrible. It's ok for face lathering, but even then, there are better options. I don't see the point of reknotting it, the handle isn't anything special. The only brush I would consider reknotting would be the Vie-Long Zurito.

i think it's a good candidate for a re-knot as it's a nice, hand turned, $25 brush.

i have a used one headed my way, and if it doesn't work out with the stock knot, i'll be re-knotting as well.

8 2,718
 06-29-2012, 04:02 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(06-29-2012, 12:41 PM)Johnny9 Wrote: It's ok, not great, not horrible. It's ok for face lathering, but even then, there are better options. I don't see the point of reknotting it, the handle isn't anything special. The only brush I would consider reknotting would be the Vie-Long Zurito.

I think the other way around : I find the Vie Long Zurito handle not worthy to re knot it and the 404 one of the best ones to do so.Well,as I did read once : " “no one is prophet in their own land ".

86 7,124