09-30-2015, 04:40 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I bought my first Plisson a #10 HMW about 18 months ago. I liked it so much I subsequently bought a  12, 16 and 20 as well. As I obtained the larger brushes I used the 10 less and less. I finally decided to assign it the role as a travel brush. This brush never shed a hair in all the time I owned it until this month. I just returned from a months stay in France.I brought the 10 with me and used it on average every other day. The first 2 weeks everything was fine. The third week the brush started to shed . It sheds about 6 to 8 hairs every time I use it now. The only thing different about it's use is the frequency that I used the brush and the fact that while in France I stored the brush on it's base with the knot up. At home the brush is stored knot down and used once or twice a month rather than every other day. Any ideas what could be causing the problem? Possible solutions?

68 1,068
 09-30-2015, 04:44 PM
User Info
Well brushes can 'shed' hairs for a few MONTHS after purchase.  So if your brush has been in storage, maybe it's just all the residual shedding catching up with you?

18 654
 09-30-2015, 04:58 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Capillary action ensures brushes dry equally well regardless of knot orientation. 

Soap residue and dampness can lead to issues.

Having a large rotation, I've occasionally noticed that upon revisiting a brush it loses a few hairs when previously it did not.

I've really only ever had one or two brushes that were definitely faulty. One of those lost large clumps of hairs indicating a very real problem.

Comb the brush through and monitor. If the brush has been cared for properly and been afforded an opportunity to cease shedding, but continues to persist then contact Plisson direct.

99 18,011
 09-30-2015, 05:02 PM
User Info
If you're thinking it's due to storing it upright instead of in a stand, I highly doubt it. I had a shedding brush that I stored on it's base and wondered the same. Got a replacement brush and hung it in a stand. Same thing, more shedding. It was a bad batch of knots and the vendor came to this conclusion as well. In my case it took about 10 to 15 lathers before the knots started shedding. So I agree with GloryUprising, it was probably going to start shedding no matter what you did.

40 1,166
 09-30-2015, 05:23 PM
User Info
How much use did the #10 get before you quasi-replaced it with the other Plissons? I am asking because maybe it was always going to be a shedder and it just didn't get really used until your trip to France. Just thinking out loud. Good luck.

39 3,918
 09-30-2015, 05:50 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I came back today and just unpacked it. I will clean it real well brush it and let it dry out for a few days and then try it again. I didn't think it was because i stored the brush upright I was just trying to state all the variables that were different in the brushes use before and after the brush began shedding. I hope Plisson will honor any repairs after such a long time after purchase. I love the horn handle so much I would probably pay for a re knotting myself.

68 1,068
 09-30-2015, 07:59 PM
User Info
(09-30-2015, 04:58 PM)ben74 Wrote: Capillary action ensures brushes dry equally well regardless of knot orientation. 

Having a large rotation, I've occasionally noticed that upon revisiting a brush it loses a few hairs when previously it did not.

I've really only ever had one or two brushes that were definitely faulty. One of those lost large clumps of hairs indicating a very real problem.

Comb the brush through and monitor. If the brush has been cared for properly and been afforded an opportunity to cease shedding, but continues to persist then contact Plisson direct.

Great reply, Ben !

24 5,962
 09-30-2015, 09:32 PM
User Info
Best of luck trying to remedy the situation! It could just be experience a temporary loss of hair. Try what Ben has suggested and see what happens.

82 21,077
 10-01-2015, 02:49 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Sorry to hear about the shedding, Barry. I hope your trip to France was a success,

I do not think this issue with the 10 should be any indicator of things to come with your other Plissons. But I am bothered by it because of a recent experience I had with two shedding HMW size 18s. The pattern of hair loss in both instances began at about 10 uses and steadily progressed to a loss of 30-50 hairs per shave. At 18 months in and with many more uses, your size 10 sounds like a different situation. I would continue to use it regularly (with enough time to dry between each use) and see what happens. I would consider what effects use may have had, like incomplete drying, soap scum build up at the knot base, or whether using with a swirling motion could be to blame. I would have scoffed at that last item (swirling) before I read this:

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/01/07/style/...brush.html

Notice it's from 1983.

See what your vendor has to say about the hair loss. Good luck contacting Plisson directly, though. When I was dealing with my size 18 shedders, I sent many emails to Plisson with not a single reply.

Andrew

43 1,698
 10-01-2015, 04:43 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Barry I wish you good luck as well and hope that Plisson will stand behind the product.

Andrew, interesting read. I have always used circular motion to build lather and have heard time and time again from various sources that it could be detrimental to the life of the brush.

I haven't notice any ill effect so far (I have been wetshaving for close to 11 years and still have original brushes I started with) but I also don't aggressively splay the brush beyond a certain point.

Certainly food for thought and thanks for sharing.

2 1,180
 10-01-2015, 05:06 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(09-30-2015, 07:59 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(09-30-2015, 04:58 PM)ben74 Wrote: Capillary action ensures brushes dry equally well regardless of knot orientation. 

Great reply, Ben !

Thank-you Claus!

(Nice to know someone appreciates me).

99 18,011