10-01-2015, 07:43 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Ηow frustrating is for a customer to see prices rising within a few months two times? I wonder what they are thinking some artisans about their customers. Βecause they are satisfied with a product, that doesn't mean that they will continue to buy their products, ignoring any policy of the company. The fact that a product is successful, people make reviews and many wet- shavers want to try it, doesn't mean that the company should raise their prices. For a loyal customer, that's a good reason to stop buying their products. Another thing that's very important for loyal customers, who will continue buying, is a "safe" environment with unchanged prices. When you change your prices 2(!) times that's not a thing wet- shavers will be happy with. You must respect your customers and not seeing them only like "money givers". I know that every company has its costs, its policy and marketing project. Also, I know that cosmetic companies have big profits most of the times. Most of the ingredients in large quantities cost almost nothing to each bowl of soap. So, what they are doing. They make some good, decent products that wet- shavers like and recommend them. When they see their sales rising up, they choose to raise their prices. That's not a good thing most of the times, especially when your products are pricey. Τhat's not exactly the law of demand. Instead of taking this decision, they could just keep their prices as they are and soon enough their products will be widely available. More wet- shavers will be able to buy them. Making an already premium product more expensive, is just a meaningless decision. That's my honest opinion. I am not going to support anymore those tactics of artisans and vendors who don't respect their customers. Also, I am not going to name any company, any artisan but it's not too difficult to understand what I mean. I am sure that there are many examples.

57 2,300
 10-01-2015, 07:55 AM
User Info
I'm sure it happens but I have no idea who you're talking about. 

For soaps in particular, almost all new-er small-er company soaps give me skin problems so maybe that keeps me out of the raising prices. Will be giving MW a second try when it arrives but I don't think they have changed their prices recently. 

On the other hand, I think James did a good thing raising his prices.

9 1,443
 10-01-2015, 09:53 AM
User Info
I agree OP, IF the artisan is raising prices just to raise prices. However if they are raising prices because say they found a new essential oil thay works better for them and it's more expensive,or something like that then I understand the mark up. However jacking up prices just to jack them up with no change in the product or packaging is wrong.

Funny ,kind of reminds me of a few years back I went and bought my bulk pack of bath soap. Got home jumped on the shower and opened a new box of shower soap. Now I paid the same price for the same soap there was no difference in price or packaging. When I opened my soap the bar was like half the size it used to be! The soap companies had just started putting smaller bars in the same boxes and for the same prices . People went crazy about that...

3 1,356
 10-01-2015, 10:00 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Like Imperial Leather bath soaps...

Some examples of companies which raised their prices are D.R. Harris( 30% up) and Pannacrema from November. Nuavia is the expensive line and I wonder how much will cost( link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/s//ref=mw_...PannaCrema ). I won't be able to buy their soaps again. It's simple as that.

57 2,300
 10-01-2015, 10:07 AM
User Info
Evil Irish spring...I honestly felt robbed . I opened the box and was literally like WTH? Sneaky too Irish spring didn't say anything to anybody ,guess they thought people wouldn't notice the little bar vs the big bar you used to get. I buy bath soap in bulk anyway so I may get I don't know how many bars ,however many Sams sells.

3 1,356
 10-01-2015, 10:13 AM
User Info
(10-01-2015, 10:07 AM)Otis375 Wrote: Evil Irish spring...I honestly felt robbed . I opened the box and was literally like WTH? Sneaky too Irish spring didn't say anything to anybody ,guess they thought people wouldn't notice the little bar vs the big bar you used to get. I buy bath soap in bulk anyway so I may get I don't know how many bars ,however many Sams sells.

61 3,796
 10-01-2015, 01:33 PM
User Info
(10-01-2015, 10:13 AM)hrfdez Wrote:
(10-01-2015, 10:07 AM)Otis375 Wrote: Evil Irish spring...I honestly felt robbed . I opened the box and was literally like WTH? Sneaky too Irish spring didn't say anything to anybody ,guess they thought people wouldn't notice the little bar vs the big bar you used to get. I buy bath soap in bulk anyway so I may get I don't know how many bars ,however many Sams sells.

+1  24

I was thinking it was from some artisan who custom makes soaps lol. Not sure what it is about knowing it's Irish Spring that cracked me up. Still a dirty trick to pull!

154 3,740
 10-01-2015, 01:44 PM
User Info
Pet foods recently did the same thing.  The 40 lb bags of dry dog food shrank to 34 lb bags a couple of years ago, but the cost didn't shrink at all.

1 307
 10-01-2015, 01:49 PM
User Info
My family owned our own businesses for over two hundred years, and I was involved in it until my father sold it, made a killing, and retired.  I'll never question the motives of a business when they raise prices, running a business is not cheap and the overhead expenses could be high as well.

I travel all over the world consulting and lecturing in business related matters, from customer service to agricultural development.  I have met all type of business owners and they always say the same thing, is getting more expensive to run a business day in and day out.

As a consumer you can always take your money elsewhere, and that's what I do if I don't agree with the price or if I feel the owner is a scoundrel.  Owning a business is not easy and it is design to make money, whomever tell you otherwise is lying, if that were the case they would just give their product for free.

I understand the frustration, but that's how a business work.  I would hope that for a price hike the product is better, but that's not always the case.

Cheer up!

61 3,796
 10-01-2015, 01:50 PM
User Info
(10-01-2015, 01:33 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote:
(10-01-2015, 10:13 AM)hrfdez Wrote:

+1  24

I was thinking it was from some artisan who custom makes soaps lol. Not sure what it is about knowing it's Irish Spring that cracked me up. Still a dirty trick to pull!

It was a nice one Biggrin

61 3,796
 10-01-2015, 01:58 PM
User Info
I do notice that sometimes. Not saying names but I've seen lots of overtly positive praise and a sudden rush of popularity and then the price hike occurs. Coincidence?

18 716
 10-01-2015, 02:04 PM
User Info
(10-01-2015, 01:58 PM)fram773 Wrote: I do notice that sometimes. Not saying names but I've seen lots of overtly positive praise and a sudden rush of popularity and then the price hike occurs. Coincidence?

That's a fair assessment IMO.  I'll go a step further, they get the Prima Donna Syndrome, they think their product is infallible and no matter what, even if it looks substandard, people must buy it without criticism.  That's one of the biggest turn off for me.  If one can't take criticism, then one should not be in business.

61 3,796
 10-01-2015, 02:58 PM
User Info
Haven't you seen the news - there is no inflation. Biggrin

Went to the store today and wanted steak for dinner then I saw the price - yikes.  It isn't soap that went up....

4 489
 10-04-2015, 04:50 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Just like you and I like to see a raise in our paychecks, so do the guys who make and sell the products we buy. As long as price hikes are infrequent and easy for me to absorb, I just chalk it up to the always increasing cost of living. If not, I look for another product on which to spend my hard earned dough.

10 3,041
 10-04-2015, 05:02 PM
User Info
(10-04-2015, 04:50 PM)chazt Wrote: Just like you and I like to see a raise in our paychecks, so do the guys who make and sell the products we buy. As long as price hikes are infrequent and easy for me to absorb, I just chalk it up to the always increasing cost of living. If not, I look for another product on which to spend my hard earned dough.

I'm like that on some things. I don't want to be fooled like I was with Irish spring tell me I'm getting less for more or less for the same.

Everybody has to eat,if your raising costs to pay for insurance for your employees or to lay them more so be it,hell I want to make more money too,when honda Jacks up the prices on their vehicles I'm happy because maybe I'll see a little of that cash too.

If your making a better product with better ingredients good for you I'll pay that too. Or if your in trouble and need to raise prices to cover yoyour overheard that's fine too,you gotta eat.

BuT when your raising prices out of nothing more than greed or because you know your product could really fetch this amount, I can't say I wouldn't buy it because if I really like something I'm going to get it. However when prices are raised for no other reason but greed I may start looking elsewhere unless I just love the product.

3 1,356
 10-04-2015, 06:27 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(10-04-2015, 05:02 PM)Otis375 Wrote:
(10-04-2015, 04:50 PM)chazt Wrote: Just like you and I like to see a raise in our paychecks, so do the guys who make and sell the products we buy. As long as price hikes are infrequent and easy for me to absorb, I just chalk it up to the always increasing cost of living. If not, I look for another product on which to spend my hard earned dough.

I'm like that on some things. I don't want to be fooled like I was with Irish spring tell me I'm getting less for more or less for the same.

Everybody has to eat,if your raising costs to pay for insurance for your employees or to lay them more so be it,hell I want to make more money too,when honda Jacks up the prices on their vehicles I'm happy because maybe I'll see a little of that cash too.

If your making a better product with better ingredients good for you I'll pay that too. Or if your in trouble and need to raise prices to cover yoyour overheard that's fine too,you gotta eat.

BuT when your raising prices out of nothing more than greed or because you know your product could really fetch this amount, I can't say I wouldn't buy it because if I really like something I'm going to get it. However when prices are raised for no other reason but greed I may start looking elsewhere unless I just love the product.

Well said! Your experience with Irish Spring reminds me of how cans of tuna and coffee have remained the same size while the contents shrivel. 

Fwiw, just recently I noticed that a well known artisan soap maker who's products I like and use, has raised prices a buck or two on different labels. I'm not going to begrudge the guy the few dollars he needs to meet cost increases so he can stay in business and continue to make products I like. Just my .02 Smile

10 3,041
 10-04-2015, 06:38 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
Slightly off topic, but...

I bake. Chocolate chips have been in 12 ounce bags for a long time. Nestle, Hershey, etc all 12 oz bags.

Now, however, Ghiradelli has reduced their bag size of their milk chocolate chips to 11.5 oz. Yeah its not THAT much you think. Its really 4.3%
AND it jacks with any recipe that uses a 12 ounce bag.

Kinda like the dog food people. I remember when they reduced can size from 11 ounce to 10.5 ounces. 6% increase in cost per ounce.

And, yes I know the cost of doing business is getting high. I just don't care for the disguised price hikes!

62 1,742
 10-05-2015, 03:46 AM
User Info
Nobody likes it when prices go up, but everyone wants a "cost of living" raise. Just saying. It's a vicious cycle.

48 4,625
 10-05-2015, 05:17 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(10-05-2015, 03:46 AM)primotenore Wrote: Nobody likes it when prices go up, but everyone wants a "cost of living" raise. Just saying. It's a vicious cycle.

I agree; cost of goods sold goes up and that translates to escalating prices.

I don't support hidden cost increases as others have mentioned by playing packaging and/or labeling games but don't recall a single instance of this in our space.

2 1,180
 10-05-2015, 06:08 AM
User Info
(10-05-2015, 05:17 AM)kwsher Wrote:
(10-05-2015, 03:46 AM)primotenore Wrote: Nobody likes it when prices go up, but everyone wants a "cost of living" raise. Just saying. It's a vicious cycle.

I agree; cost of goods sold goes up and that translates to escalating prices.

I don't support hidden cost increases as others have mentioned by playing packaging and/or labeling games but don't recall a single instance of this in our space.
I have never been fooled by this maneuver. I believe also that the majority of consumers aren't fooled either. Can't really call it hidden. Disguised, maybe.

48 4,625