10-01-2015, 10:57 AM
User Info
I guess in this lifestyle we have all been plagued with how to spend our money on the next razor and which brand to get.  I have a sweet spot in my razor world for German made work horses.  But I have added a American made PRC to the stable which has been a great well made razor.  So the journey began to find the next razor to add to the rotation like a bullpen of pitchers on a baseball team.  I looked and consulted and was torn between yet another Ralf Aust (which by the way is one of the best razors one can own for price) therefore a few in my stable; another Revisor as well which seem to be on par if not just as good for holding an edge; even looked to another PRC for the fact they are great razors and the ability to customize/personalize it a added bonus; then I ran to a southwestern US artisan named Jerry Stark.  I did some reading and looked extensively at Jerry's work/razors.  I had a few I liked but really could not at first say yes, that is what I want.

So I kept looking and speaking to folks who have a great reputation like Scott and Hunter at PRC to get quotes and then back to already made razors ready to go and really coming close to another Revisor or Aust but was drawn back to Stark to look his work over again.  I decided that his traditional blade design, simplistic and traditional would serve me best.  So I decided on a 7/8 round point with a set of micarta scales.  The owners who have bought from him say they are well made and hold an edge.  Well, we will see when it comes in for sure.

0 413
 10-01-2015, 11:11 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Please post a photo when it arrivesSmile

59 4,381
 10-01-2015, 11:33 AM
User Info
They look OK the scales remind me of the Budell custom razors one thing I don't like about them or any other custom razors is an abrubt square heel, I can tell you they are not particularly user friendly.

11 1,921
 10-01-2015, 11:58 AM
User Info
(10-01-2015, 11:11 AM)eengler Wrote: Please post a photo when it arrivesSmile

Will do!

0 413
 10-05-2015, 10:48 AM
User Info
Okay the JS #018 arrived!  It is a nice looking razor but had some oxidation spots on the razor that were noticeable but no rust!  I used Flitz to try and remove them but was unable to totally.  So I am not reviewing this razor yet in the "review" section for a reason.  You will see why in just a moment if you read this first impression.

Impressions were a nice hefty razor and the scales are beautiful.  I was worried about them from the looks and what they were but really are nice.  So the blade itself is a very hefty and appeared to be ground evenly and the bevel edge looked uniform and very consistent over it's length.  However, when I tried the hair test on my arm to pick off single hairs with the blade at 4 points along the blades edge the toe was very weak and not taking hairs off.  As I went down the blade however it got better.  I attribute this to the blade not being honed to perfection or shave ready like I am accustomed to.

The scales like I stated are very nice.  However, they were loose in the terms of the blade falling open and shut easily by the blades weight.  I assume they need to be slightly tightened for I believe the blade should be more snug than falling open.  I know like all to be careful and not over tighten the hex screws.  The wedge is reddish in color and adds a bit to the blade.

Now to the brass tax of a razor...........how it shaves.

Well as I expected not being honed to perfection it had some tug and felt a bit clunky because of that.  Also the blade is suppose to be a "full hollow" grind but it is more of a 1/4 hollow grind at best.  I have nothing against a 1/4 hollow grind because my PRC is and shaves like a dream.  I just don't see visually this is a full.  Now other than pictures of grind profiles I have no idea what makes it that but this is almost wedge like feeling when shaving.  I performed a three pass shave like always which is a "WTG"; "XTG"; and "ATG" passes.  It did bite a few times but I was able to get a decent shave with the usual trouble areas of my most proficient razors.

So what is next?????

Well, I will put this razor to the hones to do a full progression minus a bevel set because I don't think that lies in the problem.  Once I do this and CroMox on a wooden paddle strop and do a few indicators for the razors sharpness I will shave and post a full write up. 

But here are pictures of this razor and she is a real beauty.............just hope I get her honed in as I say.  Stay tuned!

[Image: EmZIofv.jpg]

[Image: iVhpxYe.jpg]

[Image: mhkuTba.jpg]

0 413
 10-05-2015, 11:06 AM
User Info
Don't know enough to comment on a straight razor, but one thing I know is that she looks pretty amazing

24 470
 10-06-2015, 08:47 AM
User Info
(10-05-2015, 11:06 AM)amaro5211 Wrote: Don't know enough to comment on a straight razor, but one thing I know is that she looks pretty amazing

Thank you kindly amaro5211.

0 413
 10-06-2015, 09:41 AM
User Info
Mine came passing the HHT out of the box. Shave wise it felt more like a half hollow. You could hear and feel the feedback. I have shaved with big full wedges like W&B and Koorat. They have 0 feedback. You just feel a slight hesitation in blade movement as it hits stubble

3 742