06-29-2012, 08:54 AM
User Info
Well, we are back from our vacation in Europe to the Baltic countries; we had a truly amazing trip. I was surprised by the lack of DE products in stores even in Russia and Estonia. I saw the most stuff in some convenience stores in Germany. But, I did pick up a tube of Arko Sensitive with Cyrillic writing in Russia.

I met with my manufacturer yesterday and picked up a prototype of the next razor model we will be releasing. I have received a lot of inquiries for a more standard DE razor, and in response it is a solid bar variation that shaves milder than our OC and provides a bit more of an intuitive shave. Again, the razor is fully machined stainless steel made here in the USA, is denoted model SB for solid bar, and will have serial numbers starting with where the last batch stopped. We should start shipping the SB razors around Labor Day. I have posted a photo of the prototype below. I have been reading all of the feedback on this and other shaving forums and appreciate all of the comments folks have been making. Although I cannot respond to them all, please know we are listening to all that you have been saying.

Thanks to the wonderful support of the wet shaving community the only folks with any of our first production run remaining are Phil at Bullgoose Shaving and John at West Coast Shaving and I am not sure how low their inventories may be. In reviewing pricing with the factory it looks like we ran quite a bit over budget on the first run and there will be a retail price increase on the razors going forward. So, if you want to get in on the current pricing contact John or Phil before they run out of the first batch.

As part of my commitment to try and keep costs as low as possible while still manufacturing the razor here in the USA, I am also going to be dropping the expensive large plastic case in favor of more conventional packaging. One option we are considering is a steel tin with a clear plastic window and a foam insert. A mock-up photo without a Tradere label on the window is below, but the packaging decision is not final. What do you folks think?

We are still working on the slant variation, but the geometry is relatively complex, so it will likely still be a few more months until I have a prototype in hand to share with you. So far, it is mostly CAD drawings I have been looking at. We have not delayed this effort at all, but the introduction of a solid bar was relatively easy and given the large number of inquiries I have received for a razor with a more standard level of aggression and a somewhat easier shave, it seemed like a good idea just to get that done.

At this point I am still investing all of the funds that have come in into Tradere and product development. My plan is before the end of the year to have three razor models available for delivery, the OC, the SB, and the slant.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments at tradererazors@gmail.com or via PM.

Attached Files Image(s)

3 68
 06-29-2012, 09:07 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
As good as the Open Comb Version is, sign me up for the Closed Comb as well Richard. Nice job

116 3,804
 06-29-2012, 09:22 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I like this newer case more, and I have great interest in a solid guard bar model. Exciting news!

35 1,732
 06-29-2012, 09:22 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
The prototype looks very nice and I am sure will be a big hit.

100 12,448
 06-29-2012, 09:33 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Excellent Richard!

Many Blessings to you Angel

9 1,684
 06-29-2012, 10:26 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
New head design...interesting. Love the case..original a bit large but did make a nice blade storage one I removed the foam.Instead of a Slant how about a copy of the GIBBS Plus/Minus...both sides closed bar but each side has a different blade exposure by cutting more gap in one side. The razor then has a + and a - marked on the head.Easier to produce and gives 2 choices for shaving and has the closed bar many people enjoy.Lightbulb

6 1,913
 06-29-2012, 10:36 AM
  • Theido
  • Shave Stick Proponent
  • Colorado
User Info
I really dig the closed comb head, keep up the great work!

1 111
 06-29-2012, 11:52 AM
  • Qhead
  • Cleveland, Ohio
User Info
The solid bar razor looks beautiful. Can't wait!

15 185
 06-29-2012, 11:54 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Now the debate going on in my head is do I buy another Tradere handle for the Closed Comb or share the handle between two razors.

116 3,804
 06-29-2012, 12:29 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Best answere for that specific question is ...YES..YES..and YES !!!Tongue

6 1,913
 06-29-2012, 04:40 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I haven't used a solid bar razor for quite sometime... This could be the one to lure me back!

The new packaging looks fine. But I'd be happing with the flimsy Merkur style box, it's what's inside that's important to me! If the packaging is expensive, then I wholeheartedly agree with changing it.

91 17,875
 06-29-2012, 04:54 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I'll echo Bens thoughts and say while the Plastic Box and the new tin look great, they aren't necessary for me in the least as well.

116 3,804
 06-29-2012, 05:22 PM
User Info
I'm a user baby, so don't give me a fancy box. I'm still sitting in que for a torquer, an open comb torquer even!

31 7,914
 06-29-2012, 07:14 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
I think that if one *wants* the option of a gift-box, then that would be best. I understand it may only be a certain price point that can be cut due to packaging changes, but a simple recycleable box is fine for me.

I'm pinching pennies just to have the opportunity to get to the class of razor as a Tradere!

Perhaps the container that is now used for the OC can be that gift-box option, the tin could be a second option, but a simple recycleable box similar to what Merkur uses would be the standard container.

One thing that I thought would be cool, would be to have a brown non-coated box (all brown like cardboard) that has a STAMP in Red with a border around the words "TRADERE RAZOR INSIDE" and just under it in within the same stamp but a smaller font "Proudly Made in USA"

The stamp should be slightly canted, and pretty much the length of the box.

Biggrin

9 1,684
 06-29-2012, 08:05 PM
User Info
I like the metal box, but you could just put it in a cardboard box to save us some money.

21 1,478
 06-29-2012, 08:30 PM
  • jss
User Info
Impressive development..We're excited....

Julian

0 264
 06-29-2012, 10:39 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Exciting news indeed! Biggrin Congratulations Richard!

45 16,359
 06-30-2012, 06:07 AM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
(06-29-2012, 07:14 PM)gijames Wrote: Perhaps the container that is now used for the OC can be that gift-box option, the tin could be a second option, but a simple recycleable box similar to what Merkur uses would be the standard container.

One thing that I thought would be cool, would be to have a brown non-coated box (all brown like cardboard) that has a STAMP in Red with a border around the words "TRADERE RAZOR INSIDE" and just under it in within the same stamp but a smaller font "Proudly Made in USA
Honestly, i do not know what i will do with the plastic case that I have. Often the boxes just take up space in an already crowded cabinet. I think the options idea is superb. I would be buying for the razor and not the presentation box.

0 253
 06-30-2012, 06:08 AM
User Info
Thanks for the input; keep it coming!Wink

A decent cardboard set-up box and tissue paper and the little tin with foam are within a $1 in price.

3 68
 06-30-2012, 06:19 AM
  • jss
User Info
(06-30-2012, 06:08 AM)natchez Wrote: Thanks for the input; keep it coming!Wink

A decent cardboard set-up box and tissue paper and the little tin with foam are within a $1 in price.

Respectfully, I think I still prefer the cardboard box..If it hasn't been said already, perhaps one or the other might be optional....

0 264