10-01-2015, 06:42 PM
User Info
I had been interested in trying Kai blades for a while, and recently Mel's comments on them convinced me to make the purchase. I do realize blades are very much ymmv but I want to share my experience with them in case someone else might be interested in trying them. 

I have shaved 4 times on the first blade so far, but it definitely has more shaves left. Fwiw, I have never used a blade more than 4 shaves; I use Astra SPs for 4 shaves each and Feather for 3. However, I almost always do a 3 pass shave with Astras, and 2 to 3 with Feathers, but with the Kai I have only been doing 2 passes and a clean up. The first use of the Kai was in my Standard Razors razor which is an aggressive razor. The shave went well but I still had roughness when shaving my neck area, a problem I have had with the Standard using Astras as well. Thus, after the first shave I switched the blade to my Edwin Jagger and have used it 3 times since. My EJ DE 89 paired with the Kai blade is providing a much smoother shave than the Standard did with the Kai or Astra. The Kai blade is so smooth that I don't really feel it cutting but it is taking off the hair as good as the Feather and maybe even better because 2 passes and I achieve a true BBS as long as I take my time on the passes and do a touch up. To me the Kai is definitely more forgiving than the Feather, smoother, and probably about the same sharpness. 

For me the Kai is definitely my new favorite blade. The best thing is it proved that I require a mild razor, or whatever you call a DE89, paired with a Kai or Feather. My face is a little sensitive, more so on my neck, which is preventing me from being able to enjoy an aggressive razor. That is fine with me though, I will enjoy my DE89 in the meantime and maybe try a ATT M1 or Ikon Shavecraft 101 some day.

Updated edit: I said my Standard Razor was still rough on my neck even using the Kai blade, but I want to point out that it was not the blades fault, that razor is just not smooth at all on my neck. The Kai did not cause any nicks or cuts, I just don't like the feel of the Standard Razor on my neck. I am going to try the Kai in my R41 since it is a smoother razor. I tried a Feather before in it and that was a disaster but I am confident the Kai will be much more forgiving. Still, the fact remains that I require a mild or medium razor due to sensitive skin.

13 947
 10-02-2015, 09:20 AM
User Info
Good stuff, I haven't tried Kai blades yet so I may need to give those a try.  I can't use Feather because I only get one decent shave out of a blade, maybe 2 if I really push it.

I also struggle with an easily irritated lower neck, and I actually found better success using slightly more aggressive razors paired with blades like Voskhod or GSB.  The soap goes a long way too, I've noticed a lot of improvement since switching to unscented or light EO scented soaps, and I don't put aftershave or anything on my neck when I'm done.

10 407
 10-02-2015, 09:38 AM
User Info
Plus no glue gunk!  Exclamation
I too have had better results withh a more agressive razor to reduce irritation caused by hair growth almost parallel to my skin in a couple of hard to reach spots on my neck. Not R41 agressive. More like NEW Deluxe and ATT R1.

8 1,129
 10-02-2015, 09:49 AM
User Info
(10-02-2015, 09:38 AM)lloydrm Wrote: Plus no glue gunk!  Exclamation
I too have had better results withh a more agressive razor to reduce irritation caused by hair growth almost parallel to my skin in a couple of hard to reach spots on my neck. Not R41 agressive. More like NEW Deluxe and ATT R1.

Good point, there is no glue gunk on the blades. They are pure quality imo.
For me the R41 is actually smooth on my neck but it bites me sometimes If I'm not real careful, whereas a mild razor doesnt. I need to try the R41 with a Kai. But being able to achieve a close shave with only 2 passes on a more mild razor is fine with me.

13 947
 10-02-2015, 10:03 AM
User Info
(10-02-2015, 09:20 AM)molon_labe Wrote: Good stuff, I haven't tried Kai blades yet so I may need to give those a try.  I can't use Feather because I only get one decent shave out of a blade, maybe 2 if I really push it.

I also struggle with an easily irritated lower neck, and I actually found better success using slightly more aggressive razors paired with blades like Voskhod or GSB.  The soap goes a long way too, I've noticed a lot of improvement since switching to unscented or light EO scented soaps, and I don't put aftershave or anything on my neck when I'm done.

I have the same problem with Feathers not keeping their edge more that 2 or 3 shaves but that is not the case with the Kais. The fourth shave I had 3 days growth and my beard ows fast but the blade cut through it with ease.

13 947
 10-02-2015, 10:07 AM
User Info
(10-02-2015, 10:03 AM)Hobbyist Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 09:20 AM)molon_labe Wrote: Good stuff, I haven't tried Kai blades yet so I may need to give those a try.  I can't use Feather because I only get one decent shave out of a blade, maybe 2 if I really push it.

I have the same problem with Feathers not keeping their edge more that 2 or 3 shaves but that is not the case with the Kais. The fourth shave I had 3 days growth and my beard ows fast but the blade cut through it with ease.

Have you found them for a decent price?  For $40/100 pack on Amazon they better be massaging my face as they cut whiskers lol.

10 407
 10-02-2015, 11:57 AM
User Info
(10-02-2015, 10:07 AM)molon_labe Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 10:03 AM)Hobbyist Wrote:

Have you found them for a decent price?  For $40/100 pack on Amazon they better be massaging my face as they cut whiskers lol.

Amazon is the best I found. I don't know why Kai charges so much but for my sensitive skin they performed well enough to warrant the price. Plus I am getting more shaves per blade. This evening will be my fifth shave on the same blade, and number 4 was every bit as smooth as the first shave. If can get 5 or even 6 shaves then they make up for the price by longevity.

13 947
 10-02-2015, 02:53 PM
User Info
I bought two 5 packs to try. The first shave was glorious. Second good too. Third shave I notice it's not as good. Still have 8 blades to try. One thing I changed recently was adding a shim to my EJ DE89 because I was making to many passes and touch ups to cut hair - still am but less so. I will try the Kai with the slant next.

0 90
 10-02-2015, 05:05 PM
User Info

I also have an easily irritated lower neck, Jeremy. I have used up a box of Kai blades now and I can safely say these are some special blades. I really enjoy them, just as sharp as feather and even smoother than my go-to Gillette 7 o'clock blacks!

26 235
 10-02-2015, 05:10 PM
User Info
I got a sample of these blades after getting some feedback from our friend Phil.  I was not disappointed.  I'm ready to place a nice order, and although the are not cheap, when it comes to my face and comfort price is no subject.

They are very comfortable and feel great, specially using a nice, slick soap.

Great review and I approve this message Smile

61 3,796
 10-02-2015, 05:17 PM
User Info
(10-02-2015, 05:10 PM)hrfdez Wrote: I got a sample of these blades after getting some feedback from our friend Phil.  I was not disappointed.  I'm ready to place a nice order, and although the are not cheap, when it comes to my face and comfort price is no subject.

They are very comfortable and feel great, specially using a nice, slick soap.

Great review and I approve this message Smile

It's nice to hear from others who have had similar experiences with these blades. Although they are expensive I feel the same as you Hector, for my face and the comfort they provide they are worth it.

13 947
 10-04-2015, 12:46 AM
User Info
Today was my fifth shave on the first Kai blade. I am surprised to say it was just as sharp and smooth as the first four shaves and I achieved another BBS. This is crazy, there has been no tugging whatsoever during any of the 5 shaves and every pass it takes away every bit of hair in its path. Today I did a 3 pass shave instead of two but the 3rd pass was not necessary and could have been a touch up. I only did the 3rd pass because I had way too much lather left in my 30mm Whipped Dog synthetic brush that I didn't want to waste. For the next shave if the blade gets noticeably duller whatsoever I will stop and change the blade mid shave; I never use a blade that I can feel is losing its edge. After tomorrow's shave I will toss the blade regardless of its performance because six shaves is enough to make up for the higher price these cost. At this point I can say the Kai blades have outlasted every blade I have used and are without a doubt my favorite blade. Obviously ymmv for everyone else, but for me I am done searching for blades. I also want to mention that I am not the type to try to stretch a blade for as many shaves as I can get, I usually toss a blade after 3 or 4 shaves, and 4 is the most I have ever used one, which is usually how long I use my Astra SPs. My Feathers barely make it 3 shaves though, and I sometimes toss them after 2 shaves. Thus, the Kai really is holding its edge or I would have tossed it already. I said if I get 6 shaves then it makes up for the high price, however I would continue using these even if they were only good for 4 shaves like the Astra, due to how much smoother and forgiving it is compared to my other blades.

13 947
 10-04-2015, 03:18 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(10-01-2015, 06:42 PM)Hobbyist Wrote: I had been interested in trying Kai blades for a while, and recently Mel's comments on them convinced me to make the purchase.

The first use of the Kai was in my Standard Razors razor which is an aggressive razor. The shave went well but I still had roughness when shaving my neck area, a problem I have had with the Standard using Astras as well. Thus, after the first shave I switched the blade to my Edwin Jagger and have used it 3 times since. My EJ DE 89 paired with the Kai blade is providing a much smoother shave than the Standard did with the Kai or Astra.

For me the Kai is definitely my new favorite blade. The best thing is it proved that I require a mild razor, . . .

Updated edit: I said my Standard Razor was still rough on my neck even using the Kai blade, but I want to point out that it was not the blades fault, that razor is just not smooth at all on my neck. The Kai did not cause any nicks or cuts, I just don't like the feel of the Standard Razor on my neck.

Very interesting, as they used to say on Rowan & Martin’s Laugh In.

In my understanding is correct, with your past history using an Edwin Jagger razor, you tried the KAI blades in a still new-to-you Standard Razors razor, and found cause to revert to the EJ89 after trying the KAIs in the Standard Razors razor.  That is, given the choice between sticking with the Standard Razors razor with non-KAI blades, or sticking with the KAI blades but going back to a razor from which you had “upgraded,” you chose the blade over the razor.  

As (I think) you know, you and I came from opposite directions on both the KAI blades and the Standard Razors razor.  After five decades of every day shaving with real soap lather generated with a real brush, I essayed DE shaving for the first time in the spring of 2014 with a Standard Razors razor and some Gillette Silver Blue blades, which I supplemented a month into the experiment with some Wizamet Iridium Super blades: I wanted to minimize the variables in the interests of Science, but I figured that using two kinds of blades could not hurt, as each acted as a control to the other, assuring that I did not attribute to the razor what might be a quirk of a specific kind of blade.  Only after I felt that I had my technique pretty much down pat with th Standard Razors razor and the now-known blades did I venture out into the world of KAI blades . . . and instantly appreciated them as superior to the GSBs and the Super Iridiums.  Later I added a second razor, an iKon Stainless Slant DLC, to my collection (if two can be considered a collection), and in what was than an unfamiliar (to me) razor, also, I prefer the KAI blades to the GSBs and the Super Iridiums. 

If anyone other than the two of us is following this thread, I am sure that they are now getting hopelessly confused.   Biggrin 

(I now have used up all of my GSBs and have only three or four Iridium Supers left on my way to pledging my troth to KAI blades.  I bought two tucks of Rapira Swedish Supersteel blades and some Gillette Platinum blades to make sure of my decision to get down to KAI as my only blade, but I do not expect my paring-down course to change direction now.)

The takeaway, I guess, is that KAI blades win the day no matter whether the user is trying them in a familiar razor or continuing to use them while switching razors; but maybe, just maybe, the switches should not be too close together: avoid jumping to conclusions when both the razor and the blade are new to the user.

1 1,089
 10-04-2015, 08:02 AM
User Info
I guess it make three of us following the thread Smile

I have been using them for almost a week and they are definitely a keeper. The best blade I have used hands down, very smooth.  The only other blades I use are Med Preps, GSB, and Polsilver.  But I think I have found a blade that I can consistently use with outstanding results.

61 3,796
 10-04-2015, 10:23 AM
User Info
(10-04-2015, 03:18 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(10-01-2015, 06:42 PM)Hobbyist Wrote: I had been interested in trying Kai blades for a while, and recently Mel's comments on them convinced me to make the purchase.

The first use of the Kai was in my Standard Razors razor which is an aggressive razor. The shave went well but I still had roughness when shaving my neck area, a problem I have had with the Standard using Astras as well. Thus, after the first shave I switched the blade to my Edwin Jagger and have used it 3 times since. My EJ DE 89 paired with the Kai blade is providing a much smoother shave than the Standard did with the Kai or Astra.

For me the Kai is definitely my new favorite blade. The best thing is it proved that I require a mild razor, . . .

Updated edit: I said my Standard Razor was still rough on my neck even using the Kai blade, but I want to point out that it was not the blades fault, that razor is just not smooth at all on my neck. The Kai did not cause any nicks or cuts, I just don't like the feel of the Standard Razor on my neck.

Very interesting, as they used to say on Rowan & Martin’s Laugh In.

In my understanding is correct, with your past history using an Edwin Jagger razor, you tried the KAI blades in a still new-to-you Standard Razors razor, and found cause to revert to the EJ89 after trying the KAIs in the Standard Razors razor.  That is, given the choice between sticking with the Standard Razors razor with non-KAI blades, or sticking with the KAI blades but going back to a razor from which you had “upgraded,” you chose the blade over the razor.  

As (I think) you know, you and I came from opposite directions on both the KAI blades and the Standard Razors razor.  After five decades of every day shaving with real soap lather generated with a real brush, I essayed DE shaving for the first time in the spring of 2014 with a Standard Razors razor and some Gillette Silver Blue blades, which I supplemented a month into the experiment with some Wizamet Iridium Super blades:  I wanted to minimize the variables in the interests of Science, but I figured that using two kinds of blades could not hurt, as each acted as a control to the other, assuring that I did not attribute to the razor what might be a quirk of a specific kind of blade.  Only after I felt that I had my technique pretty much down pat with th Standard Razors razor and the now-known blades did I venture out into the world of KAI blades . . . and instantly appreciated them as superior to the GSBs and the Super Iridiums.  Later I added a second razor, an iKon Stainless Slant DLC, to my collection (if two can be considered a collection), and in what was than an unfamiliar (to me) razor, also, I prefer the KAI blades to the GSBs and the Super Iridiums. 

If anyone other than the two of us is following this thread, I am sure that they are now getting hopelessly confused.   Biggrin 

(I now have used up all of my GSBs and have only three or four Iridium Supers left on my way to pledging my troth to KAI blades.  I bought two tucks of Rapira Swedish Supersteel blades and some Gillette Platinum blades to make sure of my decision to get down to KAI as my only blade, but I do not expect my paring-down course to change direction now.)

The takeaway, I guess, is that KAI blades win the day no matter whether the user is trying them in a familiar razor or continuing to use them while switching razors; but maybe, just maybe, the switches should not be too close together:  avoid jumping to conclusions when both the razor and the blade are new to the user.

Mel - You are correct, I did indeed switch from the EJ to the Standard and then back to the EJ, and now I am awaiting a Ikon 101 head from Bullgoose Shaving. It comes down to this, I already own a Muhle R41 which is my go to razor for multiple days growth and it is a razor that I consider to be very aggressive yet smooth. I bought the Standard Razors razor thinking it would be much less aggressive than the R41 but reviews were all over the place on it so I couldn't be sure. After shaving with it for a week it feels just as aggressive as the R41 but not nearly as smooth. It is odd though because it doesn't bite me much although it has a few times, the problem is it is very rough on my neck now matter what angle or what blade. I tried Polsilver SI, Astra SP, and Kai blades and there was no difference on my neck area. I decided that the roughness on my neck plus the fact that the razor is extremely light weight (something I don't prefer), I would prefer to use my R41 for multiple days growth as a second razor and sell the Standard Razor to someone who would appreciate it more. Perhaps the ope comb feature of the R41 along with the heavier weight handle I use is why the R41 is smoother, not sure but I don't want to sacrifice the comfort of my shave anymore to find out. My search has been for a razor that would be smooth and forgiving while taking off the hair with minimal passes since my skin is sensitive. It turns out that the EJ DE89 was all along a razor that could provide what I was looking for but I hadn't been using the right blades. Now I know that a Feather and a Kai blade will provide what I need with the EJ DE89, and the Kai lasts longer and is smoother and more forgiving thus making it my favorite blade. I ordered the Ikon because I like the idea of an open comb and closed bar side, plus I hear it is mild. I am still interested in buying a higher end razor that shaves as good or better than my EJ but its more for the aesthetics and pleasure. I have always liked the looks of the Feather AS-D2 so I plan to buy one some day. The fact that it is very mild makes me even more interested. But what I do know now is that I am done buying aggressive razors since I found that the sharper blades get me what I want without irritation. I enjoy my R41 so long as I don't try to use it as an every day razor due to aggressiveness, and compared to the Standard Razors razor I choose the R41. I wanted to like the Standard Razor and use it as my every day razor but that is not going to happen and I am not going to practice with it any longer when I have two other razors that provide a great shave. The Standard had its chance and never improved, although not cutting me up or anything, it just didn't feel good on my neck if that makes any sense.

I Want to add something Mel. You said I chose the blade over the razor, but that is not correct. The razor was rough on my neck area every shave so the Kai was the final blade I wanted to test with it. I didn't want to use the Standard any more after that because when I sell it I think it is best that I only used it 5 or 6 times so it is still like new. Whether my technique could have improved over time with that razor or not is not important enough to me to continue feeling pain when shaving my neck.

13 947
 10-05-2015, 07:59 AM
User Info
Have just started back with blades.  Only have one shave under my belt with the Feather.  Based on this thread I'm going to try the Kai blades.

Amazon sells Feather blades for about 24 bucks for 100.  The Kai blades are 36 bucks for 100.   Do you guys agree that they are worth the price difference over the Feathers other than longevity?

I just bought a gold Toggle from a member of another forum to go with the old brush my Dad used back when I was a kid.   Wanted a nickel one like he had but finding one will not be easy.   The seller kindly included a couple of each of his favorite blades and the Kai is one of them. 

Here is what the seller is giving me:
2 feathers 2 Kai's (white blank envelope) 2 personna reds, 2 bolzano's,, 2 pol silvers super iridium, 2 Gillette 7o'clock blacks, and 2 silver blues

Can you guys give me some opinions on the others?

Thanks

1 64
 10-05-2015, 09:45 AM
User Info
(10-05-2015, 07:59 AM)Sledge Wrote: Can you guys give me some opinions on the others?

Thanks

The Kai blades are worth it to me. They were $40 on amazon before so $36 is a good deal. As for the other blades, I've used the Polsilver SI, they are very smooth but not as sharp as Astra SP for me. Feather are nice too, very sharp but don't last long for me. Gillette Silver Blue are similar to Astra to me and I like both very well. My favorites in order are Kai, Feather, Astra SP, and Gillette Silver Blue (tie with Astra), Polsilver SI.

13 947
 10-05-2015, 09:53 PM
User Info
Seems I'm in the minority here, but anyway ...
Having read in the main glowing reviews of KAIs, I couldn't wait to check them out. Sharp as a Feather, someone wrote. They last and last, said another. Well, not for me and my beard.
As regards sharpness, I find them to be on a par with the Merkur Platinum - the dullest blade I've ever used. And longevity? No way - 6+++ passes and they're as beat as any other blade.
The best result that I got was with the ATT H2 Atlas configuration, but I definitely prefer the Astra SP (and even the PolSilver SI, one of my other less liked blades) with that baseplate.
As always, of course, YMMV. Smile

0 60
 10-05-2015, 10:28 PM
User Info
(10-05-2015, 09:53 PM)Skanderbeg Wrote: Seems I'm in the minority here, but anyway ...
Having read in the main glowing reviews of KAIs, I couldn't wait to check them out. Sharp as a Feather, someone wrote. They last and last, said another. Well, not for me and my beard.
As regards sharpness, I find them to be on a par with the Merkur Platinum - the dullest blade I've ever used. And longevity? No way - 6+++ passes and they're as beat as any other blade.
The best result that I got was with the ATT H2 Atlas configuration, but I definitely prefer the Astra SP (and even the PolSilver SI, one of my other less liked blades) with that baseplate.

I realize everyone is different with blades but to say the Kai blades are as dull as Merkur, one of the worst reviewed blades ever probably, is something hard to believe. Fair enough though, you don't like them, I get it. It was me that wrote they are sharp as Feathers or very close if not, and I'm not the first person to feel that way. I also said they last 6 passes for me and they did, last night was my 6th shave with one and it went very well and then I discarded the blade since that was enough for my test of longevity. I am Italian and thus have a pretty thick and coarse beard with somewhat sensitive skin, so to cut through my beard 6 shaves in a row without any irritation is good for me. 

I made this thread to share my experience in case someone was considering trying them. I didn't bash any other blades I've tried either, quite the opposite actually. Thanks for sharing your experience.

13 947
 10-05-2015, 10:42 PM
User Info
(10-05-2015, 10:28 PM)Hobbyist Wrote:
(10-05-2015, 09:53 PM)Skanderbeg Wrote: Seems I'm in the minority here, but anyway ...

I realize everyone is different with blades but to say the Kai blades are as dull as Merkur, one of the worst reviewed blades ever probably, is something hard to believe. Fair enough though, you don't like them, I get it. It was me that wrote they are sharp as Feathers or very close if not, and I'm not the first person to feel that way. I also said they last 6 passes for me and they did, last night was my 6th shave with one and it went very well and then I discarded the blade since that was enough for my test of longevity. I am Italian and thus have a pretty thick and coarse beard with somewhat sensitive skin, so to cut through my beard 6 shaves in a row without any irritation is good for me. 

I made this thread to share my experience in case someone was considering trying them. I didn't bash any other blades I've tried either, quite the opposite actually. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sorry if my opinion riled you up; that wasn't my intention. And I don't think I'm bashing them - just chucking in my two cents. I don't like them, simple as. PEACE

Edit: And when I wrote that someone called them "sharp as a Feather", I wasn't referring to you at all. This is a description given by a great many users - and one, unfortunately, that I couuldn't confirm in practice.

0 60