10-02-2015, 01:59 PM
User Info
TOBS Cedarwood is now available stateside at Maggards, for about $16. I believe they just put them out for sale today. Haven't seen it anywhere else yet. They had around 45 tubs so they shouldn't run out anytime soon I don't think

79 824
 10-02-2015, 02:40 PM
User Info
I want to know how it compares with CF Cedar and Sandalwood.

3 196
 10-02-2015, 04:48 PM
User Info
(10-02-2015, 02:40 PM)TropicalHotDog Wrote: I want to know how it compares with CF Cedar and Sandalwood.

I really dislike CF Cedar, the TOBS Cedarwood is a nice but boring cologne type scent, but nice

24 5,839
 10-02-2015, 05:05 PM
User Info
Connaught Shaving has it for $12.90. Shipping to USA is $4.85, so $17.75 total shipped.

13 947
 10-02-2015, 05:11 PM
User Info
(10-02-2015, 05:05 PM)Hobbyist Wrote: Connaught Shaving has it for $12.90. Shipping to USA is $4.85, so $17.75 total shipped.

That's not bad, I may have to jump on this ship Smile

61 3,796
 10-02-2015, 05:27 PM
User Info
(10-02-2015, 05:11 PM)hrfdez Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 05:05 PM)Hobbyist Wrote: Connaught Shaving has it for $12.90. Shipping to USA is $4.85, so $17.75 total shipped.

That's not bad, I may have to jump on this ship Smile

Connaught has really good prices on european soaps and creams.

13 947
 10-02-2015, 07:11 PM
User Info
(10-02-2015, 04:48 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 02:40 PM)TropicalHotDog Wrote: I want to know how it compares with CF Cedar and Sandalwood.

I really dislike CF Cedar, the TOBS Cedarwood is a nice but boring cologne type scent, but nice

I don't care for it, either. It smells very harsh, like being in the lumbar aisle of a hardware store. I was hoping the sandalwood component would add warmth, but I did not even pick up on the sandalwood.

3 196
 10-03-2015, 07:14 AM
  • Nero
  • Saving Through Spending More
  • le montagne
User Info
If you don't like cedar, don't buy cedar.
That's what CF smells like.
Real cedar naturally smells a hundred times stronger than real sandalwood. There shouldn't be complaints that the sandalwood doesn't come through. Especially since the cost of sandalwood is about 100x more than cedar.
Talking about EOs here, not other sources.

57 2,541
 10-03-2015, 10:32 AM
User Info
(10-03-2015, 07:14 AM)Nero Wrote: If you don't like cedar, don't buy cedar.
Real cedar naturally smells a hundred times stronger than real sandalwood. There shouldn't be complaints that the sandalwood doesn't come through. Especially since the cost of sandalwood is about 100x more than cedar.

Problem in my view is, when a company like CF names the croap Cedar & Sandalwood, I expect a scent mix of cedar and sandalwood.
If this means they have to pay extra to get the sandalwood, so be it or change the name to Cedar alone.

AOS Sandalwood is the best most natural smelling sandalwood cream I know, and it's cheaper than a pot of CF, so no excuses for not brining the sandalwood scent to the table here IMHO

24 5,839
 10-03-2015, 11:55 AM
User Info

I'm not sure what you are trying to argue. If sandalwood gets buried under cedar, and/or using enough sandalwood to prevent that problem would be cost prohibitive, then why make a cedar AND sandalwood cream? Why not simply omit the sandalwood, since it won't be detectable in the final product?

I've never worked with sandalwood before, but based on my experiences with about 50 species of wood, I find it hard to believe that cedar is 100 times stronger. Cedar is fragrant, but not quite that fragrant.

3 196
 10-03-2015, 12:18 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(10-03-2015, 10:32 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: or change the name to Cedar alone.
Maybe that's the solution. I am not arguing the fact that the sandalwood is muted.

But my point was, since CF are using only EOs, the cedar is going to dominate sandalwood. And if I mixed a dab of cedar EO into some AoS sandalwood cream, I am quite sure the cedar would dominate similarly.
I suppose we could say, why isn't there LESS CEDAR in CF. But then we would complain we don't want to pay premium price for something "scented" but doesn't have much scent.

57 2,541
 10-03-2015, 12:29 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(10-03-2015, 11:55 AM)TropicalHotDog Wrote: [quote='Nero' pid='600922' dateline='1443885273']
I've never worked with sandalwood before, but based on my experiences with about 50 species of wood, I find it hard to believe that cedar is 100 times stronger. Cedar is fragrant, but not quite that fragrant.

Not "100" literally.
If you have used sandalwood EO and cedar EO you would know immediately what I'm talking about. Cedar is sharp/pungent... while sandalwood is very mild for EO scents, despite popular belief. It's not spicy or floral, like we see in a lot of "sandalwood" products.

57 2,541
 10-03-2015, 05:37 PM
User Info
(10-03-2015, 10:32 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:

Problem in my view is, when a company like CF names the croap Cedar & Sandalwood, I expect a scent mix of cedar and sandalwood.
If this means they have to pay extra to get the sandalwood, so be it or change the name to Cedar alone.

AOS Sandalwood is the best most natural smelling sandalwood cream I know, and it's cheaper than a pot of CF, so no excuses for not brining the sandalwood scent to the table here IMHO

I deleted my reply here and reposted below after doing some research on CF and AoS.

13 947
 10-03-2015, 05:51 PM
User Info

Below are the ingredients in Art of Shaving Sandalwood shaving soap taken straight from their website. There is no mention of essential oil in the ingredients, but there is mention of fragrance. Fragrance could mean essential oil but I bet it means fragrance oil in this case. There are plenty of strong sandalwood fragrance oils available for very reasonable prices. If AoS was using true sandalwood then I would think they would mention that considering how expensive it is, and considering how much they charge for their soap it might help justify the high price to some customers. Castle Forbes on the other hand makes it clear that they use essential oil. I posted what they say below the AoS ingredients. Also, some sandalwoods are very weak in smell from some of the reviews I've read on soap supplies websites, namely Mysore sandalwood, which is the true sandalwood. I read that Mysore is weak in scent from an article on sandalwood EOs and the scarcity of true sandalwood. It said the Australian is much more pronounced. As for cedarwood, I have that one and use it in my homemade soaps and it is a strong scent. AoS may be using a very strong sandalwood fragrance oil.

AoS ingredients:
Potassium Palmitate, Sodium Palmitate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Water (Aqua), Palm Kernel Acid, Fragrance, Lecithin, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Coumarin, Hexyl Cinnamal, Titanium Dioxide (CI77981), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Iron Oxides (CI 77499), Iron Oxides (CI77491)

Castle Forbes:
This eagerly awaited Cedar / Sandalwood addition to the Castle Forbes range is the essential way to start your day. The fabulous luxury shaving cream contains high quality essential oils, not synthetic fragrance. Castle Forbes manufactures their own shaving cream to a unique formula in their own private perfumery at the family home, Castle Forbes in Scotland. For all skin types.

13 947
 10-03-2015, 06:19 PM
User Info
(10-03-2015, 05:51 PM)Hobbyist Wrote:

Below are the ingredients in Art of Shaving Sandalwood shaving soap taken straight from their website. There is no mention of essential oil in the ingredients, but there is mention of fragrance. Fragrance could mean essential oil but I bet it means fragrance oil in this case. There are plenty of strong sandalwood fragrance oils available for very reasonable prices. If AoS was using true sandalwood then I would think they would mention that considering how expensive it is, and considering how much they charge for their soap it might help justify the high price to some customers. Castle Forbes on the other hand makes it clear that they use essential oil. I posted what they say below the AoS ingredients. Also, some sandalwoods are very weak in smell from some of the reviews I've read on soap supplies websites, namely Mysore sandalwood, which is the true sandalwood. I read that Mysore is weak in scent from an article on sandalwood EOs and the scarcity of true sandalwood. It said the Australian is much more pronounced. As for cedarwood, I have that one and use it in my homemade soaps and it is a strong scent. AoS may be using a very strong sandalwood fragrance oil.

AoS ingredients:
Potassium Palmitate, Sodium Palmitate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Water (Aqua), Palm Kernel Acid, Fragrance, Lecithin, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Coumarin, Hexyl Cinnamal, Titanium Dioxide (CI77981), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Iron Oxides (CI 77499), Iron Oxides (CI77491)

Castle Forbes:
This eagerly awaited Cedar / Sandalwood addition to the Castle Forbes range is the essential way to start your day. The fabulous luxury shaving cream contains high quality essential oils, not synthetic fragrance. Castle Forbes manufactures their own shaving cream to a unique formula in their own private perfumery at the family home, Castle Forbes in Scotland. For all skin types.

I consider myself a fragrance head, and have been so for 25+ years, since I was an early teenager.

The sandalwood used in the AOS Sandalwood cream is IMHO the most calming soft best scented sandalwood I have ever smelled in a shaving cream/soap

Castle Forbes IMHO made a big mistake by combining a quite sharp woody note, cedar, with a very soft & gentle woody note, sandalwood - hence the end result was almost given - a very pungent in your face cedar, that to my nose smells almost like mushrooms mixed with cedar. A very unbalanced and almost unpleaasant scent to my nose.

My other favourite sandalwood is the DR Harris Sandalwood.

My 3 best smelling sandalwood fragrances are these:

Santal Noble from Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
Tam Dao by Diptyque
Santal33 by Le Labo

Tam Dao is probably the best and softest sandalwood fragrance I have ever smelled, but the 2 others are close.

Castle Forbes fragrances are quite harsh smelling, their CF Lime and CF Lavender is also in your face harsh, but I enjoy them - but Castle Forbes is certainly not an artsane that makes fragrances with high qualty standards, so it's really no surprise they made the Cedar and Sandalwood they way they did.

Just my 2 cents - and FYI CF Lime and CF Lavender are still among my Top 25 soaps/creams in my den.

24 5,839
 10-03-2015, 06:32 PM
User Info
I get "Hamster Cage" from CF Cedar & Sandalwood.

All evidence has been buried. All tapes have been erased.

8 2,718
 10-03-2015, 07:10 PM
User Info
(10-03-2015, 06:19 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(10-03-2015, 05:51 PM)Hobbyist Wrote:
(10-03-2015, 10:32 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Problem in my view is, when a company like CF names the croap Cedar & Sandalwood, I expect a scent mix of cedar and sandalwood.

AoS ingredients:

Castle Forbes:

Tam Dao is probably the best and softest sandalwood fragrance I have ever smelled, but the 2 others are close.

Castle Forbes fragrances are quite harsh smelling, their CF Lime and CF Lavender is also in your face harsh, but I enjoy them - but Castle Forbes is certainly not an artsane that makes fragrances with high qualty standards, so it's really no surprise they made the Cedar and Sandalwood they way they did.

Just my 2 cents - and FYI CF Lime and CF Lavender are still among my Top 25 soaps/creams in my den.

I have only tried one CF product, lavender shaving cream, which to my nose is one of the nicest smelling lavenders. I have a AoS travel kit in lavender and it smells nice too but to me the CF is better. As for performance, I find the CF to be the best shaving cream I have tried. I would like to try AoS sandalwood due to all the great things I hear about it. I just can't see spending that much for it since the sample cream I have is not overly impressive, not bad by any means but not close to CF and CF is cheaper.

13 947
 10-04-2015, 06:58 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(10-03-2015, 06:32 PM)Bruce Wrote: I get "Hamster Cage" from CF Cedar & Sandalwood.

Haha, which is cedarwood shavings.
....Which is why I started with, if you don't like (real) cedar, don't buy (real) cedar.
It's not for everyone Smile

57 2,541
 10-04-2015, 09:56 AM
User Info
Ordered...being a cigar smoker I love cedar

24 470