10-03-2015, 01:21 PM
User Info
Well...like it says... Today I shaved with a Razorock Barber Pole razor. I bought it just because I liked the handle and thought at worst I could use it as a travel razor or gift it to one of my boys.... Well I have to tell you it shaves REALLY nice! The razor came with 2 slightly different heads as well (Italian Barber). I emailed them to ask why as it wasn't advertised as comming with two heads and I was responded to quickly and was told they threw in the V1 and V2 gratis. One head seemed to consistantly hold the blade slightly crooked so I installed the other head. Not sure which one is V1 mor V2 but the one I'm using is great! My other razor is a Merkur 34c and I get good results with it. The Razorock has a slightly longer handle and a noticable heft to the solid stainless handle. The RazoRock logo is very nicely laser etched on the polished head, a nice touch. I used an Astra sp blade and Razorock Mudder Focker soap. Don't be scared by the price.....this is an inexpensive razor but definatly NOT cheap.
Anyone else find an inexpensive razor that just plain performs? 

[Image: LknP9f1.jpg]

0 78
 10-03-2015, 04:00 PM
User Info
I like the knurling on the handle and for $20 that is a great buy. I guess two of my razors would be considered fairly cheap. My Muhle R41 head cost $15 and the Maggard handle I use for it was $16. My daily shaver is an EJ DE89 head on a $20 Maggard handle, but the EJ head with handle was only $32 on Amazon. My newest razor is a Standard Razors razor which cost $69. Of those razors the EJ is my favorite followed by the R41, so my cheaper razors are still my favorites. Next for me may be the Ikon 101 head or a Feather AS-D2 since I like a mild razor. I want to see if an expensive head really makes a difference but I have a hard time believing it would. If anything, the big companies like EJ, Merkur, and Muhle should be able to design better heads because they have engineering departments and can afford to spend money on R&D. There should be no difference in the cost to produce a head with different dimensions other than the cost of the metal itself. If I'm wrong then someone please explain. So when I see a head that costs $145 like the ATT, I wonder why it would shave any better than a $15 head by Muhle or EJ with similar dimensions. Don't get me wrong though, I do intend to buy one of the expensive razors, especially since my Standard razor is not quite as smooth as I hoped, but I am not convinced you have to spend a lot of money to get the highest quality head. The same goes for handles, you can get a beautiful stainless steel handle for $15 to $30 that is quality made. Of course I would love to get a Wolfman or Triad handle, but the shave will be no different imo assuming the length, diameter, and weight of the handle are equal. I am just talking handles, the heads from Wolfman appear to very nice and since they are custom designed and made I think they are worth every penny.

13 947
 10-03-2015, 05:56 PM
User Info
handle is sweet is the handle plated or stainless?

16 660
 10-03-2015, 06:16 PM
User Info
The only DE I ever use is the Feather Popular. Every other DE shaves like garbage to me... Rough tuggy and uncomfortable. For the vintage route, many SEs and injectors cost less than $20. They haven't quite become a fad like DEs.

18 713
 10-03-2015, 06:25 PM
User Info
(10-03-2015, 06:16 PM)fram773 Wrote: The only DE I ever use is the Feather Popular. Every other DE shaves like garbage to me... Rough tuggy and uncomfortable. For the vintage route, many SEs and injectors cost less than $20. They haven't quite become a fad like DEs.

Agree, SE'S are the best kept secret in wetshaving.

3 1,356
 10-03-2015, 06:32 PM
User Info
(10-03-2015, 06:25 PM)Otis375 Wrote:
(10-03-2015, 06:16 PM)fram773 Wrote: The only DE I ever use is the Feather Popular. Every other DE shaves like garbage to me... Rough tuggy and uncomfortable. For the vintage route, many SEs and injectors cost less than $20. They haven't quite become a fad like DEs.

Agree, SE'S are the best kept secret in wetshaving.

I agree.  I picked up two nice ones.  A minty Hydromagic and even better Pal in stainless.  They are both great razors.

61 3,796
 10-03-2015, 06:34 PM
User Info
I've tried my Gem a few times and hate it. It tugs, pulls and just doesn't do well with my technique.

Are the other SE and Injectors similar or do they deliver a different shave from the likes of Gem SE razors?

All evidence has been buried. All tapes have been erased.

8 2,718
 10-03-2015, 06:38 PM
User Info
I have been tempted to pick up a Gem, but I have read some of the same things you stated.

I find the Schick and the Pal very comfortable.

61 3,796
 10-03-2015, 06:59 PM
User Info
(10-03-2015, 05:56 PM)mastershake Wrote: handle is sweet is the handle plated or stainless?

Stainless.

0 78
 10-03-2015, 07:35 PM
User Info
(10-03-2015, 06:34 PM)Bruce Wrote: I've tried my Gem a few times and hate it.  It tugs, pulls and just doesn't do well with my technique.

Are the other SE and Injectors similar or do they deliver a different shave from the likes of Gem SE razors?

All evidence has been buried.  All tapes have been erased.

You are using it flat against the face? the much smaller angle than a DE while using it flat ensures a clean cut. A few GEMs tugged for me-- The Bullet Tip, ER 1914, and the Damaskeene. Every other one has been quite smooth, though some more than others. I have had the best of luck with the stainless steel PTFE blades. The carbons are tuggy and rough for me... I don't use the GEMS anymore though, I have moved on to injectors. The blades are sharper than any of the standard SE blades, and the razors are even better. Smoother and almost as easy to use as a cartridge.

18 713
 10-04-2015, 01:28 AM
User Info
(10-03-2015, 01:21 PM)Paul6506 Wrote: Anyone else find an inexpensive razor that just plain performs? 

All my Cadet's, my Wilkinson Sword Classic, my Lord Racer, my YUMA...

Personally I can get so good shaves and so much enjoyment out of inexpensive razors that I cannot justify buying expensive ones. YMMV, as always Biggrin

3 4,484
 10-04-2015, 07:10 AM
User Info

The Feather popular is nice m, very mild and very forgiving so it is hard to do damage with it. I thought that the Fatip, a rather aggressive razor, was too aggressive for me, but once I figured the right angle, it quickly became one of my favorites. So proper technique is key. 

(10-03-2015, 06:38 PM)hrfdez Wrote: I have been tempted to pick up a Gem, but I have read some of the same things you stated.

I find the Schick and the Pal very comfortable.

The Schick razors are nice. There is nothing wrong with the Gem razors, on the contrary - I for one prefer the 1912 razors to Schick razors. With maybe one exception: a hydromagic with a shortened Feather Artist Club blade (i have a thread about it in the SE sub-forum) but it is a bit of work.

6 827
 10-04-2015, 10:16 AM
User Info
Whoever said keep the cap on a SE close to your face ,yes do that. Also for me and this is me just being honest I can make a feather blade pull and tug on the first shave. It's all about angle and technique.

As far as inexpensive razors, I'm gonna haft to say the gillette super speed. I have 3 of them a no date code,a flair tip ,and one with a black handle. None are mint ,but all are nice and they all shave. The most expensive is the no date code I paid 23 bucks for.

I have a HTGAM symmetry aka a cadet with a different handle. It's a nice shaver although it's a little rough on my face. Maybe I just didn't find the right blade for the razor.

My de89 was what I'd call inexpensive especially for the quality of the razor. I've had it forever and I believe I paid around 30 bucks for it. Plating is flawless everywhere.

I have a fatip grade also. For the money mine doesn't have any flaws as far as appearence goes. However mone does have blade alignment issues.

Oh,I almost forgot my gillette tech,I paid a whopping 6 dollars for it and it's near mint. NIS travel techs can be found you just need a bigger handle IMO.

3 1,356
 10-04-2015, 11:32 AM
User Info
The tech is very underrated.

18 713
 10-04-2015, 11:39 AM
User Info
(10-04-2015, 11:32 AM)fram773 Wrote: The tech is very underrated.

Agree, I mainly use mine after a bad shave. It's the only rwzor I can shave the day after a bad shave and actually be ok. Plus the fact you can get a brand new one basically .

3 1,356
 10-05-2015, 01:13 AM
User Info
(10-03-2015, 01:21 PM)Paul6506 Wrote: Anyone else find an inexpensive razor that just plain performs? 

A while back, I picked up a Yuma for $1.99. Use the cheap, hollow handle with my Gillette old type head.

0 76
 10-05-2015, 03:22 AM
User Info
I once bought a yuma and it broke to pieces as i tried to put it together and that was the luxury model that came in a box,  made of Mahagony with mother of pearl inlay for the Yuma brandname, although misspelled.

As for cheap (that works), Lord L6 is a pretty decent Merkur style (knock off) shaver.

6 827
 10-05-2015, 01:17 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Best shave at the most reasonable price I ever got was from the NEW Parker OC,s...under $30.00 and will out shave most other razors I have which cost 8 to 10 times more.....I think the nubers are 24C and 26C

6 2,023
 10-05-2015, 02:17 PM
User Info
(10-05-2015, 01:17 PM)Harvey Wrote: Best shave at the most reasonable price I ever got was from the NEW Parker OC,s...under $30.00 and will out shave most other razors I have which cost 8 to 10 times more.....I think the nubers are 24C and 26C

Parkers don't seem to get alot of love here or on other forums.....Not sure if the low price equates to an inferior product or what. They seem like nice razors.

0 78
 10-05-2015, 02:27 PM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
....i get a great shave with my Lord L6.............. much better shaves than I get from most of my more expensive razors...

45 1,066