10-03-2015, 07:03 PM
User Info
Back into DE shaving after a long hiatus.  Love it will never go back.

My Dad used a toggle when I was a rugrat.  I have looked at toggles and also at the highly rated Wolfman.   Leaning toward the toggle for sentimental reasons but want to make sure the shave quality will be good enough.  Sentimental is good as long as I can get a great shave with it.   I only want one razor.  Yeah I know that is crazy talk.

With a current blade at fixed angle/gap; does an older style such as FB, slim, or toggle give just as good a shave as the newer razors of today such as the Wolfman?   If not what is the difference?  (Discounting balance, weight, handle material/style/length)

Thx all.

1 64
 10-03-2015, 07:37 PM
User Info
The First thing to consider is that you'll probably pay in excess of $500 for a Toggle if it is in good condition.
Secondly, any razor, in general, should be able to provide you with a good shave if your technique is good.
However, you won't really know how any razor will shave until you try it, so saying you only want one razor is admirable, however, I doubt you will be satisfied with just trying one until you find what works best for you. Shy

For me, I could not get on with any of the vintage Gillette TTOs and my best shaves are from my current razors, Weber DLC and Wolfman. Nonetheless, you should be able to get just as good of a shave with the vintage Gillettes as you can get with the modern ones.

Best of luck with your journey!

82 21,056
 10-03-2015, 07:41 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Buy a Merkur Progress...gives you the most flexibility at a reasonable price...can play with the different settings from mild to more aggressive and many people could stop at this point and not end up with RAD...(razor acquisition disorder)....what ever you get TRY and stay with it for a few weeks before you end up like the rest of us.....(and we,d rather not talk about it just yet)...that would be my suggestion.

6 1,994
 10-04-2015, 02:14 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
The DEs that I like tend to be aggressive ones in order to get a close but "long" lasting shave. One of  those DEs is a Gillette Fat Boy set to 9 with a Feather blade. Recently got a Gillette Toggle in good condition for a song. Used it set to 9 with a Feather blade and got the shave I was after. So from where I sit the Fat Boy and Toggle provide a very similar shave. You could save yourself a pile of dough by going with a Gillette Fat Boy unless you are prepared to pay for nostalgia. 

I always thought the advantage of using an adjustable DE like the Fat Boy was that you could tune your settings to match your level of shaving skill. If you are a novice you could start at a #3 setting and go up the scale as your skill level improves. It might make it possible to buy one DE and grow into it never needing another. 

I have a Wolfman OC head coming, possible this month, so can't say how it shaves. I will be comparing the shaves I get from it with an inexpensive Fatip OC which does give me that shaves I want. Being a realist I will be happy if it matches the Fatip's performance but with more smoothness. Paying big coin for a DE does not always get you a better shave. It should get you a better made product at least.

Bob

0 1,694
 10-04-2015, 11:46 AM
User Info
Great info and experience guys.  Happy to hear from Bob that the Toggle can give a good shave and that the adjustability helps since I just bought one from a member here.  I'm going to try it and see how it goes.  Promised him I would sell it back at the same price (which was very reasonable) if I wind up moving on.

But.  After researching the Wolfman I have pretty much decided I have to have one.  Not because I want more than one razor or want to collect but because you rarely have the opportunity to buy anything that is handmade by a single artisan.  Those things are frickin' beautiful and look to be very effective.

Looks like I am going to wind up with new and old.  Now I just have to read up on why I would want an open comb, closed comb, open and closed, or bar.  Short version?

ps. hey Harvey RAD sounds like with the Lay's chips:  Can't eat just one?

1 64
 10-05-2015, 08:10 AM
User Info
Sledge...think you will like the Toggle. If you are like most the sweet spot is going to be 4 to 7 depending on technique. (right angle, progressive beard reduction etc.) If my father or Grandfather shaved with it that's what I would want. The Wolfman is a great idea for the reasons you give. Maybe dual head so that you have both. Would suggest a cheap way to try open comb is any of the Gillette News or maybe even better buying the new Parker open comb 26C and a nickel Fatip. Each under $30 on Amazon. The top caps are interchangeable and the Parker cap on the Fatip baseplate gives an unbelievably nice shave. The Muhle or Jagger R89 cap works even better which is Available from http://www.connaughtshaving.com/musrh.html and you could have a safety bar alternative as well and limit the RAD to 4 great razors. Connaught delivers quickly and you pay the non VAT price. Could get the Fatip and Parker from Connaught as well.

51 315
 10-05-2015, 09:53 AM
User Info
(10-03-2015, 07:41 PM)Harvey Wrote: Buy a Merkur Progress...gives you the most flexibility at a reasonable price...can play with the different settings from mild to more aggressive and many people could stop at this point and not end up with RAD...(razor acquisition disorder)....what ever you get TRY and stay with it for a few weeks before you end up like the rest of us.....(and we,d rather not talk about it just yet)...that would be my suggestion.

+1 The progress is around 70 dollars and outshaves any vintage gillette

3 1,356
 10-05-2015, 10:14 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(10-05-2015, 08:10 AM)zeppelinkarte Wrote: Sledge...think you will like the Toggle. If you are like most the sweet spot is going to be 4 to 7 depending on technique. (right angle, progressive beard reduction etc.) If my father or Grandfather shaved with it that's what I would want. The Wolfman is a great idea for the reasons you give. Maybe dual head so that you have both. Would suggest a cheap way to try open comb is any of the Gillette News or maybe even better buying the new Parker open comb 26C and a nickel Fatip. Each under $30 on Amazon. The top caps are interchangeable and the Parker cap on the Fatip baseplate gives an unbelievably nice shave. The Muhle or Jagger R89 cap works even better which is Available from http://www.connaughtshaving.com/musrh.html and you could have a safety bar alternative as well and limit the RAD to 4 great razors. Connaught delivers quickly and you pay the non VAT price. Could get the Fatip and Parker from Connaught as well.

Wait a minute!!   You're saying an EJ cap on a Fatip is good combo?  We'll it looks like I've got something new to try.  Thanks!

57 1,562
 10-07-2015, 10:30 AM
User Info
Depends on the vintage razor.

Weight: most modern razors, especially the stainless steel models, are going to weigh more than vintage Gillettes.  They require a lighter touch, otherwise you cause irritation.

Shave Angle: Super Speeds and Slims have a pretty shallow angle while the Tech and older open combs are a bit more curved.  Shallower angles require a steeper shave angle to cut rather than scrape.  Blade curvature is all over the map for modern razors but most I have found are a bit more curved.

Aggressiveness: totally depends on the razor.

The old Gillette razors are cheap enough to try out.  I like mild razors so I have a black handle flair tip SS and a pre war fat handle Tech, both run about $15-20 on eBay.  I don't use them quite as much as my favorite razor (the Weber PH) and I haven't tried ATT or Wolfman (yet...on the list).

If you do settle on a vintage razor, I would try and find one that is either mint condition or has been inspected by a good seller or restorer.  My first vintage razor was a Slim Adjustable that had been dropped on the ground and knocked the safety bars askew.  Gave horrible shaves and I didn't know why until I did the research.

5 229
 10-07-2015, 12:35 PM
User Info
Hey Zeppelin thanks for the tip on setting!   I just received the Toggle today.   Opened the doors, dialed it to 3 (being cautious), loaded a 7 o'clock black provided by the seller, and lathered up.  Here goes.  I'm praying: "Please be a good shave."  And...  Absolutely Frickin' A-Mazing!   I must have hit the sweet spot for my beard.   I had no idea how much more comfortable and effective the Toggle would be than my starter Shaveology Phantom.   I guess the setting would be 8 or so on the toggle to get the same aggressive feel (a bit rough) of the Phantom.

btw jarick the Toggle I received is in nearly mint condition.  The seller (a senior member here) graciously included a mix of sample blades and shaving soap.  The razor will be used daily and treated very carefully.  The box, manual, original blades are safely stashed away.  

While I have you guys' attention.  The brush I discovered in my Dad's medicine cabinet after he passed away is pictured below with a new badger knot installed.  It is brass and very plain but he used it when he first shaved and when he was stationed in Korea where he flew the Starfire on night recon.  There are no markings and there wasn't anything under the old knot, which was worn down to a flat nub.  You guys have any ideas where it came from?  Maybe a military set?

I felt a connection to him while using his brush this morning.   I would like to get a nice period stand for both though and while I'm at it an appropriate period shaving cup. Right now I'm using an old coffee cup.  Suggestions on shaving cup and stand to go with my new/old setup?

Maybe one day I will find a nickel Toggle like he had but for now I am one happy camper.

Regards,
Sledge

[Image: ?ui=2&ik=b41da16a8a&view=fimg&th=1504374...w1838-h903]

1 64
 10-07-2015, 01:39 PM
User Info
I told you ,those gillette blacks are great!

3 1,356
 10-07-2015, 05:03 PM
User Info
(10-07-2015, 01:39 PM)Otis375 Wrote: I told you ,those gillette blacks are great!
Yeah after the first stroke I had to make sure I put a blade in there, no kidding.  Blade plus Toggle was smoooooth.

1 64
 10-07-2015, 05:15 PM
User Info
(10-07-2015, 05:03 PM)Sledge Wrote:
(10-07-2015, 01:39 PM)Otis375 Wrote: I told you ,those gillette blacks are great!
Yeah after the first stroke I had to make sure I put a blade in there, no kidding.  Blade plus Toggle was smoooooth.

You'll love the polsilvers then.. Glad you found something that works,and a blade that works without too much effort.

3 1,356