10-04-2015, 08:58 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Usually Sunday is rose soap day, but I decided to give the La Cigale soap a whirl since it arrived yesterday afternoon.

Bottom line, it’s a winner and especially so at the price. I’d have to give it a nod in the best inexpensive soap category. It's a lighter, fresher product compared to soaps like MWF or heavier tallow/lanolin soaps. Thanks to Phil for bringing this one in.

Ingredients: No colorants or preservatives. Aqua, potassium stearate, sodium stearate, potassium cocoate, sodium cocoate, glycerin, parfum, aloe barbadensis gel bio, sodium chloride, limolene, linalool, sodium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide.

Packaging: Excellent as with most French products. A nice plastic container and appears to be a waterproof label. The tub is 8 cm - 3-1/4" across, so lathering won’t be a problem with any but maybe the largest brushes. Oddly, the weight or volume is not marked on the label, but my tub sans lid after one shave weighed in at about 165 grams, which would be about right for the advertised 125 grams of product.

Product appearance/characteristics: Phil described the product as soft, cream-like, but mine is not, it’s very firm. It would “rattle” in the tub when it arrived, and that puts it out of the cream category for me. I like harder products, as the softer a soap is, the more water you’re paying for. The soap is very white and has almost no fragrance. I can detect what seems to be a very faint eucalyptus fragrance. Anyway, it’s very light and fresh what there is of it. This is great for me as I am usually not a fan of strongly scented soaps for everyday use.

Lathering: I bloomed it slightly while showering and used a medium Simpsons Keyhole 2 to load soap directly off the puck. I started with a wet brush and a 20 second load which gave me enough lather for two passes. I needed a couple more swirls for the third pass but I usually load for 25-30 seconds, so the loading is spot on with other soaps. The lather was slick and creamy but not as thick as say SdM. It’s a good balance in lather characteristics especially for straights.

Post shave: The post shave feel is there and noticeable, what I’d describe as lightly conditioned, likely from the glycerin and aloe. I’m perfectly happy with dry clean skin from a cocoanut oil soap like MdC and using a great AS/ASB, but the post shave feeling is very important to some folks and tastes vary a lot. La Cigale isn’t the heavier “I don’t need AS” feel that you get from MWF or SdM, but in agreement with a lighter product which this is. I paired it with my usual Myrsol El Agua Balsamica and that worked really well.

Excellent soap!

Cheers, Steve

7 528
 10-04-2015, 12:48 PM
User Info
The post shave properties are exactly as you write,very well put. I enjoyed reading your review.
Looking forward to using it again soon, thank you for sharing

Philipp

21 1,175
 10-04-2015, 01:18 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I kept forgetting to bring a tub home but finally did yesterday and used it today. I concur with your review; I had a very enjoyable shave.

46 18,380