10-04-2015, 03:29 PM
User Info
Can someone tell me the difference between the three. Especially as far as softness of tips and backbone. Thanks so much

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

19 585
 10-04-2015, 05:49 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Best and super are similar, tips are softer on the super and much prefer those to best. No experience with the two band.

Backbone on Chubbys are great

7 450
 10-04-2015, 07:53 PM
User Info
Best = nowadays, as soft as the Super, but nowhere as dense

Super = very soft and extremely dense; probably the densest of the lot; finer shafts of hair than the Manchurian

Manchurian = soft tips with great backbone providing a wonderful scrub; thicker shafts of hair which contributes to the excellent backbone

2-Band = extremely soft tips, probably, the softest of the lot; not as dense as the Super and Manchurian; backbone is good, but nowhere near the Manchurian; shafts of hair are finer than in the Manchurian; I haven't use this one in over 3 years, so I am going on memory

83 21,077
 10-04-2015, 08:20 PM
User Info
Thanks for the responses

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

19 585
 10-05-2015, 04:12 AM
User Info
(10-04-2015, 07:53 PM)celestino Wrote: Best = nowadays, as soft as the Super, but nowhere as dense

Super = very soft and extremely dense; probably the densest of the lot; finer shafts of hair than the Manchurian

Manchurian = soft tips with great backbone providing a wonderful scrub; thicker shafts of hair which contributes to the excellent backbone

2-Band = extremely soft tips, probably, the softest of the lot; not as dense as the Super and Manchurian; backbone is good, but nowhere near the Manchurian; shafts of hair are finer than in the Manchurian; I haven't use this one in over 3 years, so I am going on memory

I haven't got the two band, but I agree completely.   As far as being the best for the money, the Best wins the prize hands down:  a superb brush at a good price.   As for a favorite, I actually lean toward the Super.

Stanley

2 155
 10-05-2015, 05:29 AM
User Info
(10-04-2015, 07:53 PM)celestino Wrote: Best = nowadays, as soft as the Super, but nowhere as dense

Great explanation Celestino.  I agree on all counts.

74 2,274
 10-05-2015, 10:29 AM
User Info
Can't speak for Manchurian, just super. I've owned four separate Simpsons in best and felt they were all very good. Nice backbone and good softness. I just bought a Simpson Chubby 2 in Super. I wasn't expecting much of a difference from Best grade, but I was really surprised at the difference. So much so, that I don't see myself ever buying a best grade again.

20 102
 10-05-2015, 09:00 PM
User Info
Celestino, as usual, is DEAD ON CORRECT in his explanation and guide.
I own all 4 types of Chubby 2 badgers.

Here is a surprise for you.
The Chubby 2 Best is my favourite of them all.
But only by a hair.

I love them all.

I think my Best is really more a mix of Best and Super. It is a limited edition, not sold in stores only from Mark directly.

It has superior backbone, flow through and face feel to my Super.
Can you tell me which one of these is Best ?

[Image: 715be1aca3c14b192482ad4273891c0e.jpg]

[Image: 07fb7f6624c99a783102a60f541478c8.jpg]

24 5,969
 10-05-2015, 09:23 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I have owned all four hair grades of CH2, and I agree with Celestino.

43 1,699
 10-06-2015, 12:42 AM
User Info
Here you see my 4 different Ch2's

[Image: uwdXt4O.jpg]

24 5,969
 10-06-2015, 06:38 AM
User Info
Claus, looks like the best gets a little more use.  bloom is slightly bigger.

73 1,296
 10-06-2015, 06:48 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Nice line up of CH2s, Claus. That Best sure looks more like a Super - whiter tips, more fan shaped, extremely dense. I can see why it's your favorite.

Andrew

43 1,699
 10-06-2015, 08:19 AM
User Info
Claus, beautiful collection of Chubbys! That Best knot looks magnificent! Thumbsup

83 21,077
 10-14-2015, 04:22 PM
User Info
(10-06-2015, 06:38 AM)daveinsweethome Wrote: Claus, looks like the best gets a little more use.  bloom is slightly bigger.

You're right and wrong.

I have owned 12 other Chubby 2's in all 4 different hair types from Simpson. Used them and sold them. The 3 to the left were bought as backups. Now I aim for uniqueness in my den.

Thus they were sold. The 3 brushes to the left have yet to be used Badger

24 5,969
 10-14-2015, 05:57 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
After a pm exchange with a member today, a part of which was regarding the Simpson's hair grades, I am starting to wonder if it isn't a bit of legerdemain, that the average guy might not appreciate unless they were a brush ho .. 

I've got several (13) Simpsons ranging from old (Gary Simpson identified that one as named after his family members "CT") to in the mail.  The distinction between Best and Super eludes me completely, based only upon my examples.  Actually, newer Best performs better for me, it flows better and releases more lather.  And I don't get "scritch".  Maybe the "grades" are marketing gimmickry?   The Manchurian is ok, but again in my house just a reboot of the two banded hair us old guys danced around 5 years back.   
Given the natural source I'm not sure that exactness is possible in the matter of the hair of a dead Mustelidae, at least one that you didn't kill yourself.  This year, this season.  

44 473
 10-15-2015, 01:00 AM
User Info
(10-14-2015, 05:57 PM)garyg Wrote: After a pm exchange with a member today, a part of which was regarding the Simpson's hair grades, I am starting to wonder if it isn't a bit of legerdemain, that the average guy might not appreciate unless they were a brush ho .. 

I've got several (13) Simpsons ranging from old (Gary Simpson identified that one as named after his family members "CT") to in the mail.  The distinction between Best and Super eludes me completely, based only upon my examples.  Actually, newer Best performs better for me, it flows better and releases more lather.  And I don't get "scritch".  Maybe the "grades" are marketing gimmickry?   The Manchurian is ok, but again in my house just a reboot of the two banded hair us old guys danced around 5 years back.   
Given the natural source I'm not sure that exactness is possible in the matter of the hair of a dead Mustelidae, at least one that you didn't kill yourself.  This year, this season.  

I agree with some of the points here.
We often forget we're dealing with natural hair. We expect a badger brush with the same hair type to behave and feel the same.

It's just not possible nor prudent to expect exactness, when dealing with badger hair.

24 5,969
 10-15-2015, 02:58 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I think the grading of Simpsons hair is more determined by the supplier. Simpsons may order a batch of their "Best" grade hair, for instance, and what arrives may be more akin to Super, or it may favor Pure. But it receives the "Best" label all the same. I have had Simpsons brushes with Best hair that ranged from the Pure end of the spectrum (just barely) to Super-like. The more expensive grades (2-band Super, Manchurian, and 3-band Super) have been much more consistent, in my experience. I figured that the Best grade of hair was less expensive and available in greater quantity, so it might show more variability from batch to batch.

43 1,699
 10-17-2015, 07:04 PM
User Info
Nice advice here. I have the CH2 in Best and Synthetic and the TSN LE Manchurian. I'm hardly holding on pulling the trigger on the CH2 Manchurian.

8 98
 10-19-2015, 05:56 PM
User Info
Thanks for the info. I am trying to save up for a chubby 2

0 10