03-06-2012, 05:34 PM
  • Manticore
  • Old And In The Way
  • Manchester, New Hampshire
User Info
My son-in-law had been complaining about the cost of shaving supplies. I also noticed he often had that 2 to 3 day stubble typical of one who finds shaving with today's multiblade cartridges and canned goo a complete drag. He had seen my shave cabinet on the bathroom wall and was curious about all those shaving brushes, razors, creams and post shave products enshrined in that cabinet, so I put together a starter kit of the following:
1967 SuperSpeed
Mint Ball End Tech
Semogue 830
Tube of Proraso Cream
Tub of Proraso White Soap
3 Packs of Supermax Stainless Blades
3 Packs of Astra SP's
I also gave him my copy of the Leisureguy's Guide and told him under no circumstances was he to try using either of the razors without first reading the book!

3 weeks later he was hooked! He was enjoying his new morning routine. I asked which razor and blade he decided to start with and found he was using the Tech loaded with a Supermax blade. I asked him what he thought of the blades and he told me they were better than the cartridges he had been using. He thought they were just fine. He also told me he loves the Ball End Tech.

I had stumbled upon a great deal of 400 Supermax Stainless blades for all of $14 and figured I would give them a try. Well you know how these things can go. I did not like the Supermax blades at all, they just felt rough and gave me an uncomfortable shave.

Once I found out my son-in-law liked the supermax blades, I surprised him on his next visit by giving him the remaining 385 blades sitting in my dresser drawer. His face lit up like I had just given him a chest full of pirate's treasure.

My daughter and son-in-law are coming over this weekend for a visit and I've put together a blade sampler of about 15 different brands of blades. I'm curious to see what he thinks of the Astra SP blades. Astra SP's are my favorite blade.

I'm willing to bet that he'll be stubble free this weekend! Wink

0 136
 03-06-2012, 10:34 PM
User Info
Don't be so modest. You had a hand (albeit unknowing) in my conversion. I studied your videos like a college student on finals week before I started.

Credit to tydefan and hudson as well.

2 43
 03-07-2012, 12:01 AM
  • Colcurinho
  • From the land of Semogue, Musgo Real, ..
User Info
That´s great. And you are a good father. Now, your daughter can feel a decent face. Plus, also have more money on their pockets. Cool

0 106
 03-07-2012, 09:43 AM
  • Manticore
  • Old And In The Way
User Info
(03-06-2012, 10:34 PM)EagleDuck Wrote: Don't be so modest. You had a hand (albeit unknowing) in my conversion. I studied your videos like a college student on finals week before I started.

I have a feeling you are confusing me with mantic59. Mantic59 has some great videos out there that many of us watched when we made the change over to wetshaving.

I can't take credit where it's not due!

Now if my memory is serving me well, I believe our own Teiste has quite a few videos you can access right here at the Nook. I watch every video I can regarding making lather. I still have a bit of trouble with my lather from time to time. This Old Dog is still learnin!

0 136
 03-07-2012, 12:56 PM
User Info
(03-07-2012, 09:43 AM)Manticore Wrote:
(03-06-2012, 10:34 PM)EagleDuck Wrote: Don't be so modest. You had a hand (albeit unknowing) in my conversion. I studied your videos like a college student on finals week before I started.

I have a feeling you are confusing me with mantic59. Mantic59 has some great videos out there that many of us watched when we made the change over to wetshaving.

I can't take credit where it's not due!

Now if my memory is serving me well, I believe our own Teiste has quite a few videos you can access right here at the Nook. I watch every video I can regarding making lather. I still have a bit of trouble with my lather from time to time. This Old Dog is still learnin!

Oops. Guilty.

I have seen several of the Teiste videos too. I'm loving the info on this site for sure!

2 43
 03-07-2012, 02:15 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Chris, that is an incredible starter kit. Now, any chance your son-in-law might like to join a great forum by the name of The Shave Nook? Biggrin

2 11,211
 03-07-2012, 02:56 PM
  • Manticore
  • Old And In The Way
User Info
(03-07-2012, 02:15 PM)freddy Wrote: Chris, that is an incredible starter kit. Now, any chance your son-in-law might like to join a great forum by the name of The Shave Nook? Biggrin

Freddy, you can bet we will be having that conversation next time they come over for a visit! Wink

0 136
 03-07-2012, 02:59 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(03-07-2012, 02:56 PM)Manticore Wrote:
(03-07-2012, 02:15 PM)freddy Wrote: Chris, that is an incredible starter kit. Now, any chance your son-in-law might like to join a great forum by the name of The Shave Nook? Biggrin

Freddy, you can bet we will be having that conversation next time they come over for a visit! Wink

[Image: 1thumbup.gif]

2 11,211
 03-08-2012, 05:09 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
What an incredible father in law you are. He will definitely be hooked on wet shaving and hopefully a lifer on this forum.

102 12,527
 03-08-2012, 06:01 PM
  • Johnny
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I need to step up to the plate. I converted my 34-year old son about three weeks ago to wet shaving but I only gave him a Schick G1, some blades, and a travel size tub of Proraso Green. I made several brush recommendations but have no clue if he has ordered one. We are going down to Madison this weekend to see him so maybe I should take him my D.R. Harris H2 best badger brush that I don't use anymore. He uses Brute after shave but I am taking him a bottle of Floid Suave.

174 23,675
 03-09-2012, 12:35 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I haven't been able to work it into that many conversations, but I did manage to appeal to one friend's sense of decadence and snootiness to get him to try a luxurious shave soap. It was all downhill from there.

Another friend of mine who is significantly older than I mentioned that my posts on Facebook had him remembering his DE razor and wondering why he gave it up. As luck would have it, his birthday wasn't too long ago, so my wife and I are giving him a "back to wetshaving" package for a present. Omega Pro 49, RazoRock classic, Lord L6. I'm also going to give him some soap and blade samples from my stash.

10 1,858
 03-10-2012, 08:48 AM
User Info
Let's see... I'm up to five converts so far.

Golf buddy got a black tip ss, Shea Moisture brush, puck of Col. Conk bay rum, 4 tucks of blades, copy of 4th ed. Leisurguy, TSA bottle of homemade asb, blade bank, and later a slice off of my brick of Vitos extra red kilo. He loves the brush and soap, but hasn't fully committed to getting over the learning curve of the DE.

Old co-worker and bike racer buddy got a frankenrazor Old Type open comb head on a contract tech handle (eBay gambit trying to collect a good specimen of my dad's birth year razor that didn't pan out), 4 tucks of blades, good slice of Vitos, and a Shea Moisture brush. I put it together in a hurry and forgot the blade bank.

Brother-in-law got a great Christmas kit with a '58 flare tip ss, over 130 blades of various brands, Frank's finest badger, QCS vetiver, Razorock XXX, Lucky Tiger splash, 5th ed. Leisureguy, blade bank, Omega stand for razor and brush, blade bank, and a Dirty Bird "Bill Bowl". He is a folk music singer/songwriter and carries a mountain man beard except during the hottest months in Dallas, TX. He hates to shave because of his coarse hair and delicate skin. He should be primed and ready for another hot summer...

Dad's Christmas was a '48 super speed, similar tackle box full of blades (more because it will be two years before I get to visit again and resupply him), Frank's finest, QCS Vetiver and a Lavender refill, Cyril Salter Indian Sandalwood pot, Razorock XXX, Saint Charles Nutriment, alum block, blade bank, Omega stand, and a 5th ed. Leisureguy. Dad hates when he gets what he feels are extravagant gifts. To my surprise, he was super gracious as he unpacked his case of goodies. We Skype often, and he often remarks how much he loves his razor, though he only shaves twice a week now (up from once a week before Christmas!). He's retired and doesn't feel the need to shave often, but now that he's enjoying his shaves I think he will indulge it a bit more.

The best, however, was this week when I got an email from mom-in-law asking for recommendations for dad-in-law. She was even curious to try it herself! I suggested the Edwin Jagger 89 series, and ASP blades to get going. She then selected a Tweezerman brush and some Crabtree and Evelyn Sienna soap in a bowl. A pretty decent starter kit, but I will augment that with a horse brush and perhaps a good pot of cream at some future gift giving occasion.

3 195
 03-12-2012, 08:56 AM
  • Johnny
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(03-08-2012, 06:01 PM)Johnny Wrote: I need to step up to the plate. I converted my 34-year old son about three weeks ago to wet shaving but I only gave him a Schick G1, some blades, and a travel size tub of Proraso Green. I made several brush recommendations but have no clue if he has ordered one. We are going down to Madison this weekend to see him so maybe I should take him my D.R. Harris H2 best badger brush that I don't use anymore. He uses Brute after shave but I am taking him a bottle of Floid Suave.

Mission accomplished. Brush and after shave delivered. We went over a few lathering pointers, now the rest is up to him.

174 23,675
 03-12-2012, 03:18 PM
  • Manticore
  • Old And In The Way
User Info
(03-10-2012, 08:48 AM)Dirty Texan Wrote: Let's see... I'm up to five converts so far.

Dirty Texan, those are some very nice kits you've put together for your 'converts'. Nice job spreading the word.
I have to find some more razors, I've got a couple more prospects in mind including my older brother.

(03-08-2012, 05:09 PM)slantman Wrote: What an incredible father in law you are. He will definitely be hooked on wet shaving and hopefully a lifer on this forum.

Jerry, that's exactly what I'm hoping will happen!

0 136
 03-15-2012, 08:36 AM
User Info
So far I have a son-in-law, grandson, granddaughter's boyfriend, and niece's partner introduced to wet shaving.

I started them off with a Schick Injector razor, Arko shave stick, C O Bigelow shave cream and a shaving brush.

0 1,377
 03-15-2012, 08:42 AM
  • Johnny
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(03-15-2012, 08:36 AM)wknicholas Wrote: So far I have a son-in-law, grandson, granddaughter's boyfriend, and niece's partner introduced to wet shaving.

I started them off with a Schick Injector razor, Arko shave stick, C O Bigelow shave cream and a shaving brush.

Darn Nick, that's nearly 1/3 the population of Ashland.Biggrin

174 23,675
 03-18-2012, 07:58 AM
  • Manticore
  • Old And In The Way
User Info
My older brother and my nephew are driving cross country from Lake Isabella, CA to NH for a visit at the end of April. My brother has worn a full beard for the last 30 years so there's no chance to convert him. My nephew is another story. I haven't seen him since he was 4 years old, that was 1988. If he doesn't have a beard when they arrive, then the way I see it, he's fair game for a convert. I'll just have to wait and see...

Wink

0 136
 03-22-2012, 04:41 PM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
I have 4 converts so far...

1. My Brother: He went whole hog and from the humble Tech I lent him he now has a bunch of nice razors: EJ89, Weber, Merkur Slant plus a few vintage injectors.
He returned the favor by buying me a very nice L'Occitane Cade soap in the fancy metal container! Smile

2. My oldest Son. I gave him a 1961 Super Speed and the VDH kit with brush, soap and bowl. He's since switched to a Body Shop Synthetic brush.
He went from rarely shaving to nearly daily shaves.. He loves the Rapira blades I gave him.

3. My Sister. I gave her a choice of a Tech or a 1960s Super Speed. She chose the SS. It gives her legs a great shave and her Teenage daughter no longer steals her razors!

4. My Sister's boyfriend. He's a very frugal guy who built his own house on a lot in the middle of a forest in Sweden. I got him a birth-year 1952 Super Speed that my sister gave him for his big "6-Oh!". He's loving it!

0 911
 03-23-2012, 10:37 AM
User Info
3 converts so far...

A buddy from work who is another recent retiree. All it took was a conversation about cartridges, the price and the quality. Then I let him convert himself to the idea. I helped by getting him a Merkur, a huge blade sampler, brush and soap. He's still at it 8 months later and loves it. I still can't get him to desire any other razors though.

Another buddy was converted the exact same way. But I think he shaves dry. Eeeeek And I can't convince him to use the brush and soap, and he isn't interested in any other razors either.

My wife is the 3rd, and after hearing her say, many times, that she was happy with the plastic throwaways she was using I just got her a Lady Gillette for her birthday. Funny, after telling me she didn't want one she used it the first scheduled shave after receiving it. I still can't get her to use proper soap, she just uses bath soap, but one positive little note... She uses and is perfectly happy with my rejected blades. Sees nothing wrong with Dorcos, so I have an outlet for the junk. Thumbup

32 6,320
 03-23-2012, 02:04 PM
User Info
I had one conversion so far yet he wont join any forums as he says he just doesnt have the time to discuss shaving. He was a co-worker and after he left our job I heard he went back to the disposeables and Barbersol...I'll never understand yet he refused to accept suggestions and suffered burn...none the less I offered to the his new EJ off his hands for a small fee..not to mention the Herban Cowboy mug and cream I donated to him

Additionally, I re-introduced another co-worker back into DE shaving..and very simliar he doesnt have the time to get blades
I had one conversion so far yet he wont join any forums as he says he just doesnt have the time to discuss shaving. He was a co-worker and after he left our job I heard he went back to the disposeables and Barbersol...I'll never understand yet he refused to accept suggestions and suffered burn...none the less I offered to the his new EJ off his hands for a small fee..not to mention the Herban Cowboy mug and cream I donated to him

Additionally, I re-introduced another co-worker back into DE shaving..and very simliar he doesnt have the time to get blades

4 158