10-05-2015, 05:59 AM
User Info
Hello all,

I don't post often - or at all really, but I was hoping to get some guidance regarding a new all stainless razor that would be comparable to a Merkur 34C in aggressiveness (or lack thereof) and efficiency.  I've had a number of Merkur razors and they all seem to suffer from plating issues after they've been in use for a while.  I have a 50s Super Speed and an Edwin Jagger DE89, as well as a Parker TTO, but my best shaves by far are with the 34C - it just works best with my face and beard.  So, any suggestions are greatly appreciated - thanks everyone in advance!

Joe 

0 14
 10-05-2015, 06:35 AM
User Info
Hi Joe,
If you can get your hands on a Weber razor in either of the 3 finishes available you'll find a very familiar shave experience to what you have come to enjoy with your Merkur 34C.  Unfortunately Weber razor heads are not manufactured anymore but are some of the best shaving razors ever made in my opinion.  Weber razors come up every so often on the BST for fair prices, and unfortunately there are people asking for (and getting) nearly $400 for them on eBay.

74 2,271
 10-05-2015, 10:20 AM
User Info
400$ for a Weber? They are nice but not that nice. 
I had one and sold it without too much deliberation. One point about Stainless Steel razors is that if a blade develops rust it would stick to a steel surface and it can be very hard to clean, next to impossible if it sticks to a Weber's non smooth plate side. So it means no leaving the blade in.

6 827
 10-05-2015, 02:42 PM
User Info
Thanks for the replies - I've heard of rust-staining issues with SS razors. I'll keep my eye open for a Weber, though I won't be paying $400 for one :-)
I should note that the plating issues I've experienced with Murker razors have never affected their performance.

Joe

0 14
 10-05-2015, 06:31 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
Above The Tie M2 is similar to a Merkur, IMO.  It's just a little bit more aggressive, but it's also more efficient.  I started with a Merkur.  Then I bought a Weber, Feather AS-D2, and ATT M2.  I sold the Weber and Feather.  I use the ATT at home and the Merkur as a travel razor.

3 561