10-05-2015, 10:24 AM
User Info
At around 2011, Rooney modified their standard non-heritage brush lineup, replacing hair grades Super & Silvertip with just Silvertip. They also changed their logo from the block letter style to the script logo.

[Image: RHTuvQl.png]

I always wondered why they made this change, since it seemed like their brushes were already so popular. Why change it? Well, I can't say that I have found out the answer to this mystery. However, while browsing an auction site, I did come across an interesting vintage Rooney hair brush, apparently owned by the seller's great grandmother (born in 1914):

[Image: 61v3A2M.png]
[Image: 5g49gIM.png]

The style of the Rooney logo on the brush looks to match the style of the logo on the newer Rooney handles. Apparently, the script Rooney logo was actually a return to a logo used quite a while ago. Also interesting, is that the hair brush's logo seems to show a plural "Rooneys" instead of Rooney. Here's a similar image from another old auction with the same script logo, and also mentioning "Rooneys":

[Image: wUa6JAr.png]

When looking up "Rooneys" on the internet, there is some interesting information here, on a site labeled "Society of Brushmakers' Descendants". It lists the company name as "ROONEYS OF WALTHAMSTOW", and actually provides a contact number, I'm sure no longer functional.

40 1,166
 10-05-2015, 10:38 AM
User Info
I like the newer logo.

13 947
 10-05-2015, 11:07 AM
User Info
Thank you for the reference.

26 470
 10-05-2015, 11:48 AM
User Info
Cool to know, thanks my friend!
I have to admit I have a preference for the block letter variety, however I think this preference has far more to do with the hair in the knots than the writing on the handle.  I would really enjoy the script style handle as well if the hair was comparable to the the block letter variety.  Man I wish Rooney Finest and Heritage 2-bands were still being made, I'd spend a fortune on them if they were still available retail!

74 2,274
 10-06-2015, 04:11 PM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
(10-05-2015, 11:48 AM)merkur man Wrote: Cool to know, thanks my friend!
I have to admit I have a preference for the block letter variety, however I think this preference has far more to do with the hair in the knots than the writing on the handle.  I would really enjoy the script style handle as well if the hair was comparable to the the block letter variety.  Man I wish Rooney Finest and Heritage 2-bands were still being made, I'd spend a fortune on them if they were still available retail!

+1

I love threads like this thanks!

17 439
 10-06-2015, 11:28 PM
User Info
My thoughts.......

Block letter logo: Superior hair type, superior knots, great Rooney quality
Script letter logo: Inferior/mediocre middle of the road hair type, mediocre knots, not so great Rooney quality

FYI
Rooney was overtaken by a new company when they went away from the block letter logo..........since then it has all been going downhill with the quality of Rooney brushes. At best the current Rooney brushes are middle of the road, at worst they are mediocre. 

24 5,966
 10-07-2015, 05:04 AM
User Info
Great information and very informative. It just makes me reminisce about the old block letter Rooney's though. It's kind of a shame the way things have gone.

Jason

5 71
 10-07-2015, 05:28 AM
User Info
(10-07-2015, 05:04 AM)FSMisMyCopirate Wrote: Great information and very informative. It just makes me reminisce about the old block letter Rooney's though. It's kind of a shame the way things have gone.

Jason

Very true, there is no finer brush in my opinion.

74 2,274
 10-07-2015, 06:24 AM
User Info

Would you believe that it was a script logo Rooney that actually got me hooked on brushes? I had been using a Semogue 1305 and a Simpsons Colonel for a few months when I started wet shaving, and enjoyed them. But then I ordered the tortoise Rooney 3/1 silvertip from Vintage Blades, and was blown away. Compared with my first two brushes, this was in another league. The quality of the knot was so much better than the Colonel in best. Softer hair, but not floppy (IMO), and a beautifully formed fan shape. Of course, now I have tried the block letter heritage and finest brushes which are in another league as well, but I still enjoy that script logo 3/1. 

I too wish Rooney would return and put out Heritage 2-bands and Finest brushes again. Man, don't they realize they are leaving a lot of money on the table? Just from Nathan's bank account alone!!  Biggrin

40 1,166
 10-07-2015, 06:45 AM
User Info
(10-06-2015, 11:28 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: My thoughts.......

Script letter logo: Inferior/mediocre middle of the road hair type, mediocre knots, not so great Rooney quality

FYI
Rooney was overtaken by a new company when they went away from the block letter logo..........since then it has all been going downhill with the quality of Rooney brushes. At best the current Rooney brushes are middle of the road, at worst they are mediocre. 

Totally agree on the quality of Block letter brushes vs Script letter. And the more recent batches have had huge problems with shedding as well. 

My impression is that Lee Sabini continued to have some role in the company at least until mid-2014. Not sure about currently. I had asked Jim at Vintage Blades a few questions about Rooneys in 2014, and in his response he still referred to Lee as the owner of Rooney. That was also the last year that they received a shipment of brushes from Rooney, and communications between them seemed to end at that time as well.

40 1,166
 10-07-2015, 07:18 AM
User Info
(10-07-2015, 06:24 AM)shevek Wrote:

Would you believe that it was a script logo Rooney that actually got me hooked on brushes? I had been using a Semogue 1305 and a Simpsons Colonel for a few months when I started wet shaving, and enjoyed them. But then I ordered the tortoise Rooney 3/1 silvertip from Vintage Blades, and was blown away. Compared with my first two brushes, this was in another league. The quality of the knot was so much better than the Colonel in best. Softer hair, but not floppy (IMO), and a beautifully formed fan shape. Of course, now I have tried the block letter heritage and finest brushes which are in another league as well, but I still enjoy that script logo 3/1. 

I too wish Rooney would return and put out Heritage 2-bands and Finest brushes again. Man, don't they realize they are leaving a lot of money on the table? Just from Nathan's bank account alone!!  Biggrin

Hahaha!  Indeed!  If you are out there listening somewhere Lee Sabini, I'll buy almost everyone of them you want to make!

74 2,274
 10-07-2015, 10:40 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info

FYI

The early Script logo Rooneys maintained a very high quality in my experience (I have tried several in the Style 1,2 and 3 series, currently only have 1/1 with script logo).  I didn't notice a decline personally until the last couple of years.  Now this is going off of my own personal experience. I would be interested in knowing about this ownership change that you mentioned as I haven't heard any facts on this.

144 2,752
 10-07-2015, 11:35 AM
User Info
(10-07-2015, 10:40 AM)blzrfn Wrote:

FYI

The early Script logo Rooneys maintained a very high quality in my experience (I have tried several in the Style 1,2 and 3 series, currently only have 1/1 with script logo).  I didn't notice a decline personally until the last couple of years.  Now this is going off of my own personal experience. I would be interested in knowing about this ownership change that you mentioned as I haven't heard any facts on this.

Have to agree with you Dave. I don't have an old block letter 3/1 for comparison, but my script logo 3/1 is from 2013. I feel like this is a very high quality brush. I then purchased a 1/2 from 2014 and the drop off in quality is clear.

40 1,166