10-05-2015, 05:31 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
Where should I start to look for one of these new. Is there anything I should know about them before trying to find one.

5 527
 10-06-2015, 09:47 AM
User Info
If you want, possibly, the nicest one, then the Iwasaki is superb. Unfortunately, they are usually sold out and hard to acquire.
The Tosuke Inoue are also quite nice.
Also, most Kamisoris have a/an asymmetrical grind, so you'll need to be aware of that unless you can source one with a symmetrical (western-grind), which I found easier to use.

Depending on the amount you want to spend, you should be able to get a good used one to try to see if they are for you. However, I am not sure where the best place to source them is, at the moment, so
I'll defer to the experts, now, to assist you, further, as my experience is rather limited with straights.
Good luck.  Shy

83 21,077
 10-08-2015, 06:08 PM
User Info
I see them from time to time with the razor builders or artisan builders I do business with.  Problem is, they are or have their own following and usually sometimes aside from those who str8 shave.  I know some guys that do both but usually not.  I hear that a Kami can be harder to use and learn than a straight.  I saw a post once where a guy's face looked like hamburger once done with a Kami...... Shok

I don't say this to scare you from them but what I have heard from users when first starting out.  I think the key is going slow with any new grooming tool.

0 413
 10-10-2015, 06:32 AM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
Proper use of the tool is important! Any open blade razor requires superb sharpness so as to require no pressure on the skin to effect a good shave. The blade slides easily on the skin surface and anything sticking up is removed.
There are many sellers on the 'bay and the Kami's of various types appear in the selling columns occasionally.
~Richard

8 1,194