10-06-2015, 10:14 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I find myself reaching for my modified Merkur Progress (Mergress) more than any other razor. It has become my gold standard and is the razor that I find I can shave with most consistently, regardless of blade or soap/cream choice. I like to adjust the setting during the shave, and I would like to see the numbers on the knob better. I notice the vintage Progresses had numbers painted in red, and I think this would look great. Has anyone painted markings on a razor handle before? Could someone recommend a particular paint or method to spruce up my Progress?

Thanks!

43 1,698
 10-06-2015, 12:19 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I've used a Sharpie, and some enamel that was originally sold and purchased for filling in the paint on the back of golf iron heads, but only on nickel plated Gillettes, so not sure it would work as well on whatever a Mergress dial is made of .. Both were applied and the surrounding area wiped off immediately with a thumb.   Just make sure it is clean and dry, and any waterproof enamel should do the trick.

43 461
 10-06-2015, 12:22 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Model paint would probably be a good choice. I've seen a thread somewhere about this it's been a a while though.

118 1,708
 10-06-2015, 03:34 PM
User Info
+ 1 on model paint. Something like Testors. I have seen posts before about guys having good results using it to repaint the numbers on Gillette 195 Adjustables and on the Slims.

Sent from my iPhone directly into your brain using Tapatalk

0 53
 10-06-2015, 04:35 PM
User Info
Whatever Delta Echo uses. I bet model paint would work as mentioned above. This is something I would like to try on my Maggard handles so thanks for inquiring.

13 947
 10-06-2015, 06:12 PM
User Info
Seems like whatever you could find at a hobby store would be fine. Regardless of whether the paint is waterproof or not I would still put some sort of sealer like polyurethane over it.

3 1,356
 10-06-2015, 06:49 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
(10-06-2015, 06:12 PM)Otis375 Wrote: Seems like whatever you could find at a hobby store would be fine. Regardless of whether the paint is waterproof or not I would still put some sort of sealer like polyurethane over it.

Sealer is probably a good idea, though the golf club paint pens I used held up to sand, immersion, etc.  pretty well without it.  Guess it depends much on the base material, prep, and paint formulation.  The golf club heads were chromed steel, which I recall being the material description for the Mergress knob anyway.  Worse case is the hobby shop for a buck, if it wears off you can re-coat a bunch of times ..

43 461
 10-06-2015, 09:17 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I sent an email to "Mer" himself, and he recommended Testors enamel paint from a hobby shop. I'll give that a try and post my results here.

43 1,698