10-06-2015, 02:14 PM
User Info
I just bought a Rolls Razor in very good order, which I should have in a few days.  
Who can hone the blade for me?  Preferably someone in Seattle or nearby.  
I'd rather have it done right by a pro, than screw it up myself.  
Any suggestions?

11 84
 10-06-2015, 02:27 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
You could try using the hone and strop that is part of the kit.

Bob

0 1,694
 10-06-2015, 02:37 PM
User Info
I have heard and read that the hone that comes with it is too coarse a stone for it's purpose.  
Besides I've never honed a razor before.  I'm looking for a honemeister in the greater Seattle area.

11 84
 10-06-2015, 03:22 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
You might want to have a look at this http://straightrazorplace.com/honing/122...-good.html . Mods delete if link is a no no.

Bob

0 1,694
 10-06-2015, 04:18 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
I believe that at one time Whippeddog.com would.   I don't have experience with whippeddog.com but everyone says he does good work.

Glen at Gemstarcustomes.com said he could sharpen a rolls blade when I was asking about 6 weeks ago.  My first straight came from Glen and he has honed all of my straights since.  I have always received great results from Glen.

Good luck with the Rolls.

3 516
 10-06-2015, 07:19 PM
User Info
(10-06-2015, 03:22 PM)BobH Wrote: You might want to have a look at this http://straightrazorplace.com/honing/122...-good.html . Mods delete if link is a no no.

Bob

Thank you Bob,
I'm going to try the the Rolls honing & stropping method first before having it honed by a second party.

11 84
 10-06-2015, 10:17 PM
User Info
TOD, I have a bit of experience with the Rolls. Don't bother using the Rolls supplied gear for the job it's a waste of time. But you will need it.

But I will link you to a place where I posted precisely how I got mine in shape for shaving and there is a bit more data there as well. I never honed anything previous to the Rolls and I got mine shave ready and maintained it. It's not difficult to do yourself and once you learn how you'll own it. Nor is it terribly expensive as what you'll purchase (assuming intact Rolls stone and strop) will last for a very long time. Trust me you want to learn to do this since it will need to be touched up every 30 shaves or so. Yes, you can do it.

>>>>>>>>>>>click here<<<<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>.more info here<<<<<<

32 6,445
 10-07-2015, 07:40 AM
User Info
Many thanks to David and Brian for all the good information.

Donald

11 84