10-06-2015, 03:24 PM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
I'm getting ready for a trip to Portugal (including Lisbon, Porto, Coimbra and Faro) then Sevilla in Spain.
Any suggestions for shave purchases? I'm thinking of Musgo Real creams and/or post-shave and maybe a Semogue brush from Portugal.
In Spain I was thinking something from Myrsol, La Toja or LEA.

Any other suggestions? (cheap is a plus).

Also: Any suggestions for good stores to find Shaving gear in Lisbon, Porto or Sevilla?

Thanks in advance for your tips!

0 912
 10-06-2015, 04:25 PM
User Info
Myrsol products would be a good one.
Oops overlooked you mentioned that one.

147 3,536
 10-06-2015, 04:27 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Vie-Long is somewhere in Valencia-Spain

118 1,708
 10-07-2015, 09:30 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
The Ach Brito factory (which has a factory store) is very close to Porto, in Mindelo - around 20Km north. There you will find most of the Portuguese shaving software, which is actually made by Ach Brito.
This includes the full Musgo Real range of products, Veleiro and Lavanda.

Apart from that, I'd recommend you try to eat a Francesinha and a nice Cabrito Assado while you're in Porto, among other things. I'd be happy to recommend a few spots.

26 4,927
 10-07-2015, 09:58 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
(10-07-2015, 09:30 AM)TheMonk Wrote: The Ach Brito factory (which has a factory store) is very close to Porto, in Mindelo - around 20Km north. There you will find most of the Portuguese shaving software, which is actually made by Ach Brito.

Apart from that, I'd recommend you try to eat a Francesinha and a nice Cabrito Assado while you're in Porto, among other things. I'd be happy to recommend a few spots.

Great tips! I'll see if I can get my wife to agree to visit Ach Brito. Do they have nice products for her too?

I'm looking forward to trying both of your meal suggestions too.

Thanks!

0 912
 10-07-2015, 10:18 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(10-07-2015, 09:58 AM)bjorney Wrote:
(10-07-2015, 09:30 AM)TheMonk Wrote: The Ach Brito factory (which has a factory store) is very close to Porto, in Mindelo - around 20Km north. There you will find most of the Portuguese shaving software, which is actually made by Ach Brito.

Great tips! I'll see if I can get my wife to agree to visit Ach Brito. Do they have nice products for her too?

I'm looking forward to trying both of your meal suggestions too.

Thanks!

Yes, they do - they make wonderfully luxurious bath soaps and a few creams as well. The wife should have no problem in keeping herself busy while you browse the shaving products. Wink

26 4,927
 10-07-2015, 10:43 AM
User Info
Well done, David! Thumbup

83 21,077
 10-08-2015, 01:12 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(10-07-2015, 10:43 AM)celestino Wrote: Well done, David! Thumbup

Thank you, my friend!

26 4,927
 10-08-2015, 04:56 AM
User Info
(10-06-2015, 03:24 PM)bjorney Wrote: I'm getting ready for a trip to Portugal (including Lisbon, Porto, Coimbra and Faro) then Sevilla in Spain.
Any suggestions for shave purchases? I'm thinking of Musgo Real creams and/or post-shave and maybe a Semogue brush from Portugal.

Also: Any suggestions for good stores to find Shaving gear in Lisbon, Porto or Sevilla?

Not to sound boring and take away the joy of traveling, but all products from Spain and Portugal can be found online shipped to you door for less than the gasoline/bus ticket you have to buy to actually find it in the country.

For instance is Musgo Real and O Melhor hard to find in stores in Portugal - while just a click away online.

24 5,965
 10-08-2015, 08:53 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
(10-08-2015, 04:56 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(10-06-2015, 03:24 PM)bjorney Wrote: I'm getting ready for a trip to Portugal (including Lisbon, Porto, Coimbra and Faro) then Sevilla in Spain.

Not to sound boring and take away the joy of traveling, but all products from Spain and Portugal can be found online shipped to you door for less than the gasoline/bus ticket you have to buy to actually find it in the country.

For instance is Musgo Real and O Melhor hard to find in stores in Portugal - while just a click away online.

True, but it's a fun addition to a trip. Smile
It's fun to see and smell the products "in person".

0 912
 10-08-2015, 10:53 AM
User Info
If I were in Portugal, I'd look for the 444 aftershave gel. From what I read, it is readily available in stores and modestly priced too.
I've heard good things about the product (it's known for its menthol, if you like that).
Apparently its origins are in Porto!
Buy a bunch and give 'em as stocking stuffers. Smile

If I were in Barcelona, I would look for the Myrsol store.

8 915
 10-08-2015, 01:43 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(10-08-2015, 04:56 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:

That's not entirely accurate, Claus.
Most Ach Brito products are indeed available online, but they are considerably cheaper here in Portugal then in the international online stores. Not only that, the Factory Store I mentioned sells everything with with 20% off, which makes them even cheaper.

The Geleia 444 is indeed a nice product, Rory - I had forgotten about that one. It's available in a lot of brick & mortar stores in Porto, specially the ones downtown.

26 4,927
 10-08-2015, 02:06 PM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
(10-08-2015, 01:43 PM)TheMonk Wrote: That's not entirely accurate, Claus.
Most Ach Brito products are indeed available online, but they are considerably cheaper here in Portugal then in the international online stores. Not only that, the Factory Store I mentioned sells everything with with 20% off, which makes them even cheaper.

The Geleia 444 is indeed a nice product, Rory - I had forgotten about that one. It's available in a lot of brick & mortar stores in Porto, specially the ones downtown.

David - Any suggestions for brick & mortar stores in Porto? In case I can't get out to Ach. Brito?

I'm dying to try your food suggestions too! They both sound tasty!

0 912
 10-08-2015, 02:22 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(10-08-2015, 02:06 PM)bjorney Wrote:
(10-08-2015, 01:43 PM)TheMonk Wrote: That's not entirely accurate, Claus.

David - Any suggestions for brick & mortar stores in Porto? In case I can't get out to Ach. Brito?

I'm dying to try your food suggestions too! They both sound tasty!

The best brick & mortar store in Porto for wetshaving is definitely:

Casa de Guimarães
Street: Rua do Bonjardim, 464
Zip: 4000-117
Phone: 222000830
Email: casaguimaraes2010@gmail.com

It's a small store, but it has quite a few Ach Brito creams, as well as Geleia 444 and Semogue brushes.
Just down the street, you have a store called Balada da Sorte, that also has a ton of creams and aftershaves, as well as multi cartridge and blades.

These are definitely your two best bets in Porto, apart from the Ach Brito store.

Nearby there are also a few good spots to eat a Francesinha as well as a few other great snacks, Bifanas (sort of a meat sandwich with a spicy sauce) and Cachorrinhos (a kind of hot dog, but completely different from what you might be thinking of). I'd be happy to give you more details, if you want me to.

26 4,927
 10-11-2015, 02:07 PM
  • Amzimbo
  • Smooth as a fresh shaven diplomat
  • New Jersey and Mozambique
User Info
The store "A Vida Portuguesa" carries a large variety of traditional Portuguese products, including shaving gear, soaps and fragrances. There are branches in Porto and in the Chiado in Lisbon. Nice places and the Lisbon store has an especially charming old interior. 

Polycarpo is a traditional store supplying all kinds of grooming tools, including a good selection of Semogue and Vie Long brushes. Located in the Baixa ("downtown") of Lisbon. 

The Barbereria Campos, also in the Chiado, is supposed to be the oldest barbershop in Europe. Unfortunately, it's traditional location is closed while the building is renovated and its temporary spot a block away doesn't have the same old-fashioned charm.

5 85
 10-11-2015, 02:43 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Ganiveteria Roca 
Plaça del Pi, 3
Barcelona 

Shop that's been around for years, selling all things sharp including wet shaving gear.

It's in a beautiful part of the Gothic part of town.

[Image: VqWB9ks.jpg]

102 18,649
 10-14-2015, 10:23 AM
User Info
When ins Spain see if you can stock up on Floid Blue, as apparently it has been discontinued.

0 32
 10-14-2015, 10:28 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(10-14-2015, 10:23 AM)HagbardCeline Wrote: When ins Spain see if you can stock up on Floid Blue, as apparently it has been discontinued.

1. I looked and didn't find any Floid Blue readily available at Barcelona stores.
2. Regardless, I was concerned about breakage/leakage issues with checked-in baggage.

102 18,649
 10-14-2015, 11:20 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Espagna 1978: buy black,basque beret-drink wine-go to horseshow in Andalucía-drink wine and goat cheese- visit the Alhambra-drink wine
buy a copper paella pan after discovering that most wonderfull of foods- with lots of wine.

2 3,171
 10-14-2015, 12:37 PM
User Info
Definitely in Spain Jamon de Bellota with wine "Protos" for example and try a good Paella ..NEVER try paella "paellador" ;-)

Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin

[Image: f78697ad85a2d2d15945ecc9493a7794.jpg]

8 1,682