06-29-2012, 07:02 PM
User Info
I have been seeing the same Chiropractor now for about 2 years and over that amount of time, while he has been treating me, we have discussed many things. Recently we discussed my brush making and some of the things on the forum. I knew he wet shaved and has used DEs and other traditional shaving items. I finally got him to tell me that he used an inexpensive boar brush and Williams soap. He even stated that he liked the fact that he could get a good lather and Williams was inexpensive and lasted a long time. He said, "Its two bucks a puck, and I kind of like the smell of it." However, he could not place the base scent. I then told him it was Citronella and the second I stated that, he went, "Yes, that is it. That what it smells like. It was so familiar but I could not place it." I told him that some of the forum members call it "skeeter be gone." I realized that he really was not interested in the higher end, or even the middle group, of shaving products. He just wanted a nice inexpensive shave. About that time, my treatment was complete and he was ready to see his next patient.

While driving home, I thought about the inexpensive boar brush, the Williams Soap and reasoned that it is time for my Chiropractor to get an upgrade! So, I went and got a puck of VDH soap at Wal-Mart to prove that he could have something other than Williams at the same price. I also got busy with a TGN synthetic knot and a Maple handle. I was going to make him a custom synthetic with a little bit of weighting for balance. I took a maple handle that I had available and drilled the existing hole deeper to hold two nickels for ballast. I then applied three coats of Minwax Polycrylic both inside and outside the handle to make it waterproof. After the brush completed drying the final setup was made by placing epoxy in the hole and placing each nickel in the hole and epoxying them in place. I then epoxied the knot in place and here is the final product.
[Image: 7470178236_9d6d5c6cd8_b.jpg]

When I went back for my treatment today, I surprised him with the new custom brush and the VDH. He smelled the VDH and said, "This is an upgrade on soap and it is the same price as Williams." He then felt the brush tips and stated, "Wow, this thing is soft and has stiffness. This thing must do a great job of lathering." He thanked me for the custom brush. He was impressed in the quality of the product.

So I left with my Chiropractor very happy, ready to enjoy his upgrade with his next shave. I look forward to hearing how his shaving has changed now that he has an received an "upgrade!"

1 2,827
 06-29-2012, 07:26 PM
User Info
Great story and very kind of you to think of the one who cares for you.

47 1,270
 06-29-2012, 07:52 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Great story,Gary,and very nice of you,sir.
The title could be also used for a movie or a novel!
Let us know what your friend thinks about the synthetic brush.

86 7,123
 06-29-2012, 08:12 PM
User Info
Congrats Gary on making chiropractic a lifestyle to achieve optimum whole body results rather than short term symptomatic relief. Also it was quite nice of you to do that for your Chiro. Well done sir! If you would by PM I'd love to have his/her website. It'd be great to have a Chiro I can talk to about traditional shaving while also talking shop. BTW, your brush looked great. Where would you rate the TGN synth knots with the others that have been tested?

31 7,912
 06-30-2012, 03:40 AM
User Info
(06-29-2012, 08:12 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Congrats Gary on making chiropractic a lifestyle to achieve optimum whole body results rather than short term symptomatic relief. Also it was quite nice of you to do that for your Chiro. Well done sir! If you would by PM I'd love to have his/her website. It'd be great to have a Chiro I can talk to about traditional shaving while also talking shop. BTW, your brush looked great. Where would you rate the TGN synth knots with the others that have been tested?

The TGN synthetic is exactly the same knot as the Franks Shaving knot. So any attributed that go to the FS knot apply to the TGN.
It is now slightly behind the latest offerings by Artist Brushstrokes (H.I.S.) and Muhle, but is still an extremely good knot.

PM sent.

1 2,827
 06-30-2012, 06:25 AM
User Info
Great story Gary and a very generous gesture. Thanks for sharing the story here. Smile

6 135
 06-30-2012, 06:35 AM
User Info
(06-30-2012, 03:40 AM)GDCarrington Wrote:
(06-29-2012, 08:12 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Congrats Gary on making chiropractic a lifestyle to achieve optimum whole body results rather than short term symptomatic relief. Also it was quite nice of you to do that for your Chiro. Well done sir! If you would by PM I'd love to have his/her website. It'd be great to have a Chiro I can talk to about traditional shaving while also talking shop. BTW, your brush looked great. Where would you rate the TGN synth knots with the others that have been tested?

The TGN synthetic is exactly the same knot as the Franks Shaving knot. So any attributed that go to the FS knot apply to the TGN.
It is now slightly behind the latest offerings by Artist Brushstrokes (H.I.S.) and Muhle, but is still an extremely good knot.

PM sent.

Thanks for all the information. Much appreciated.

31 7,912
 06-30-2012, 06:42 AM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
Thats a great story, ive tried to talk some people into at least trying soap/creams with a brush never been able to convert anyone or upgrade some gear, its always a great feeling when you can bring joy into someones life,

but i have never tried upgrading a few people who i know use the wallmart wilkonson bristle, or williams users. It's not a obsession of mine, just something i do when the conversation turns to shaving with people.

you ever tell your Chiro he really "cracks you up" ? lol my guy doesnt think its funny, but thats why i do lol

3 748
 06-30-2012, 07:06 AM
User Info
(06-30-2012, 06:42 AM)syngent Wrote: Thats a great story, ive tried to talk some people into at least trying soap/creams with a brush never been able to convert anyone or upgrade some gear, its always a great feeling when you can bring joy into someones life,

but i have never tried upgrading a few people who i know use the wallmart wilkonson bristle, or williams users. It's not a obsession of mine, just something i do when the conversation turns to shaving with people.

you ever tell your Chiro he really "cracks you up" ? lol my guy doesnt think its funny, but thats why i do lol

Mine would laugh and say, let's get cracking!

1 2,827
 06-30-2012, 07:23 AM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
(06-30-2012, 07:06 AM)GDCarrington Wrote:
(06-30-2012, 06:42 AM)syngent Wrote: Thats a great story, ive tried to talk some people into at least trying soap/creams with a brush never been able to convert anyone or upgrade some gear, its always a great feeling when you can bring joy into someones life,

Mine would laugh and say, let's get cracking!
HAHAHA, He sounds like a great guy. you should invite him here, certainly sounds worth the custom brush upgrade

3 748
 06-30-2012, 12:41 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Thank you for sharing Gary Smile

you certainly PIF to him, let us know what he thinks of the upgrade...

Nice job on the brush!

If you have a spare EverReady 105, I'd love to hear how much you would charge me to have the knot upgraded to a synth! PM me if you'd be willing Smile

9 1,684