10-07-2015, 04:45 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
Some nice man named shaver joe gave me a gold dollar. I received it tonight. So I tried 3 passes with it but had to finsh with a de. I thank my angle was -30-0 deg most of the shave. I hope I can learn it cause I liked trying tonight was fun. 

Shaver joe is a good man btw.

5 527
 10-07-2015, 04:50 PM
User Info
Awesome Chaddy!  You want to try and keep the blade angle to about 20 degrees.  Not an absolute but close.  Usually first times are less than stellar.  I started by just shaving my sideburn area then tried my jaw line then added more until I had the whole face. 

It will come with time.

0 413
 10-07-2015, 06:04 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
You'll get there! Short strokes, take your time, relather if the lather dries - drying lather is not a good thing with a straight.

Cheers, Steve

7 526
 10-07-2015, 07:25 PM
User Info
Quick question hoping not to disturb the OP: do you need to learn how to use both hands in order to "do it right"? (meaning getting bbs shaves, so function not form)

8 1,127
 10-07-2015, 08:31 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(10-07-2015, 07:25 PM)lloydrm Wrote: Quick question hoping not to disturb the OP: do you need to learn how to use both hands in order to "do it right"? (meaning getting bbs shaves, so function not form)

You don't really have to use both hands some guys only use their right hand to shave with. I found it easy to use both hands, never thought hard about it just tried it and the more I shaved the more it seemed natural and actually the easiest way to use one for me. Its important to stretch the skin and once one finds the right cutting angle to not try to maneuver the straight in stranger angling positions to avoid cuts. Too, easy concentration is key to using a straight if my mind wonders or worries invade my thinking a cut will occur.

Hands down the best straight razor tutorial video out there.

15 541
 10-07-2015, 11:03 PM
User Info
Thank you for your advise.

8 1,127
 10-08-2015, 10:38 AM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
Anybody getting BBS shaves with a str8?

5 527
 10-08-2015, 11:21 AM
User Info
He does 

8 1,127
 10-08-2015, 05:05 PM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
You can achieve bbs easily with a straight. Maybe not a gold dollar but that's up for debate.. Depends on how it's honed, modified etc.  

Congrats you'll get better

3 227
 10-08-2015, 05:49 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
Shaved with it again tonite. I'm having trouble trying to stretch and see. Anybody have this problem. How important is stretching the skin? Thanks for everybody's help im greatful  for it. 

What would a good str8 be for me to pick next? 1/2 full 1/4 hollow all kinds of things to know about a str8. D.E. ain't really much to know. I've not got a strop either.

5 527
 10-08-2015, 05:55 PM
User Info
(10-07-2015, 07:25 PM)lloydrm Wrote: Quick question hoping not to disturb the OP: do you need to learn how to use both hands in order to "do it right"? (meaning getting bbs shaves, so function not form)

lloyddrm-

I would say not but it certainly helps to be able to use both.  I am right hand dominant but I shave better with my left hand now than I do using my right!  Go figure.

0 413
 10-08-2015, 05:59 PM
User Info
(10-08-2015, 05:49 PM)Chaddy Wrote: Shaved with it again tonite. I'm having trouble trying to stretch and see. Anybody have this problem. How important is stretching the skin? Thanks for everybody's help im greatful  for it. 

What would a good str8 be for me to pick next? 1/2 full 1/4 hollow all kinds of things to know about a str8. D.E. ain't really much to know. I've not got a strop either.

The best way to stretch is use a alum block and get your fingertips wet then rub on the alum and then use those fingertips to pull the skin.  The applied alum will not slip and grip the skin to allow you to stretch the skin to really raise the hair follicles.

A good alum block will last a long time and cost about $6 roughly.  Plus, once you're done shaving, run the block under cold water and rub on the entire face.  It is a astringent as well as a antiseptic to assist with any cuts or nicks.  Now be prepared, it will burn a tad!!!!  But it tightens the skin.  Once applied let it sit on the skin for about 30-45 seconds then rinse your face with cold tap water.  Your face will tighten up and will help achieve that baby butt feel if you did your part right with the razor.

0 413
 10-08-2015, 06:01 PM
User Info
(10-08-2015, 10:38 AM)Chaddy Wrote: Anybody getting BBS shaves with a str8?

Almost always!  But it took time and the razor must be shave ready each session.

0 413
 10-08-2015, 06:04 PM
User Info
(10-08-2015, 05:55 PM)Str8shaver Wrote:

lloyddrm-

I would say not but it certainly helps to be able to use both.  I am right hand dominant but I shave better with my left hand now than I do using my right!  Go figure.

Thanks str8shaver. I have to give str8 a try. We'll see

8 1,127
 10-08-2015, 07:52 PM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
(10-08-2015, 05:49 PM)Chaddy Wrote: Shaved with it again tonite. I'm having trouble trying to stretch and see. Anybody have this problem. How important is stretching the skin? Thanks for everybody's help im greatful  for it. 

Stretching is super important to ensure a close shave, so is a strop. Absolutely crucial. Your shaves will degrade quickly without stretching or a strop.. Before you get a new straight get a strop!!

3 227
 10-09-2015, 01:13 AM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
Where and what kind of strop should I get?

5 527
 10-09-2015, 03:35 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I found that thinking in terms of spine widths instead of degrees is easier to visualize the blade angle with. I use about 1 to 2 spine widths gap between face and the razors spine. 

Along with using your fingers to stretch your skin you can puff out your cheeks and put your tongue between your teeth and lower lips to aid in stretching. When doing your neck raise your chin and point it out.

A strop is necessary to maintain the edge. You should strop before each shave. The strop should have a non leather component and a leather component. I do about 10 to 20 strokes on linen and then 60 or more on leather before a shave. I like a 3 inch wide strop so I do not have to use an X stroke while stropping. Do not get too expensive a strop for your first one as you will likely nick or cut it learning to strop properly which is normal from what I have read and from personal experience. Minor nicks and cuts can be repaired though. 

Stropping properly has it's own learning curve too. Done well it will maintain your edge but done poorly will degrade the edge. 

In the beginning I'd be prepared to send the razor out for honing more frequently because poor technique in shaving and stropping will likely make that necessary. As you improve in both areas the need for honing as frequently will decrease. 

I would leave learning to hone your own razor until you are able to shave and maintain you razor well. Honing has it's own very steep leaning curve.

Personally I find any grind if properly honed will shave well but feel different while shaving. The rest is personal preference so any grind is worth a try.

Yes with enough time and practice a BBS is possible with a SR.

Bob

0 1,694
 10-09-2015, 04:29 AM
User Info
(10-09-2015, 01:13 AM)Chaddy Wrote: Where and what kind of strop should I get?

Lots of places have great strops.  I suggest if new to stropping to get a 3" wide rather than anything less so it will make for easier back and forth movement.  I usually shop the likes of PRC or even SRD for a great priced 3" strop that is well made. 

Also when stropping never apply a downward force but rather the blades weight alone and go very slow at first and you may want to practice using a butter knife prior to putting a sharp edge to it or you will slice it wide open and ruin it.  Try looking at videos like that Lynn Abrams has put on the YT for a great tutorial.  There are others but Lynn is like a razor King and all knowing!

It may also be best to try and seek local help from those in your area that have been doing this for a long time to get input and tutoring.  Seek out a razor meet if there are those in your area if they do indeed meet up.

Good luck.

0 413
 10-09-2015, 04:32 AM
User Info
This is a finesse hobby and process for sure.  From shaving; to lathering; to stropping; to honing is all learned and takes time.  Many folks try to rush it and find the learning curve to be longer and obviously more expensive from screwing up.  So take your time and seek out folks in your area that meet for advice and hands on practice.  I did and benefitted greatly for it.

0 413
 10-09-2015, 04:50 AM
User Info
Here you go (stropping)...............

0 413