10-07-2015, 06:17 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Got these two awhile back to try and restore.

[Image: Rescue-Brushes_zpsgw7cj5ah.jpg]

Finished them today.

[Image: Reknots_zpswd5dengf.jpg]

Bob

0 1,694
 10-07-2015, 06:21 PM
User Info
Looks great. What kind of knots did you use?

42 1,196
 10-07-2015, 07:07 PM
User Info
Great job Bob!

39 3,953
 10-07-2015, 07:15 PM
User Info
Very nice looking brushes  Thumbup
What knots and what not?

8 1,210
 10-07-2015, 09:03 PM
User Info
Great job, Bob and that Simms faux-ivory handle is just gorgeous! Thumbsup

83 21,115
 10-07-2015, 10:38 PM
User Info
Great job, Bob Thumbsup also interested to know the types of knots.

7 787
 10-08-2015, 12:14 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Thanks for the positive comments. 

Both knots were from TGN and were supposed to be fans but I have my doubts about the knot in the brown Simms, looks like a bulb to me. The white Simms has a 22mm Super Badger knot set to a loft of 45mm. I don't like floppy 3 band silvertips so that one is buried pretty deep in the handle. Used it in this mornings shave and the initial impression is quite good. It has decent backbone, soft tips with a bit of scritch/scrub. Being a face lathering shaver that suits me just fine. The brown Simms as a 22mm Finest Badger set to a loft of 50mm. Left the loft a little higher as a 2 band should have a little more backbone than a 3 band anyway. We'll see if that guess was right tomorrow morning.

The white Simms is my favourite handle of the two and the only Simms I have seen like that. The opposite side from the Simms marking is marked "rajah" which perfectly suits the faux ivory handle. A very pleasing handle to look at and very comfortable to face lather with.

Bob

0 1,694
 10-08-2015, 02:15 AM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
the handle material on the simms is stunning

17 447
 10-08-2015, 07:59 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Well, couldn't wait to try out the brown Simms so face lathered and did a quick 2 pass shave with a DE. If the initial impression of the 3 band Super Badger knot was quite good for me, this 2 band Finest badger not ticked all the right boxes for me as an initial impression. 

It has more backbone that the low set 3 band as was expected. Dry the knot felt a bit prickly on the face but whetted and loaded with soap face lathering it was very soft to the face with no decernible scritch/scratch just a nice soft scrubbing feeling. 

Disclaimer here before I make my next comment. I am NOT even vaguely saying the Chinese made TGN 2 band Finest Badger knot is exactly like my Simpsons Manchurian. So nobody get their nickers in a knot about quality or anything else like usually erupts around Chinese made knots. My first thought when lathering with this knot was that it had a face feel very similar to my Simpsons Manchurian. They both have the same knot size and loft so maybe that is part of it. That is not a bad thing as the Simpsons Manchurian is my favourtie badger brush. 

Bob

0 1,694
 10-08-2015, 08:17 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(10-08-2015, 07:59 AM)BobH Wrote: Well, couldn't wait to try out the brown Simms so face lathered and did a quick 2 pass shave with a DE. If the initial impression of the 3 band Super Badger knot was quite good for me, this 2 band Finest badger not ticked all the right boxes for me as an initial impression. 

It has more backbone that the low set 3 band as was expected. Dry the knot felt a bit prickly on the face but whetted and loaded with soap face lathering it was very soft to the face with no decernible scritch/scratch just a nice soft scrubbing feeling. 

Disclaimer here before I make my next comment. I am NOT even vaguely saying the Chinese made TGN 2 band Finest Badger knot is exactly like my Simpsons Manchurian. So nobody get their nickers in a knot about quality or anything else like usually erupts around Chinese made knots. My first thought when lathering with this knot was that it had a face feel very similar to my Simpsons Manchurian. They both have the same knot size and loft so maybe that is part of it. That is not a bad thing as the Simpsons Manchurian is my favourtie badger brush. 

Bob

There is no harm in favoring a knot over another regardless of price or manufacturer.  I have tried several of TGNs knots which I prefer over the Simpson Manchurian, the problem is consistency (really a problem with just about every non-German manufacturer really).

149 2,823
 10-09-2015, 06:16 PM
User Info
Well done sir.

8 98