06-30-2012, 04:12 AM
User Info
I have planned (for a while) to post a bunch of threads with tips on the selection, maintenance, and use of the Rolls Razor.

[Image: Rolls_Razor_open_case.JPG]

For those who are not familiar with these razors, they are 'safety razors' that consist of a small section of a wedge straight blade, with a little 'safety bar' around the blade. It is honed and stropped like a straight, in a self-contained case, and you mount the blade on a handle and use it like a safety.

Anyway, it claims to be a safety razor, and has some characteristics of safeties, but it is otherwise just a 'straight on a stick'.

So where should I post the threads on it? In the Safety Razor Forum, or in the Straight Forum?

37 1,731
 06-30-2012, 05:26 AM
User Info
I can't believe I'm unusual...

I have no interest in having my hand hold a straight against my skin. The result just wouldn't be pretty IMO. But I do have an interest in Rolls Razors.

Where I'm going with this is, if you put it in with the straights, folks like myself won't see it because I never go into that forum. But if you put it in with razors, we will see it.

Now maybe there are gents who only open up the straight section, but I doubt it.

I'm sure what I wrote was worth everything you paid for it.

32 6,309
 06-30-2012, 06:04 AM
User Info
Well, actually I have several Rolls Razor sets. I've been using them for years.

Over time, I've figured out what works and what doesn't. That's what I want to post about here.

37 1,731
 06-30-2012, 07:43 AM
User Info
That is a very nice razor, Yohann.

75 20,883
 06-30-2012, 08:34 AM
User Info
A very curious looking set of kit... where ever you end putting a thread - I use the "new threads" feature to look for interesting threads. so I'll spot it regardless - I hope you include a video of how it's stropped... because I've been staring at the picture for ten minutes now without being able to figure it out Blush

3 3,564
 06-30-2012, 12:46 PM
  • PAW
  • Wet Shaver Addict
  • Illinois
User Info
(06-30-2012, 08:34 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: A very curious looking set of kit... where ever you end putting a thread - I use the "new threads" feature to look for interesting threads. so I'll spot it regardless - I hope you include a video of how it's stropped... because I've been staring at the picture for ten minutes now without being able to figure it out Blush

+ 1 on the video

0 197
 06-30-2012, 01:50 PM
User Info
Sorry, can't do video. However, I will have some pics and instructions. Smile

37 1,731
 07-03-2012, 05:40 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Yohann, I am really looking forward to this thread. I have been debating on and off whether or not to get a Rolls. Most on eBay seem in poor condition or are very expensive. Your write-ups may finally have me decide whether or not to go after one. Smile

As to where to put it, may I suggest In the Safety Razor thread. While it has some attributes of a straight, in it's day it may have been considered closer to a safety because of look and safety bar. I also agree with Brian that there is a better chance that more members may see it there. The only other option might be to have a completely different topic for "Other" razors but I think that would just be unnecessary cluttering and confusion. Just my 2 cents.

2 11,211
 07-03-2012, 05:52 AM
User Info
Right, it will take some time for me to get the threads together, but I'll post them in the Safety Razor forum.

37 1,731
 07-03-2012, 05:58 AM
User Info
I'm looking forward for this thread.

I've seen some Rolls razors for sale on antique/flea markets in the past. However, I know little about these razors, and I cannot tell if those sets I've seen are complete, in good condition or not.Undecided

The Safety Razor forum sounds fine to me!

2 5,527
 07-03-2012, 01:29 PM
User Info
I'm looking forward to reading the thread!

I have a lot of interest in the Rolls.

32 6,309