10-08-2015, 11:17 AM
User Info
The gas company came to my house yesterday to check my meter. They came around noon. About 5pm I had to leave the house for the kids. My wife and 2 kids returned about an hour and a half later. I opened my car door and the smell of natural gas was overwhelming. I backed the car out of the driveway until I didn't smell gas and ran in the house and flipped my breaker in case of sparks.

Called the Gas company and they sent 2 guys to the house as I'm parked like 300 yards down the street. As they are going around and under the house with Meters they tell me the leaks inside so in the house they go.

Finally the guy who had been at my home earlier pulled up in his van. He informed me that he inspected a gasket on my meter earlier and whoops as he GIGGLED and LAUGHED he forgot to put the new gasket in...I blew a gasket on him, never seen someone think endangering a 2 and 11 year old so funny.

Rant off.

3 1,356
 10-08-2015, 11:42 AM
User Info
 10-08-2015, 11:46 AM
User Info
That's not funny at all could have also taken out the block at the same time....

18 659
 10-08-2015, 11:54 AM
User Info
Tell me about it. My closet neighbor is about a quarter mile away, but there is a horse stable with some very expensive horses as my closest neighbor. I have home owners and all that but still who wants there friggin house to explode.

Called and filed a complaint with Alagasco. Their response so far was that their techs are trained extensively and something like this shouldn't happen. They said the technician has been a loyal employee for 25 years. I said ok so me hearing him laugh and chuckle about leaving the gasket out was wrong? Myself and 2 other employeES are all hearing things? I said how do you think I got your number? I said one of the techs gave it to me and his employee ID so I could report him over this,because he was the only one that thought it funny.

Also after they inspected their lines and determined it was my line it became $125.00 an hour per person, I said I'm not paying that when it was your lines the while time not mine. Not my fault they missed the missing gasket and it was the 2nd thing they checked.

3 1,356
 10-08-2015, 12:04 PM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Well, thank goodness you and yours are Ok but agree- not funny and just as easily could have ended ugly.

2 1,180
 10-08-2015, 01:13 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Go Solar

2 3,171
 10-08-2015, 01:14 PM
User Info
(10-08-2015, 12:04 PM)kwsher Wrote: Well, thank goodness you and yours are Ok but agree- not funny and just as easily could have ended ugly.

I knocked on my neighbors door last night to tell them. They didn't answer and I guess assumed it was a social visit. Just saw him outside and I told him what happened.  He said I wondered why you were outside on the phone walking the street and then all those lights... Really? First I'm not that guy to come to your house ,especially uninvited . Secondly if I'm pounding on your door like the police it's not a social visit. Thirdly who stands and listens to phone calls and watches what's going on.

Your right though it could of ended a lot worse . Strange thing is it didn't smell until after we came back,the scent was so strong the gas smell faded and it smelt like detergent is the best way I can describe it. I was trying to stay away from it but at the same time keep people away from it too.

Also I'm a smoker,I'm not proud of it and it's a disgusting habit, but I smoke outside away from my kids, had I lit a cigarette thing would of not been good.

Thank fully thought when I went inside to flip my breaker and try to get my daughter's cat I didn't smell gas. Try explaining to a screaming to year old that thinks her cats about to get blown up that it ran away and hid and wouldn't come out...

IT was just a bad expierence over someones for lack of a better word stupidity. This guy is basically in charge of high explosives and is too dumb or distracted to make sure he does what he came to my house to do in the first place? Come on

3 1,356
 10-08-2015, 01:35 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
1974 I'm in Kodiak Alaska, a non rated blackshoe on an airbase of brownshoes. We have a tsunami drill and evacuate all vehicles to high ground and our 3 C130s and 5 Sikorsky's do an emergency scramble.  We assemble on high ground. I look over and see the executive officer, full commander- leaning against a truck smoking. I read AVIATION FUEL on the tank behind him. The tank that leaked from the release valve. I scream something eloquent like 'JF Christ! , put out your cigarette!' I received extra duty for 30 days.
Stand your ground.

2 3,171
 10-08-2015, 10:01 PM
User Info
I've been in an explosion, it's not fun nor something I wish to go through again..

On another note. I was stationed in North Carolina ,I'm going to keep the town private for out members in NC. Anyway we stopped at a gas station,this old man he looked like popcorn Sutton to be honest old man big beard old truck etc.  Pumping gas in his truck, while smoking a cigarette.

My buddy asks the guy to put the cigarette out as we are on the opposite sides of the pump from him. "Mind your own business" old man says. Friend replies when your gonna blow me up its my business so please put the cigarette out. I tell you you kids now our just plain stupid don't you know I could drop a cigarette in a 5 gallon bucket of gas and it won't catch fire... Yes sir we know that but we are talking fumes here plus in most states it's against the law please put the cigarette out. I tell you boys what,if you can get this gas pump outta my hands I'll put my cigarette out,as he calls us a few names.

Well we had to get gas and the old man was getting rowdy talking about his pistol in his overalls etc. Me or my buddy one turned in a way so he could see our insignia on our uniforms. 

Old man was a snake eater from way back!  We put the cigarette out and we chatted for like half an hour.

3 1,356
 10-09-2015, 11:01 AM
User Info
I've had battles with our utility companies over the years, probably most frequently with the gas company. Most recently, they relocated all our meters outside our houses. The work was atrocious. A letter to the CEO got that fixed. The tech that fixed it admitted that the previous work was awful.

The more annoying and dangerous incident was when I smelled gas in my basement. They came out and told me I was crazy. A short while later, I called again and had them come back. It turns out my meter was bad, and was leaking into my basement. I would have preferred to be without heat for two days earlier when the weather was tolerable, than in sub-zero temperatures with a newborn in the house.

I guess we all make mistakes, but they seem to make lots of them.

0 1,164
 10-09-2015, 11:14 AM
User Info
(10-09-2015, 11:01 AM)Shannon Wrote: I've had battles with our utility companies over the years, probably most frequently with the gas company.  Most recently, they relocated all our meters outside our houses.  The work was atrocious.  A letter to the CEO got that fixed.  The tech that fixed it admitted that the previous work was awful.

The more annoying and dangerous incident was when I smelled gas in my basement. They came out and told me I was crazy.  A short while later, I called again and had them come back.  It turns out my meter was bad, and was leaking into my basement.  I would have preferred to be without heat for two days earlier when the weather was tolerable, than in sub-zero temperatures with a newborn in the house.

I guess we all make mistakes, but they seem to make lots of them.

They couldn't smell the gas around my house either. Even though I'm light headed and about to throw up and pass out they were like we don't smell it... I requested for them to get the detector thing. One admitted that maybe they just got used to the smell.

For every good story about alagasco there are 5 bad ones. On the bright side they did leave me a bottle of soap in a squirt bbottle so I can find my own leak next time... Dodgy

3 1,356
 10-09-2015, 07:17 PM
User Info
There shouldn't be a need to ever use that squirt bottle if they know their jobs.

32 6,524
 10-09-2015, 07:22 PM
User Info
(10-09-2015, 07:17 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: There shouldn't be a need to ever use that squirt bottle if they know their jobs.

Imagine what I was thinking as he said here take this and hands me the bottle. Then he says of if you smell it again just give us a call...Really? What did you think I would do if I smell it again go out there and squirt the soap and jbweld where it'd bubbling? I didn't say that. I did ask him if he'd like me to take over on the pipe wrench to make sure it was on there. The big bold thay connects the pipe coming from the ground to the meter  well there's a gasket in that nut.

3 1,356