10-08-2015, 02:14 PM
User Info
Hello Nook....
Been wet shaving for a very short time now. 1st  DE razor was my Merkur 34c which I bought with the knowledge I picked up here. So far not bad. I also picked up a cheap RazorRock barber pole model that actually shaves my face as good or maybe even better than the 34c. 
My issue is I have the strongest urge to pull the trigger on a Muhle R41. I have read all the posts and reviews on the razors aggressiveness and I feel compelled to try it. Am I crazy? Should I try a more aggressive razor that is tha little less agressive than the R41? Someone talk me down.....lol

0 78
 10-08-2015, 02:44 PM
User Info
I think you may be overthinking it, but if you want to try something more aggressive, how about a Gillette NEW type? The NEW is a fantastic razor, arguably one of the best Gillettes ever made (depending who you ask). You should be able to pick one up in decent condition for 20-25 bucks. Try posting a WTB post and see if anyone will part with one

0 517
 10-08-2015, 03:14 PM
User Info
You might like a more aggressive razor. I don't have a heavy beard but I seem to like an aggressive razor. Another good one to try and it is made of all brass is the Fatip. It is just as aggressive as the Muhle R41. Here is a picture of the Piccolo and the Grande models.

[Image: 8gQPapa.jpg]

5 1,537
 10-08-2015, 04:04 PM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Don't fear the R41 Smile I also agree with S/B. I think the Fatip is one of the best bang for the buck razors in general and can give you a feel for an aggressive shaver. Knowing your level of expertise though, I would likely recommend the R41 from a finish quality perspective. It is a good razor and will treat you right!

2 1,180
 10-08-2015, 04:11 PM
User Info
You can take it slow or go as fast as you want. 
R41 can be a little too aggressive until you get your skills down completely,  but with light touch,  you might get a really good shave. 

I personally dont like to feel a lot of blade on my face,  so r41 was out the door after about 3 shaves. 

It felt like a lethal weapon not a shaver.  But everyone's preference is different.

53 760
 10-08-2015, 04:12 PM
User Info
My suggestion would be standard razor or a nice slant from merkur or ikon. 

Fairly inexpensive but gets good reviews around here. 

Standard razor is not very aggressive but cuts very efficiently. I have a baby smooth that shavea similarly,  but not as efficiently.

53 760
 10-08-2015, 05:02 PM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(10-08-2015, 04:11 PM)parachutefactory Wrote: It felt like a lethal weapon not a shaver.  
Biggrin

2 1,180
 10-08-2015, 05:27 PM
User Info
my way of thinking is to learn on the most aggressive then the rest are easy...i agree with the person above on the fatip. while not the best finish wise i love my fatips much more then my r41

16 660
 10-08-2015, 05:35 PM
User Info
I could never get a smooth shave with the R41. My Joris and Fatip always gives me a smooth shave.

5 1,537
 10-08-2015, 05:40 PM
User Info
I'm kind of in the same boat. I have what most consider mild shavers. They seem to do best for me with a very sharp blade. I've been wondering if I should try something more aggressive. Not really knowing how much more aggressive I should go, I've been thinking maybe an adjustable would be worth a try. Vintage Gillette adjustables can be had for a reasonable price. Heck, I've even seen some Fat Boys go for $40. Perhaps I should start dropping hints for Christmas.

0 1,070
 10-08-2015, 07:11 PM
User Info
An adjustable can be a good answer to some of your curiosities.

8 1,126
 10-09-2015, 12:55 AM
User Info
Do some searching about shimming your razor to increase the gap of the baseplate and cap. Increasing the gap will increase aggressiveness. But do some research yourself before trying, I have not tried it but in theory, it sounds solid.

2 93
 10-09-2015, 04:44 PM
User Info
That is a good idea too. I don't think it is ideal, but can give you a very good idea of what a more aggressive shave is.

8 1,126
 10-09-2015, 06:06 PM
User Info
The blade gap does little to effect the aggressiveness of the razor. The thing that counts the most is blade exposure. The R41 and the Fatip both have a lot of blade exposure. A shim with some razors will increase the aggressiveness a little but the key to aggressiveness is blade exposure.

5 1,537
 10-09-2015, 07:06 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(10-08-2015, 02:14 PM)Paul6506 Wrote: Hello Nook....
Been wet shaving for a very short time now. 1st  DE razor was my Merkur 34c which I bought with the knowledge I picked up here. So far not bad. I also picked up a cheap RazorRock barber pole model that actually shaves my face as good or maybe even better than the 34c. 
My issue is I have the strongest urge to pull the trigger on a Muhle R41. I have read all the posts and reviews on the razors aggressiveness and I feel compelled to try it. Am I crazy? Should I try a more aggressive razor that is tha little less agressive than the R41? Someone talk me down.....lol

You are not crazy, you are just enjoying the hobby. Buy an R41 and give it a try. What do you have to lose? A couple RBCs? You can try some other, not quite as aggressive razors, but you will still wonder about the R41. The most critical factor I have found with the R41 is to use a steep blade angle. That means to put the guard or comb on your face, then tilt the handle away so the blade just starts to touch. The comb should still be touching your skin as you shave. 

If you do not feel quite ready to try the R41, then I strongly recommend picking up an adjustable as your next razor. My top pick would be the Merkur Progress, although the Merkur Futur will allow you to take it to a rather aggressive extreme and is an excellent choice.

If an adjustable doesn't sound appealing to you, then buy a Fatip. The price is right, and the shave is outstanding. 

Or find a Gillette NEW. Another excellent shaver.

43 1,698
 10-09-2015, 07:21 PM
User Info
in the end it is the blade that shaves. I love the Futur on highest setting
An "aggressive razor"  is in the first place just a razor that is less safe...

It is the blade that shaves, if you want to get ahead try shaving with a blade on your face and acquire technique

21 1,175