10-08-2015, 04:23 PM
  • ddk13
  • Nebraska
User Info
I've been considering picking up a small Moss Scuttle.  Really just looking for a brush scuttle as I face lather exclusively and wanting something to keep my brush warm as the winter months approach.  I missed out when Georgetown Pottery was making their small brush scuttles.  I did have a Dirty Bird brush scuttle but didn't really care for the looks nor did I care that it was a two-piece scuttle.  I'm curious if anyone here can give me their opinion on the small Moss, or provide another scuttle option as $95 is a good chunk of change to drop on it.  Thanks!!

42 581
 10-08-2015, 06:20 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Most brush scuttles that I've seen are two piece. I have a DirtyBird brush scuttle and really enjoy it. However, DougSmithPottery on Etsy makes a small, one-piece travel scuttle that could be used for a brush scuttle, and it's only about 1/3 the cost of the small Moss scuttle.

38 5,030
 10-08-2015, 06:37 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
I have had a Dirty Bird brush scuttle for years and it's a great piece to add to any den! I would highly recommend them for face lathering.

28 1,619
 10-08-2015, 10:51 PM
User Info
I asked Robert Becker, who sells scuttles on eBay, usually in various color patterns, to make me this off-white brush scuttle.  It was inexpensive (around $26, I think), and it works well.
[Image: uAjr1uF.jpg]

206 12,189
 10-09-2015, 03:40 AM
User Info
I just picked up a larger scuttle from Dirty Bird and it's amazing. [Image: 4670be697afde316fc725ac41241b793.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 854
 10-09-2015, 04:57 AM
User Info
(10-08-2015, 04:23 PM)ddk13 Wrote: I've been considering picking up a small Moss Scuttle.  Really just looking for a brush scuttle as I face lather exclusively and wanting something to keep my brush warm as the winter months approach.  I missed out when Georgetown Pottery was making their small brush scuttles.  I did have a Dirty Bird brush scuttle but didn't really care for the looks nor did I care that it was a two-piece scuttle.  I'm curious if anyone here can give me their opinion on the small Moss, or provide another scuttle option as $95 is a good chunk of change to drop on it.  Thanks!!

I have a small Moss scuttle and I'm very happy with it. Waterfall pattern, FWIW. I bowl lather but I use the scuttle to hold the brush while I'm applying the razor. Fits the larger sort of brush closely (Chubby 2 or 3, Polo 10). If it broke I would buy another!

George

0 6
 10-09-2015, 06:48 AM
User Info
I purchased a small Robert Becker brush scuttle off eBay for $31 shipped.  I don't know how often he makes them, but worth keeping an eye on.

5 229
 10-09-2015, 06:51 AM
  • ddk13
  • Nebraska
User Info
Thanks for the input guys!  Decisions, decisions Lol!

42 581
 10-09-2015, 11:52 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I've had, over the last 5 years or so, in order, a Georgetown original, A Dirty Bird two piece Brush Scuttle, and the small Moss.  The latter is the only one that remains.  The Georgetown was too big and clunky, though of the most attractive color/finish I've seen, and the large open bowl didn't hold enough warmth long enough.  The DB brush was ok for keeping brush and lather warm, but I felt that the extra piece would somehow lead to breakage of one or the other.  Like tipping the inner bowl into the sink when policing up after the shave.  The Bonnyman was just right for me, even though at the time her's was priciest due to shipping from the Great White North.

Somewhere if I recall correctly there was an objective test of those three, probably at Badger and Blade, that confirmed my impression that the Bonnyman Moss held the warmth the best.  

So you need to figure out if you are wanting to either

1)  build lather in it and keep said lather and brush warm.  I'm not sure that is possible, since a big open bowl releases all the heat.  You can't just fill up with boiling water, as if everyone has a microwave in the shave den, because too hot will ruin the lather.  

Or
2) build the lather elsewhere, a separate bowl or face or palm, then just use the scuttle to keep things warm.  That's my choice, and that leads to the Moss.  Another couple weeks and it will get back to duty, mine gets used only when its colder outside

43 459
 10-10-2015, 04:54 AM
User Info
I think the small Moss scuttle is especially good if you face lather and use shave creams.  I just start the lather with a few quick swishes in the scuttle and finish lathering on the face.  The scuttle keeps the brush and lather warm while shaving.  It also works well if you lather in a bowl and then transfer the lather into the scuttle.  I have the waterfall scuttle and shave bowl combination Sara makes.  The shave bowl is just the right size for making lather.

0 620
 10-11-2015, 07:31 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I've used a small Moss Scuttle for the last 8 years and wouldn't be without it.  I've not tried other makes of scuttles as the Moss more than meets my needs.  I lather on my face and don't lather in the scuttle.  The only drawback is that I can't take the scuttle with me on holiday because it's too heavy and I travel light when I fly.

5 882
 10-19-2015, 10:54 AM
User Info
I sometimes use a double-wall World Market gravy boat as a brush scuttle, and it works nicely.  Unfortunately they no longer are sold retail.  But there is a similar gravy boat listed right now on eBay for $19.99 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BANDWAGON-INC-Do...Sw~gRV34zH

206 12,189
 10-19-2015, 11:08 AM
  • ddk13
  • Nebraska
User Info
(10-19-2015, 10:54 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I sometimes use a double-wall World Market gravy boat as a brush scuttle, and it works nicely.  Unfortunately they no longer are sold retail.  But there is a similar gravy boat listed right now on eBay for $19.99 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BANDWAGON-INC-Do...Sw~gRV34zH

Thanks  for the link. I'd been searching for that one also as the world market boat seems impossible to get.  I went ahead and got it  Biggrin and will put off the Moss Scuttle until Christmas time.

42 581