10-08-2015, 07:56 PM
User Info
Good evening, everyone. I hope you are all well.

I wanted to share with you, all, the 3rd experiment I have conducted with hard water and Mystic Water soap.
A member, here, was kind enough to send me a 500ml bottle of his water from Kentucky, which is supposedly quite hard.
He was having some issues lathering the soap with his boar, badger and synthetic brushes, but has recently been having some great results with synthetics.
Nevertheless, I was curious to see how troublesome his water was and I asked him if he would send me a sample, which he kindly offered to do.
The package arrived, yesterday, and I had no issues this morning using the water and the soap along with a shave-stick, which I always use, nowadays for my shaves.

Subsequently, I was curious to see how it would work when bowl and palm-lathering when loading brushes on the puck, so I conducted another experiment, tonight, after I arrived home from work. 

Firstly, I used my Omega Pro #48 and a puck of Jeff's Lavender; loaded for 45 seconds, then proceeded to bowl-lather (forgive me as I have not done this in many, many years!)
The lather generated quite easily and turned out, just fine. I think I should have added a bit more water to hydrate it as I usually prefer a slicker lather, but it looked, just fine.
The 3rd photo shows the Omega #48 with the initial 45 seconds of loading.

Secondly, I used my M&F 3XL Heritage 2-Band brush (31.5 x 53mm), loaded for 45-55 seconds; 6th photo shows the initial loading; I have to say that it took a bit more work to load the soap onto the brush as this is a very, very dense brush and quite a bit of work to generate the lather to a rich and creamy consistency; it wasn't any excessive amount of work, but longer than what I am accustomed to doing when I face-lather using shave-sticks; I, probably, spent 2-3 minutes generating the lather you see in the last two photos. It wasn't as voluminous as I usually have it, but I think I need more practice with this Kentucky water. Biggrin
The 6th photo is the initial loading of the brush.
The 7th photo is the initial palm-lathering and the last photo is the lather squeezed from the brush.

In conclusion, after conducting these three experiments, I have come to the realization that the issue that folks are having with this soap is, most likely, user error. It is a strong possibility that they are not loading enough soap onto their brushes and, also, not working the soap long enough for the lather to stabilize.
I would highly recommend anyone with hard water having issues with this soap to experiment with a synthetic brush, firstly, then to progress to a boar or badger brush to refine their technique with the respective brushes.

Personally, I still don't find this soap to be much of a challenge or to cause any difficulties as I have had a fair bit of experience using it and I still believe it is an excellent soap and one of the best being produced, at the moment, along with some other magnificent soaps.

The most important thing that I can offer anyone is to make sure you are enjoying your shaves, no matter which product you are using and if you encounter a soap that you find challenges you, just remember make sure you load enough onto your brush, or face, and allow sufficient time to work it so that you can generate that lather you are looking for.

I hope this information can be of some kind of assistance and that you all have many wonderful shaves! 
Also, if anyone would like to send me a sample of their water from wherever they live for me to experiment with, I would be more than happy to accept it. Shy

The photos are from left to right and proceed downwards and, please, forgive the poor quality of the images as lighting is not very good in the bathroom and taking pics with one hand is more difficult than you can imagine with a large camera set to 'auto-focus'! Biggrin

[Image: jqBBTFRl.jpg][Image: 4UopZ5cl.jpg]

[Image: B2Ga995l.jpg][Image: HNpanonl.jpg]

[Image: tahcyF2l.jpg][Image: rEZYcoPl.jpg]

[Image: 4GT7qXHl.jpg][Image: two16Rxl.jpg]

83 21,113
 10-08-2015, 08:04 PM
User Info
Wow. He sent you water to test lather. Nice results I must say.

13 947
 10-08-2015, 08:18 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
So that's my trouble, I'm not using Kentucky creek water! Nice demonstration, Celestino. I want to see those brushes in your SOTD photos!

38 5,198
 10-08-2015, 08:21 PM
User Info
Thank you, gentlemen!

Richard, I guess you haven't been perusing the SOTD thread as the Omega #48 has been featured a few times. Biggrin 

Hobbyist, I have had water sent from Surrey, England and Phoenix, Arizona! I'll gladly accept water from anywhere in the world as long as it is potable.  Biggrin

83 21,113
 10-08-2015, 08:25 PM
User Info
(10-08-2015, 08:21 PM)celestino Wrote: Thank you, gentlemen!

Richard, I guess you haven't been perusing the SOTD thread as the Omega #48 has been featured a few times. Biggrin 

Hobbyist, I have had water sent from Surrey, England and Phoenix, Arizona! I'll gladly accept water from anywhere in the world as long as it is potable. Shy

That's pretty neat actually.

13 947
 10-08-2015, 08:43 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Kentucky water is great for transporting bone building minerals to Thoroughbreds and Saddlebreds. During my one, delightfull visit I drank a lot of bourbon and ordered grits with breakfast. I took some showers but the rest is a bourbon induced haze of William Shatner trying to place my face , which I shaved daily in blissfull ignorance of water issues.
This was a fun post. I would love some Canadian water, retrieved from the rosegardens of nearby Victoria before the mist burns off. I could reciprocate with
water from fellow Canadian Pam Anderson or Bill Shatner's places ( I was the guy on the bloodbay Morgan who gathered up the runaway Saddlebred that dumped you in the lemon orchard. No, I wont tell anybody).

2 3,171
 10-08-2015, 09:39 PM
User Info
Nicely done Celestino! Each lather appears to have come together beautifully.

75 2,320
 10-08-2015, 09:46 PM
User Info
(10-08-2015, 09:39 PM)merkur man Wrote: Nicely done Celestino! Each lather appears to have come together beautifully.

Thank you, Nathan, and it was a fun experiment to conduct and I hope I get a few more opportunities to sample some more water from somewhere else. Shy

83 21,113
 10-08-2015, 09:46 PM
User Info
Well now I know I can't blame the water!  Need more MW practice with my badgers and boars!

11 972
 10-08-2015, 10:38 PM
User Info
Another experiment well performed, my friend.
I sent Celestino the water from Surrey, England and had my blaming of hard water for failure, immediately dismissed. Now, I have no issues lathering Michelle's soaps, whatsoever.
I highly support the use of a synthetic brush, if only to realise the full potential of MW soaps. Practice with badger brushes will yield the same results. Using enough product is the key, here, irrespective of the method used for lathering.

32 5,293
 10-09-2015, 12:10 AM
User Info
Very Nice Lather! I could never get mystic water to work so I don't bother with it. I don't have the strength to lather to long. Im impatient and therefore I face lather and usually done with lathering with in 45 seconds. Beautiful Lather though Celestino. I would love to experience the shave with that lather. Would go nice with a SR.

46 1,102
 10-09-2015, 01:11 AM
User Info
(10-09-2015, 12:10 AM)Ellas318 Wrote: Very Nice Lather! I could never get mystic water to work so I don't bother with it. I don't have the strength to lather to long. Im impatient and therefore I face lather and usually done with lathering with in 45 seconds. Beautiful Lather though Celestino. I would love to experience the shave with that lather. Would go nice with a SR.

You can experience it my friend! You ought to try The Celestino Method. Get a shave stick or just rub the puck on your face. This is the easiest way to experience the magic of Mystic Waters. Just get enough soap residue in your face and you won't fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75 2,320
 10-09-2015, 04:30 AM
User Info
Very nice write up and pictures Celestino. I had no doubts you'd be able to lather up using my water. After all, even a  layman such as myself was able to figure it out with a bit of practice and playing around. 

I hope your experiments help encourage those who had issues with MW, or those who have hesitated due to the horror stories, to give it an honest shot and make an effort to figure it out. The results really are worth the extra effort it may take some people to find the correct technique.  I don't find it any more difficult to lather or take longer than any other soaps to develop, it is just a little less tolerant for those who like to use wet brushes or rush the addition of water.

10 407
 10-09-2015, 05:11 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(10-08-2015, 09:46 PM)celestino Wrote:
(10-08-2015, 09:39 PM)merkur man Wrote: Nicely done Celestino! Each lather appears to have come together beautifully.

Thank you, Nathan, and it was a fun experiment to conduct and I hope I get a few more opportunities to sample some more water from somewhere else. Shy
Well done my friend- great experiment. I will happily send you some genuine, Limited Edition, Austin city water to try as well.

Shoot me a PM with your shipping info and I will get it out.

2 1,180
 10-09-2015, 06:22 AM
User Info
Not a surprise that you were successful. No one has more experience with MW than our friend Celestino.  Biggrin

39 3,952
 10-09-2015, 06:27 AM
User Info
Thank you, all, gentlemen for the kind words. Shy

83 21,113
 10-09-2015, 06:41 AM
User Info
Nice.  

Gorgeous lather, too.  Love it.

2 1,552
 10-09-2015, 07:06 AM
User Info
Thanks for the thread.

I saw this done with MWF and they had identical results with both.  I wonder if you could try a lather experiment with hot vs cold water?  Maybe that is the culprit behind some lather struggles.

5 229
 10-09-2015, 07:56 AM
User Info
(10-09-2015, 07:06 AM)jarick Wrote: Thanks for the thread.
I saw this done with MWF and they had identical results with both.  I wonder if you could try a lather experiment with hot vs cold water?  Maybe that is the culprit behind some lather struggles.

I don't believe hot water to be the main culprit as all you need to remedy that is more work with the lather. Granted, I don't think hot water would assist or facilitate lathering with most soaps, but I still firmly believe it is not loading enough soap and not working it long enough.
Having said this, I do agree that hot water might be an additional aggravation for some folks who are having issues with this soap.

83 21,113
 10-09-2015, 08:15 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Interesting experiment and results. Have you tried adding a bit of citric acid/concentrated lemon juice to the hard water to see if that makes an improvement?

Bob

0 1,694