10-08-2015, 09:54 PM
User Info
I was just wondering if anyone could describe the scent for me and whether or not it would be a good match to Fine American Blend. If you have experience with both products, your input would be much appreciated!

46 1,102
 10-08-2015, 09:59 PM
User Info
I own both and yes it is a good match but the Strop smells much better imo. It is a powdery type smell and the best barbershop scent I have tried but that isn't many. The performance of Strop is as good as any soap I've tried too.

13 947
 10-08-2015, 10:14 PM
User Info
(10-08-2015, 09:59 PM)Hobbyist Wrote: I own both and yes it is a good match but the Strop smells much better imo. It is a powdery type smell and the best barbershop scent I have tried but that isn't many. The performance of Strop is as good as any soap I've tried too.

Great info, thank you! I needed to hear that because I am really wanting to try the Strop Shoppe Barbershoppe Soap.

46 1,102
 10-09-2015, 12:16 AM
User Info
I have it and I love it. Not even going to attempt to describe the scent but it's nice. You know you can buy a sample of it before the tub right?

3 1,356
 10-09-2015, 12:23 AM
User Info
(10-09-2015, 12:16 AM)Otis375 Wrote: I have it and I love it. Not even going to attempt to describe the scent but it's nice. You know you can buy a sample of it before the tub right?

I know but I never been a sample kinda guy. I just gamble on everything I buy. I don't like to have to re-buy, wait on shipping and pay shipping again.. I try to figure out what I think I would really like and just buy the full versions. 

Right now I am having difficulty deciding whether I should buy SS Barbershoppe with Fine American Blend or b&m Lavanille and Lavanille a/s. I can also pair up Fine AB with Seville but i've had seville and sold it and feel like an idiot rebuying it. These are the type of things that go through my head whenever I try to make an order and in the end I just buy everything and spend a ton of money and end up selling off new products here on bst because I over buy and cant deal with overload. 

Life as a wet shaver.. Times used to be simpler, or so I hear..

46 1,102
 10-09-2015, 03:28 AM
User Info
I've used it. It's in the same exact family as Maggard's London Barbershop and Mike's Barbershop. If you like those and want more of the same, the SS is a good choice.

15 1,018
 10-09-2015, 07:31 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have yet to try the Barbershop from SS, and considering that I have a love/hate relationship with "barbershop" scents I may not ever.  However, Strop Shoppe Special Edition with tallow and lanolin is my favorite artisan soap so I would highly recommend giving them a try if you like: easy to lather, excellent slickness and protection, excellent moderately-strong fragrance level and very conditioning post shave feel.

139 2,677
 10-09-2015, 07:41 AM
User Info
Great soap - I was actually pif'd SS Barbershop and can't imagine why (to each his own).  Nice compliment to Fine American Blend.

52 1,175
 10-09-2015, 08:10 AM
User Info
If you've ever tried Mike's Natural Barbershop the scents are basically identical IMO.  I actually combined my Strop Shoppe with my Mike's when I hit the ring of death in my tub.  One of my favorite scents personally.

83 423
 10-09-2015, 08:19 AM
User Info
If you're looking for a match for the Fine AB then check out IB's L'Americano soap. Perfect match. It's a good performer but the Strope Shoppe performs better.

147 3,462
 10-09-2015, 09:57 AM
User Info
Seville and strop shoppe barbershop don't even smell similar. Truth be told I didn't know Seville was a barbershop scent.

I've heard good things about the stirling barbershop as well as chiseld face ghost town barber. Never tried stirling but I have tried chiseld face. Good performance for the money.

3 1,356
 10-09-2015, 04:29 PM
User Info
Yes, Seville is a whole different animal in barbershop scents, but I did enjoy it. However I doubt I will re buy it since I sold off a pretty much new tub a while back. Makes no sense in my head to re buy something I barely used when I had it. 

I do like Mikes Barbershop but never finished off a tin of it. Typically barbershop scented soaps do not last long in my den of soaps. But they are nice in the beginning.. But Fine AB is something I really want so I feel the need to have a soap to match with it.

46 1,102
 10-09-2015, 04:40 PM
User Info
Well I got la cigale savon barbe from phil just now and I will use that with the Fine AB. Pretty much a very lightly scented soap that should go with anything. And I like to try out new soaps that don't cost much!

46 1,102
 10-09-2015, 05:50 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I've have Seville and Latha, both of which are purported to be reminiscent of "barbershop." I see where Will is coming from, but while I use and enjoy both labels, neither stimulates my olfactic memory in that way. Now, when seeking barbershop I simply splash on a bit of Pinaud Clubman. To me, that's barbershop!

4 1,925
 10-09-2015, 08:40 PM
User Info
I just came across a company called first canadian shave soap that sounds like really good stuff. I may have to order up their Barbershop scented soap. Anyone try it?

46 1,102
 10-09-2015, 08:51 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
You are really missing out if you don't try Strop Shoppe Barbershop. You can't ask for a better performing soap, and it's one of the better barbershop scents.

38 5,032
 10-09-2015, 08:56 PM
User Info
(10-09-2015, 08:51 PM)evnpar Wrote: You are really missing out if you don't try Strop Shoppe Barbershop. You can't ask for a better performing soap, and it's one of the better barbershop scents.

I agree, for the heck of it I made a super lather of Chiseled Face cryogen and strop shoppe barbershop. Since cryogen is scent less and is way too cold by itself it made a nice lather with the strop shoppe,again it's scent less just menthol it paired nicely with the SS barbershop.

Aother good SS scent is Austin it is as pold blue in a soap

3 1,356
 10-09-2015, 09:10 PM
User Info
(10-09-2015, 08:40 PM)Ellas318 Wrote: I just came across a company called first canadian shave soap that sounds like really good stuff. I may have to order up their Barbershop scented soap. Anyone try it?

I have not but that is a new soap that I hear all good things about. Check out TSE's youtube reviews of it. It seems to be one of his new favorites.

My favorite scent right now and maybe even my favorite soap is Tim's Soap Clean Cut. I can't get enough of that soap since buying it. I am shaving with it at least 4 days a week out of 5 to 6 days shaving and this has been the case since buying it a few weeks ago. It isn't really a barbershop scent but read his description below. 
  • Clean Cut – I wanted a barbershop scent for the line. This isn’t it. It certainly includes classic barbershop notes – lavender and coumarin – but the balance of the scent is a slightly sweet, green accord of bay laurel, fir needle, and switchgrass that moves the fragrance in an agrestic direction. I suppose if someone set up a barbershop on the back porch of my grandparents’ farmhouse, it might smell something like this. And since my grandpa is just about the cleanest-cut guy I know, I guess that’s fitting.

13 947
 10-09-2015, 11:08 PM
User Info
You guys are making me really want to get the barbershoppe and another strop shoppe soap now. Decisions, Decisions!!

46 1,102
 10-09-2015, 11:55 PM
User Info
Get the strop shoppe! Like I said Austin smells exactly like Polo blue and baker street is cologney as well. The barbershop is kind of cologney as well but I like it.

Smells clean and the lather man that lather ,on the strop shoppe I put more water than I do with my other soaps. It will hold a lot of water and get really slick without breaking down. I don't know which is more thirsty Seville or barbershop by strop shoppe but they are definitely my most used scents  

Matter of fact the mrs and I are laying here watching t.v. and she keeps smelling my face asking what soap I used. Usually she tells me how my soaps stink but she loves strop shoppe.

3 1,356