10-09-2015, 11:18 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(Assume the usual disclaimer about YMMV; blade preferences inherently are subjective; yada, yada, here.)

Not to denigrate the concept of blade sampler packs, but what interests me is what blades with which you have substantial experience — that is, a minimum of 30 shaves of the same brand — just missed the cut (no pun intended) when you came to the conclusion that a specific other blade was the best blade for you.

When I began the DE experiment, I purchased 25 Gillette Silver Blue blades and 20 Wizamet Iridium Super blades, and pretty much alternated between those two types of blades until a winner emerged.  Getting about five to six shaves per blade, I think I had used up about a dozen of each brand before I was confident that I preferred the Iridium Super blades to the GSBs.  Up to that point, I really could not put any space between them.  Thus, I had no regrets when I used my last GSB. 

It took fewer shaves to determine that KAI blades were more superior to the Wizamet Iridium Super blades (for me) than the GSBs were inferior to the Wizamet Iridium super blades; and it took fewer shaves to determine that SuperMax Platinum Plus blades were more inferior to the GSBs than the GSBs were inferior to the Wizamet Iridium Super blades.  So I do not envision ever buying more SuperMax Platinum Plus blades or GSBs; but I am not yet ready to swear that there never will be another Wizamet Iridium Super in my future.  

The last may come, though:  before I empty the cabinet of all blades that are not KAI, I have given Rapira Swedish SuperSteel blades a whirl, and — provisionally, after 30 shaves — they are right up there with the Wizamet Iridium Super blades (at a considerable price savings), and (therefore) a step above the GSBs.  I plan to alternate my current stock of five more Rapira SSS blades with my remaining stock of Wizamet Iridium Super blades to lock down what is the best non-KAI blade that I may keep a few of in the cabinet to use as a “control” or to send ahead by mail to our son’s home in California or my sister-in-law’s home in Kamakura when we are planning to go there with only carry-on luggage.

So what are your next-best DE blades?

0 1,048
 10-09-2015, 11:40 AM
User Info
Astra SP for me. I think Gillette SB would be a tie but I've only used a 5 pack of them since I only buy 5 or 10 pks to test a blade. I can't really tell a difference between those two. I have used about 10 Feather blades and those would be 2nd but the Astra is better all around because I can use them in my R41 and my DE89, and probably my Ikon 101 but have only use Kai with it so far. A blade has to match Astra SP performance or I will not buy them again, and I got tired of trying blades so stuck to Astra SP until trying Kai of course. Feather is an exception and I only use them in my DE89 but like them better than Astra lately in that particular razor. 

Everybody has different skin and therefore some individuals may be able to get away with several different blades and only be concerned about efficiency. For me, having sensitive skin I cannot get away with much testing without getting irritation. I watch shave videos sometimes and notice a lot of them can test every blade and razor on the market without fear of irritation. I'm not that way, and therefore have to be careful with the hardware I select. But as long as I stick with hardware that works for my skin I have smooth shaves.

13 947
 10-09-2015, 01:55 PM
User Info
Gillette Silver Blues / Gillette Yellows are tied for second place.

The Wizamet Super Iridiums are still my preferred blade, but I have yet to try the Kai blades. Biggrin

82 21,056
 10-09-2015, 02:01 PM
User Info
(10-09-2015, 01:55 PM)celestino Wrote: Gillette Silver Blues / Gillette Yellows are tied for second place.

The Wizamet Super Iridiums are still my preferred blade, but I have yet to try the Kai blades. Biggrin

Are yellows similar to silver blues?

13 947
 10-09-2015, 02:52 PM
User Info
It's hard to choose only one, all of them be in my rotation.

Gillette 7 o'Clock SharpEdge is a very nice blade. 

Personna Med

Polsilver Super Iridium 

Gillette Blue Silver.

Lorenzo.

29 1,084
 10-09-2015, 03:08 PM
User Info
(10-09-2015, 02:01 PM)Hobbyist Wrote:
(10-09-2015, 01:55 PM)celestino Wrote: Gillette Silver Blues / Gillette Yellows are tied for second place.

Are yellows similar to silver blues?

To me the yellows black and blues are all around the same sharpness now the blacks are the sharpest but it'd be hard to tell what's what for me in a blind test. For me the yellows are not in the samw league as the others as far as smoothness goes

3 1,356
 10-10-2015, 09:50 AM
User Info
gsb or yellow would be my second blade (i think lol)

16 660
 10-10-2015, 10:11 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Super Iridium/Polsilver in all incarnations are my primary blade by default of having a 12 year supply. A want a smaller, but substantive stash of Kais.
But after trying most everything else my second string would be one of the other Russian blades available in different configurations. They reflect typical Russian product; simple and robust, not the very finest in performance but for every tiger tank 12 T34s that get the job done.

2 3,171
 10-10-2015, 10:18 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
My second favourite blade is the Gillette Platinum "Swede", I have 5 packages left. Unfortunately, it's discontinued.
My third is the Personna 74, I have also 7 packages left.

By the way, my all- time favourite blade is the Astra Superior Platinum. The perfect blade for me. I use it with almost every razor I have.

49 1,938
 10-11-2015, 03:03 PM
User Info
I would strongly consider trying the Personna Reds (or Israeli Reds). To my face these are not only very sharp (a tiny step down from a Feather) but smoother than any other blade I've tried. Add to this I get 4 shaves out of each- it's a win!

1 27
 10-12-2015, 04:13 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
I have a number tied for 2nd place. Most recently, have been enjoying the Gillette Nacet SS blades.

Sharp, smooth and have decent longevity.

2 1,180
 10-13-2015, 02:12 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
2nd place for me is the vintage Wilkinson LB, closely followed by other vintage blades,Gillette Platinum Plus, Schick Plus Platinum, and Personna Super Stainless.

7 2,279
 10-13-2015, 02:35 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(10-10-2015, 10:11 AM)kav Wrote: But after trying most everything else my second string would be one of the other Russian blades available in different configurations. They reflect typical Russian product; simple and robust, not the very finest in performance but for every tiger tank 12 T34s that get the job done.

Perfectly understandable (see link).  

After apparently having received some counterfeit Gillette Platinum blades from an Amazon seller, this week, I received some apparently genuine Gillette Platinums from another source — the appearance of the blades themselves is very different from that of the putative counterfeits:  cleaner, crisper printing on the blade, and the wax dots are precisely centered, rather than grossly off-center in both dimensions.  I never tried any blades of the first shipment (returned them to Amazon for a refund), and I look forward to seeing if the Russian Gillette Platinums, reputedly the same as the fabled “Swedes” but in newer packaging, are superior to the Wizamet Iridium Supers which are the best PPI blades that I have used to date.

0 1,048
 10-13-2015, 10:17 PM
User Info
I don't really have a second best blade. I have those that made the cut and those that didn't and are forgotten. Pass or fail. Most failed.

32 6,445
 10-13-2015, 11:13 PM
User Info
An interesting question ...
While my all-time favourite is the vintage London Bridge (of which I don't have many left, most unfortunately), my favourite contemporary, readily available blade would be the Astra Superior Platinum, which gives very good/excellent shaves in all of my razors.
Keeping the above in mind, my second best blade would be the contemporary yellow Feather. The shaves it offers are fantastic, pleasantly aggressive and very precise, not to mention smooth as silk. So why is it second? Well, it only works in my R41 (2013 and 2011) heads - if I put it in any other razor, it becomes dullish and irritating. Huh

0 60
 10-30-2015, 04:30 PM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
My favourite blade would be a Feather and one that REALLY grew on me was the Astra SS...I think that is my new second.

...I hear so much about the Astra SP, but no matter how much I want to love those blades, they just don't do it for me. YMMV I guess.

0 356
 10-30-2015, 04:41 PM
User Info
Solid second for me, Med Preps.

61 3,796
 11-16-2015, 02:29 PM
User Info
Right now, the second best blade for me is Gillette Platinum, which I find a little less sharp and a little less smooth than my Tier 1 blades (4 of them that I interchange depending on my mood when I load my razor) - in no particular order - Polsilver SI, Perma-Sharp Super, Gillette Nacet, Feather.

10 96
 11-16-2015, 06:19 PM
User Info
Personna Blue

6 52
 02-13-2016, 10:35 PM
User Info
The Feather blade.

1 398