10-10-2015, 09:50 PM
  • MHWood
  • Artisan Brush Maker
  • Illinois
User Info
I was just taking my midterm for my one and only online class I'm taking this semester.  I wanted to try one to help cut down on all the days I had to drive to the campus.  Well halfway through I click onto the next question and it crashes! The stupid site that they use crashes on me midway through the 1 of 2 major exams I have for this class. I tried to get back into the exam but it submitted it for grading and of course I got an F......  Extremely disappointed right now with how their site is performing. I emailed my professor with a screenshot of the error message, so I'm hoping that she's able to do something for me. I just needed to vent because its 1am here and no one is up for me to vent to in person! Angry

3 291
 10-10-2015, 09:53 PM
User Info
Surely they will let you retake it. Trust me I've about sent my phone and tablet through a window on more than a few occasions. My wife laughs and tells people that she knows the internet down whenever she hears a certain explicit phrase...

3 1,356
 10-10-2015, 09:56 PM
  • MHWood
  • Artisan Brush Maker
  • Illinois
User Info
(10-10-2015, 09:53 PM)Otis375 Wrote: Surely they will let you retake it. Trust me I've about sent my phone and tablet through a window on more than a few occasions. My wife laughs and tells people that she knows the internet down whenever she hears a certain explicit phrase...

I am really hoping so! I don't think it was my Wifi that went down because my other windows that were up (helping search for answers on google Eusa_whistle ) were working fine.

3 291
 10-10-2015, 10:11 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
That is frustrating. Wouldn't the site have crashed for everyone taking the exam? It is a little hard to relate, since I had to use a slide rule when I was in college, as personal calculators weren't yet available. I hope everything works out well.

38 5,631
 10-10-2015, 10:20 PM
  • MHWood
  • Artisan Brush Maker
  • Illinois
User Info
(10-10-2015, 10:11 PM)evnpar Wrote: That is frustrating. Wouldn't the site have crashed for everyone taking the exam? It is a little hard to relate, since I had to use a slide rule when I was in college, as personal calculators weren't yet available. I hope everything works out well.

The way this online class runs is every week we have something new to do and it is due by that Sunday at 11:59am. So everyone can be taking the exam at a different time throughout the week. I guess I was the lucky one and started it right when it went down. Fingers crossed she sees the email before 11:59am tomorrow and is able to get me back in to take it.

3 291
 10-11-2015, 05:39 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(10-10-2015, 10:11 PM)evnpar Wrote: That is frustrating. Wouldn't the site have crashed for everyone taking the exam? It is a little hard to relate, since I had to use a slide rule when I was in college, as personal calculators weren't yet available. I hope everything works out well.

I still have my original slide rule and all of my old drafting tools from high school and college.  I have fun pulling them out in front of the grandkids.  I took a college correspondent course many, many years ago but we did everything through actual books and used the US Postal system to receive and mail test.  Immediate questions were handled through an actual phone call made over a landline.

Oh I miss the good old days.

180 24,995
 10-11-2015, 07:40 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
[Image: 7Sh4cCO.gif]

The internet is one of those pivotal technologies that is changing us as much as fire. I am enough Luddite to shun it all for a majority of my consciousness. But where to shun anymore? I was walking to my medical appointment last week. It is a 60 minute walk at a military pace each way. I figure I need exercise, money is tight even for our farcical public transport and even in an urban setting  see nature pushing back. I've learned to dodge semiconscious drivers in Dodges, wannabee Lance Armstrongs on bicycles and even this weirdo in a micro speedo going around town IN TRAFFIC on a motorized skateboard.
So, I'm 45 minutes into my walk, sweating, my dispatch bag heavy with water and medications. I see this woman bearing down on me with all the sentience of an iceberg; some Borg thingy called 'bluetooth' in her ear,waving arms and talking to an unseen
entity. We used to take these people into protective custody for 72 hours and run drug tests. I stop in my tracks, to winded to even yell. She manages to blunder  right into me and looks like Eve becoming self aware in that Cecil B. Demille Bible epic. She mumbles some half excuse while looking inconvenienced, goosesteps onward and almost gets hit by a car walking against the red.
Embrace the inconvenience of a realtime classroom with an instructor and students. Just brace yourself for the cellphones ringing nonstop.

2 3,171
 10-11-2015, 10:13 AM
User Info
(10-10-2015, 09:56 PM)MHWood Wrote:
(10-10-2015, 09:53 PM)Otis375 Wrote: Surely they will let you retake it. Trust me I've about sent my phone and tablet through a window on more than a few occasions. My wife laughs and tells people that she knows the internet down whenever she hears a certain explicit phrase...

I am really hoping so! I don't think it was my Wifi that went down because my other windows that were up (helping search for answers on google Eusa_whistle ) were working fine.

I had the same thing happen . I actually called my Internet provider because I was having to restart my modem all the time. I told them that they had already sent a tech out here who happened to go to high school with me and he wanted to talk and not fix my internet. I said if it couldn't be fixed then I'm going back to directv for my t.v. and att for my internet. Well after I told him that he said oh it seems your modem is a bad one and we are phasing those out. 

HE said for 35 dollars I'll overnight it to you and I didn't miss a beat. I said att never charged me for shipping, well got my modem overnighter to me at no charge and it fixed my Internet is she mostly.

I think xfinity WiFi just freezes and crashes randomly,and there's nothing they can do about it.

3 1,356
 10-11-2015, 02:22 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(10-11-2015, 07:40 AM)kav Wrote: [Image: 7Sh4cCO.gif]

The internet is one of those pivotal technologies that is changing us as much as fire. I am enough Luddite to shun it all for a majority of my consciousness. But where to shun anymore? I was walking to my medical appointment last week. It is a 60 minute walk at a military pace each way. I figure I need exercise, money is tight even for our farcical public transport and even in an urban setting  see nature pushing back. I've learned to dodge semiconscious drivers in Dodges, wannabee Lance Armstrongs on bicycles and even this weirdo in a micro speedo going around town IN TRAFFIC on a motorized skateboard.
So, I'm 45 minutes into my walk, sweating, my dispatch bag heavy with water and medications. I see this woman bearing down on me with all the sentience of an iceberg; some Borg thingy called 'bluetooth' in her ear,waving arms and talking to an unseen
entity. We used to take these people into protective custody for 72 hours and run drug tests. I stop in my tracks, to winded to even yell. She manages to blunder  right into me and looks like Eve becoming self aware in that Cecil B. Demille Bible epic. She mumbles some half excuse while looking inconvenienced, goosesteps onward and almost gets hit by a car walking against the red.
Embrace the inconvenience of a realtime classroom with an instructor and students. Just brace yourself for the cellphones ringing nonstop.

You are right that computer tech is one of those life game changers and the one thing in the last 50 years that has changed life the most. But its not the comp tech in itself that's the problem its the way its magic is utilized in archaic social, political and economic modes that make it appear crazy. The government of Estonia seems able to run its national government  completely via computers. So why can't Americans vote on national and state referendums , representatives , national economic decisions via the internet. It would certainly make voting easier and more efficient, increase participation and strengthen, rule by the people, democracy. Well it won't be allowed.The power elite in the economy and political establishment would block it simply because they don't want the American people participating in those decisions , plain and simple. So we do have the tech to do something and solve a problem but our  outmoded social relationships of power , authority, self interest of the minority won't let it really work for the common good.

Similarly America reached post scarcity in the 1950's , we reached a point in which tech all across society had produced a society that could produce more than it needed. So why in 2015 are some short of food, others of clothing, others of housing , others of transportation and poverty is actually increasing ? Because the tremendous tech advancements since then are utilized not in a way to create a sane , peaceful , rational society but actually in a way that conforms to old patterns of economic elite power so that the tremendous magical power of tech creates piles of money for some and a state of  artificial scarcity for many of us.

15 541
 10-11-2015, 05:23 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
The LAST thing I want is an unverified, private corporation run and UNACCOUNTABLE voting system that has already been used to disenfranchise voters. I was one of all 6 registered green party members in my district supporting Nader. My family are longtime Irish revolutionaries and a San Patricio established the California branch so I embrace hopeless causes. Election results are published and they list ZERO for us. I  have my paper stub and demand to know where our 6  provable votes went. A week later, a few thousand dollars for a recount and a published correction showed 19 votes for Ralph.
My district tried to contract a computer system recently. They had a public interest hearing in a ridiculous time slot for anyone to attend. I did. They saw me walk in and quickly voted to remain with paper ballets. I am proud I protected the voting integrity for ALL political persuasions.
Back on thread; I know online classrooms are a godsend for remote communities. We just need to remember this is to EXPEDITE our activities, not turn us into technology's reverse engineered app.

2 3,171
 10-11-2015, 05:52 PM
  • MHWood
  • Artisan Brush Maker
  • Illinois
User Info
(10-11-2015, 05:23 PM)kav Wrote: The LAST thing I want is an unverified, private corporation run and UNACCOUNTABLE voting system that has already been used to disenfranchise voters. I was one of all 6 registered green party members in my district supporting Nader. My family are longtime Irish revolutionaries and a San Patricio established the California branch so I embrace hopeless causes. Election results are published and they list ZERO for us. I  have my paper stub and demand to know where our 6  provable votes went. A week later, a few thousand dollars for a recount and a published correction showed 19 votes for Ralph.
My district tried to contract a computer system recently. They had a public interest hearing in a ridiculous time slot for anyone to attend. I did. They saw me walk in and quickly voted to remain with paper ballets. I am proud I protected the voting integrity for ALL political persuasions.
Back on thread; I know online classrooms are a godsend for remote communities. We just need to remember this is to EXPEDITE our activities, not turn us into technology's reverse engineered app.

Trust me I'd rather be taking this class in person, but if I was I'd be driving 45-60 minutes each way Monday-Friday. By taking the online I'm able to shorten that down to only Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. There's always positives and negatives with new way of conducting business and schooling with computers and technology. Like online books are a great money saver for me this semester. It brought down my total just for this semester from $950 to $400. You can't beat that!

3 291
 10-11-2015, 06:00 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
College textbooks- the ultimate financial ripoff perpetrated by tenured profs Angry

2 3,171
 10-11-2015, 06:02 PM
  • MHWood
  • Artisan Brush Maker
  • Illinois
User Info
(10-11-2015, 06:00 PM)kav Wrote: College textbooks- the ultimate financial ripoff perpetrated by tenured profs Angry

I couldn't agree more! Also parking fines at my college. I paid $95 for a parking pass and parked 1 spot over into the "faculty" parking... got slapped with a $50 fine.

3 291
 10-11-2015, 06:33 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(10-11-2015, 05:23 PM)kav Wrote: The LAST thing I want is an unverified, private corporation run and UNACCOUNTABLE voting system that has already been used to disenfranchise voters. I was one of all 6 registered green party members in my district supporting Nader. My family are longtime Irish revolutionaries and a San Patricio established the California branch so I embrace hopeless causes. Election results are published and they list ZERO for us. I  have my paper stub and demand to know where our 6  provable votes went. A week later, a few thousand dollars for a recount and a published correction showed 19 votes for Ralph.

I read a story whereby during WW2 the President had the heads of the automobile companies at the White House and the President said " Gentleman , you are now not in the car making business but the Tank making business! But Mr. President that's IMPOSSIBLE, no way can we do that the auto chiefs said! But in the end they made tanks. It was a way that corporations served the government agenda not like today the other way round.

Corporations rule the world and their consciousness rules ours so much that we can't think  outside their power . Which is why its easy to see how voting via computers  would be a simple tech fixes that would improve our society  but it runs up against vested power and we are turned away from a solution to  maintain the status quo that maintains the one party corporate state.

Voting via the web won't be instituted because of problems of unaccountability or technological barriers but because of vested interest that want to keep power themselves and don't want any easy way for greater political participation by me or you .

Excuses to maintain profitability and economic power will always be found and we are so programmed we always cave. When large swathes of the population agitated for a National Health Care System like Canada's or Britain's we were told" can't be done, too expensive." A year later we launched the Iraq and Afghan invasions, the cost estimated to be $3 Trillion now that we  are told " we can afford".

What with all the facts presented to the American public and intelligent and honest public debate from a wide range of opinion surveyed in prime time on tv and public voting via the web on the" Referendum to go to War "being voted on March 8th at 9pm , what if ?

15 541
 10-11-2015, 07:15 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Well, I think we better vote to let this fascinating discussion remain just that. I was just called a 'godless, communist, antigun, prochoice baby killing homosexual' on Yahoo comments. Gee! All I posted was my  preferred POTUS candidate ( with reservations) and some guy deciphered all that from a 9 word sentence Doubt

2 3,171
 10-11-2015, 07:17 PM
  • MHWood
  • Artisan Brush Maker
  • Illinois
User Info
(10-11-2015, 07:15 PM)kav Wrote: Well, I think we better vote to let this fascinating discussion remain just that. I was just called a 'godless, communist, antigun, prochoice baby killing homosexual' on Yahoo comments. Gee! All I posted was my  preferred POTUS candidate ( with reservations) and some guy deciphered all that from a 9 word sentence Doubt

3 291
 10-11-2015, 08:24 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(10-11-2015, 07:15 PM)kav Wrote: Well, I think we better vote to let this fascinating discussion remain just that. I was just called a 'godless, communist, antigun, prochoice baby killing homosexual' on Yahoo comments. Gee! All I posted was my  preferred POTUS candidate ( with reservations) and some guy deciphered all that from a 9 word sentence Doubt

I think you are right , discussion ended ,before there's anger. Our fellow Americans are apparently all armed and I'd hate to get you shot , you are a great voice here. Me , I run fast .

15 541