10-11-2015, 10:41 AM
User Info
Title says it. My son got on the I want a puppy kick. Him being 11 I told him to go outside and pet the dog we already have lol. Well that turned into my 2 year year old running around saying doggie and now the wife...Anyway so now I'm looking for a puppy. Wife wants something small that can go inside and outside. Specifically a dachsund

I'm in the camp that if it's smaller than a football it's not a dog,but my opinions mean nothing when it comes to my wife and daughter. So here's my criteria for a puppy if you have suggestions on a breed please let me know.

Has to be good with kids, I'm a believer in dogs behave how you raise them but still this one is going to be for my kids. It doesn't haft to be a small breed but again it's for my daughter. Needs to be social as I already have one dog and a cat.

My wife wants a dachsund,but I've been looking at the Belgian malinois. I would get her a lab,but my yellow lab I had for 16 years died over the summer and I don't want another one right now.

Needs to be short hair too. I don't like animals in the house,but I'm fighting a losing battle here,no at least I'll say a short hair so I'm not fighting a war with pet hair.

3 1,356
 10-11-2015, 11:13 AM
User Info
I have a couple rescue chihuahuas (from the spca) and I would not let them anywhere near children.  Great tiny dogs, but mine are not overly tolerant of children and do bite.

Why not go to the local SPCA and adopt somebody that needs a home and some love?

18 586
 10-11-2015, 11:13 AM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
Get a Boston Terrier. I have two of them they are great family dogs. They are full of energy and personality. We have a 5 week old daughter and my one dog Otto won't leave her side. 
They both love to cuddle and will sneak their way under the blankets in bed if you let them. It's very cool. They are short hair and your looking in the 12- 22 lb range. Mine are big enough that you can do a short run with them and they will keep pace without much effort. 

[Image: QK4hJaP.jpg]
This is how I was sitting when I found this post. Otto will do this whenever you let him.

I think they are a great looking dog too! This one is Zoey.

[Image: lxlQKX8.jpg]
Good luck with your search !

28 1,622
 10-11-2015, 11:57 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
We're pretty content with our Goldendoodle.
We lost out 12 year old black lab several years ago so I hear you clearly about not wanting another lab.
Goldendoodles are not short hair, but they don't shed.  Ours is full size, but they also can be toy or even miniature.

Ours loves people and he's ALWAYS happy.  Never saw such a care free animal.  He just makes us laugh!

[Image: 6vAumLY.jpg]

[Image: 4Fuy7qI.jpg]

59 1,599
 10-11-2015, 12:07 PM
User Info
(10-11-2015, 10:41 AM)Otis375 Wrote: Title says it. My son got on the I want a puppy kick. Him being 11 I told him to go outside and pet the dog we already have lol. Well that turned into my 2 year year old running around saying doggie and now the wife...Anyway so now I'm looking for a puppy. Wife wants something small that can go inside and outside. Specifically a dachsund

I'm in the camp that if it's smaller than a football it's not a dog,but my opinions mean nothing when it comes to my wife and daughter. So here's my criteria for a puppy if you have suggestions on a breed please let me know.

Has to be good with kids, I'm a believer in dogs behave how you raise them but still this one is going to be for my kids. It doesn't haft to be a small breed but again it's for my daughter. Needs to be social as I already have one dog and a cat.

My wife wants a dachsund,but I've been looking at the Belgian malinois. I would get her a lab,but my yellow lab I had for 16 years died over the summer and I don't want another one right now.

Needs to be short hair too. I don't like animals in the house,but I'm fighting a losing battle here,no at least I'll say a short hair so I'm not fighting a war with pet hair.

We have two dachshunds, a mini which ways around 12 or 13 pounds and a full size that weights 21 pounds. They are great dogs and we couldn't imagine not having them.

13 947
 10-11-2015, 12:39 PM
User Info
(10-11-2015, 11:13 AM)jamesrobson5 Wrote: Get a Boston Terrier. I have two of them they are great family dogs. They are full of energy and personality. We have a 5 week old daughter and my one dog Otto won't leave her side. 
They both love to cuddle and will sneak their way under the blankets in bed if you let them. It's very cool. They are short hair and your looking in the 12- 22 lb range. Mine are big enough that you can do a short run with them and they will keep pace without much effort. 

This is how I was sitting when I found this post. Otto will do this whenever you let him.

+1 on the Boston Terriers! [Image: 5oUeEif.jpg][Image: Jr5zE5A.jpg]

0 78
 10-11-2015, 12:47 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
(10-11-2015, 12:39 PM)Paul6506 Wrote:
(10-11-2015, 11:13 AM)jamesrobson5 Wrote: Get a Boston Terrier. I have two of them they are great family dogs. They are full of energy and personality. We have a 5 week old daughter and my one dog Otto won't leave her side. 

Lol.... They are great in pairs!!!

28 1,622
 10-11-2015, 12:53 PM
User Info
(10-11-2015, 11:13 AM)PanChango Wrote: I have a couple rescue chihuahuas (from the spca) and I would not let them anywhere near children.  Great tiny dogs, but mine are not overly tolerant of children and do bite.

Why not go to the local SPCA and adopt somebody that needs a home and some love?

I have done that on a few occasions, dogs didn't live long and it tore my son up. I'd rather get a puppy. Our local humane society doesn't have puppies right now anyway . Puppies actually go to a drug treatment center and are raised by inmates .

3 1,356
 10-11-2015, 12:55 PM
User Info
(10-11-2015, 12:47 PM)jamesrobson5 Wrote:
(10-11-2015, 12:39 PM)Paul6506 Wrote:

Lol.... They are great in pairs!!!
Lol in had a Boston terrier when I was a teen he was a good dog.

3 1,356
 10-11-2015, 01:04 PM
User Info
@Max Yea I had a yellow lab,best dog I've ever had ,and I wouldn't hesitate to get another one, I just can't right . Call it what you want but I loved that dog he helped me at a point in my life where I was in a deep dark place and he pulled me out of it. Watch the youtube video of a dog pulling a veteran out a flashback and you'll see what I mean.

@Hobbyist , do you have children? I've had one kennel tell me they are hyper another tell me not so much. Either way they said they are good with kids and pretty smart dogs. These are the minis. I found a belgian milinois but my wife is set on a dachsund.

3 1,356
 10-11-2015, 01:12 PM
User Info
Can't really help you in the lap dog category. Never had the need. I need a partner/backup in a dog.

We've had many rotties and one Cane Corso, all magnificent with children. You had better not trouble "their" children even if they're only visiting. They are more child than dog. If you've ever owned one and bonded with it you know what I mean. Sorry, the keyboard is getting blurry right now. Sorry, I've just buried far too many of them. Now we have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. That breed was known as the Granny dog at the turn of the last century because they were so protective of their children. But all of those breeds I mentioned are larger than a breadbox.

Maybe find a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. They weigh about 30--40 pounds and have the mindset of a much larger dog. That's our next dog. I'm getting too old for big dogs but I love the way they think. SBTs are very compact with a powerful body and a big dog mindset. I think you might like them if you're the kind of man I think you are. Oh, short hair too, so no hair balls everywhere. Their size might make both you and the misses happy as a compromise. Google them to find out their general characteristics. Of course there are individuals that fit the generalities precisely, and others who crowd the extremes. For a more gentle specimen get a female, for something that you'd be happier with get a male. To make him a bit easier to get along with I would no longer spay a male, but see if you can get it's tubes cut. Spaying has too many problems years down the road, and it's been linked to cancer. Don't ask me why, I'm not a Dr. But spaying would be far down on my list of things to do to a dog today; at least for me. Yet they should IMO be neutered before they're 1 year old. Our next dog I'm going to ask about the tubes being cut. I don't know if that would have the same "calming" effect (probably not). Ask your vet.

Good luck in your search.

32 6,458
 10-11-2015, 01:26 PM
User Info
We have a Lhasa Apso, your name is Bob, and He's a great company for us. We really love Bob. We have no children. But it all depends on the temperament of each dog. I really wish you find a wonderful pet for your whole family. Good luck.

[Image: Pgrx92V.jpg]

[Image: dAkKgzf.jpg]

Lorenzo

29 1,084
 10-11-2015, 01:40 PM
User Info
(10-11-2015, 01:12 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Can't really help you in the lap dog category. Never had the need. I need a partner/backup in a dog.

We've had many rotties and one Cane Corso, all magnificent with children. You had better not trouble "their" children even if they're only visiting. They are more child than dog. If you've ever owned one and bonded with it you know what I mean. Sorry, the keyboard is getting blurry right now. Sorry, I've just buried far too many of them. Now we have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. That breed was known as the Granny dog at the turn of the last century because they were so protective of their children. But all of those breeds I mentioned are larger than a breadbox.

Maybe find a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. They weigh about 30--40 pounds and have the mindset of a much larger dog. That's our next dog. I'm getting too old for big dogs but I love the way they think. SBTs are very compact with a powerful body and a big dog mindset. I think you might like them if you're the kind of man I think you are. Oh, short hair too, so no hair balls everywhere. Their size might make both you and the misses happy as a compromise. Google them to find out their general characteristics. Of course there are individuals that fit the generalities precisely, and others who crowd the extremes. For a more gentle specimen get a female, for something that you'd be happier with get a male. To make him a bit easier to get along with I would no longer spay a male, but see if you can get it's tubes cut. Spaying has too many problems years down the road, and it's been linked to cancer. Don't ask me why, I'm not a Dr. But spaying would be far down on my list of things to do to a dog today; at least for me. Yet they should IMO be neutered before they're 1 year old. Our next dog I'm going to ask about the tubes being cut. I don't know if that would have the same "calming" effect (probably not). Ask your vet.

Good luck in your search.
I've got a pit bull as is and he's great with my kids. I don't care for lap dogs either ,that's why I'm looking at the Belgian malinois.  

The staffor shire terrier is actually one of the top breeds with kids.

Wife just is thinking a smaller dog for a smaller child I guess I don't know. Somebody at her job probably got a dachsund and now she wants one.  I wasn't hesitate to get another pit bull type breed though, and Brian we had the discussion before about bulldogs before and you and I are in agreement on our views of bulldogs I bet now that I've mentioned I've got a pit bull with kids I get at least one comment on it but my dog is a big baby.

WE keep him socialized with the neighbors dogs too just in case, I've been told they need constant ccntact with other dogs but I believe that's true with any breed. Anyway I don't want to turn another dog thread into a war over my pit bull thread. 

Just trying to see some dog breeds here. BTW nice to hHar from you Brian it's been awhile.

3 1,356
 10-11-2015, 02:01 PM
User Info
What's your tolerance for shedding? If it's high, then I suggest a Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

39 3,918
 10-11-2015, 02:36 PM
User Info
Primo those are beautiful dogs, I've never seen them before. They look too much like a lab for me though.

3 1,356
 10-11-2015, 02:41 PM
User Info
Got an appointment tomorrow to go to a belgian malinois kennel here in AL! Wife is saying no but agreed to go look. Hope these puppies have their cute faces on and I'm checking the kids out of school too. Hopefully we bring one home!

3 1,356
 10-11-2015, 03:04 PM
User Info
1. Hobbyist is right, as is your wife. You simply cannot go wrong with a dachshund. I've had a few over the years, including some mongrel-dachsund mixes. Lovely, friendly and intelligent dogs; far more intelligent than many human beings I've known.
2. Or maybe a Brabant Griffon. I simply adore mine - great with kids, tremendous heart, and utterly free of aggression.

0 60
 10-11-2015, 03:28 PM
User Info
(10-11-2015, 03:04 PM)Skanderbeg Wrote: 1. Hobbyist is right, as is your wife. You simply cannot go wrong with a dachshund. I've had a few over the years, including some mongrel-dachsund mixes. Lovely, friendly and intelligent dogs; far more intelligent than many human beings I've known.
2. Or maybe a Brabant Griffon. I simply adore mine - great with kids, tremendous heart, and utterly free of aggression.

AAre those brabant griffons any  thing like a pug? We had rescued a pug about 3 years ago and that dog...Let's just say that was the nastiest creature I've ever seen in my life and they stunk! 

The pug thought it was going to bully my cat . My cat doesn't play she tried to eat a chihuahua puppy one time that someone had brought to the house.  Anyway ppug is bite my cats tail. Cat turns to the pug and tells it to go on. Pug didn't listen and tried to bite my cat again. I heard this god awful yelp and cat had scratched pugs eye, pug went for cat again and cat went for the eye again this time cats claw got hung in pugs eye. It was one of the nastiest things I've ever had to do to get that cats claw out.

Took pug to vet and asked if they knew a good home and the vet tech took it home...

3 1,356
 10-11-2015, 03:42 PM
User Info
If it hasn't been stated know that a lot of smaller dogs are harder to house train than larger breeds. They also tend to bond more to one person. Not saying they won't love all but they will have that one person super bond and they can be bitey more for that reason. Not just talking out my but. Speaking from experience since wife worked for a vet back in the day, I worked in a pet shop, and an old friend of mine is a dog trainer. What ever you start to lean towards run a search for common ailments of the breed. 

I know you know this stuff but doesn't hurt to remind. I say get a mutt from the pound. They tend to be the most loyal since it's like they "know", have fewer ailments, and live the longest.

147 3,534
 10-11-2015, 03:46 PM
User Info
Indeed, Brabant Griffons are based on pugs. Myself, I can't say a single bad thing about mine - she gets on brilliantly with everyone and everything, cats included. To tell you the truth though, all of my dogs (and I've had a few over the years) have been very sociable.

0 60