10-11-2015, 10:55 PM
User Info
I'm looking for a versatile workhorse boar brush to add to my location. While I am looking for top-grade functionality, part of my requirements is that it be pretty.

Has anyone tried the boar Antica Barbieria Colla "Natural Bristle Shaving Brush"? How does it perform? I realize that there are cheaper options, but...

It's shiny and it is calling my name.

3 1,484
 10-11-2015, 11:57 PM
User Info
I know only of the Antiga Barbearia de Bairro brush - which is supposed to one of the best boar brushes out there, but has unfortunately the fake badger band and can therefore not enter my den Biggrin 

Is that the one you are referring to? It is made by Semogue...

7 882
 10-12-2015, 12:04 AM
User Info
(10-11-2015, 11:57 PM)alfredus Wrote: I know only of the Antiga Barbearia de Bairro brush - which is supposed to one of the best boar brushes out there, but has unfortunately the fake badger band and can therefore not enter my den Biggrin 

Is that the one you are referring to? It is made by Semogue...

Nope! The one I am looking at is by Antica Barbieria Colla and is available on their website. Hopefully it is not a violation of forum rules to post a link, but here it is:

http://www.anticabarbieriacollashop.com/...urale.html

I'd love to hear some impressions on this brush. It looks beautiful but I don't know how it would perform.

3 1,484
 10-12-2015, 03:55 AM
User Info
Reminds me a lot of the Proraso boar. Definitely not the same handle though.

Just my .02 as a boar fan - I don't see the sense in spending 55€ on a possible unknown, when for half that price you can get one of the best boars out there in the Semogue Owners' Club. It has a proven track record, many many reviews, and (IMHO) one of the best, most ergonomic handles out there. I say just get the SOC and be done with it! Biggrin

15 1,018
 10-12-2015, 04:00 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Looks very similar to the Omega S10083.

59 4,381
 10-12-2015, 04:56 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
I'm probably of no help as I haven't tried it before. I've tried looking up for reviews myself but can't find any. Although I know on one of the facebook groups, some one did mention it was a very nice brush. If you really like boar brushes I don't think you will be disappointed if purchased.

10 963
 10-12-2015, 08:57 AM
User Info
At that price you can get a tgn boar knot  (omega) in a custom handle probably.

6 808
 10-12-2015, 09:20 AM
User Info
Gentlemen, I know I can find a cheaper alternative, but I like the look and branding of this one - I'm simply wondering about performance at this point. If performance is roughly comparable to one of the top of the line Semogue models, it's worth the money for me.

3 1,484
 10-12-2015, 10:51 AM
User Info
Personally, if you like the look of the brush and you have the means, I would just buy it. Thumbup

82 21,056
 10-12-2015, 11:00 AM
User Info
(10-12-2015, 10:51 AM)celestino Wrote: Personally, if you like the look of the brush and you have the means, I would just buy it. Thumbup

I like the brush and I have the means, but I can't stand waste Tongue. It's a combination of traits that requires me to do excessive research in order to make a successful purchase Wink.

3 1,484
 10-12-2015, 12:29 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Just had an opportunity to visit the Antica Barbieria Colla barbershop in Milan for a traditional shave and a haircut. I could not book the old master, so one of his associates (I would like to think - an apprentice) Giuseppe shaved me with this very ABC boar brush. The brush felt nice and soft. I noticed though it was somewhat floppy and the barber had to reinforce the knot with his fingers. He used the ABC shaving cream, so there was no shortage of luxurious warm lather. I was not considering to purchase this brush, but would certainly say that it is of a very high quality and just looks cool. 

Just my two cents...

111 1,400
 10-12-2015, 12:50 PM
User Info
(10-12-2015, 12:29 PM)ARGH Wrote: Just had an opportunity to visit the Antica Barbieria Colla barbershop in Milan for a traditional shave and a haircut. I could not book the old master, so one of his associates (I would like to think - an apprentice) Giuseppe shaved me with this very ABC boar brush. The brush felt nice and soft. I noticed though it was somewhat floppy and the barber had to reinforce the knot with his fingers. He used the ABC shaving cream, so there was no shortage of luxurious warm lather. I was not considering to purchase this brush, but would certainly say that it is of a very high quality and just looks cool. 

Just my two cents...

Very helpful, thank you! Is it typical that barbers reinforce the knot by holding it? I watched a video on YouTube on the Antica Barbieria Colla barbershop and the barber did the same thing.

3 1,484
 10-12-2015, 08:07 PM
User Info
I have the ABC boar and have had mixed results with it. The quality of the hair is obviously better than the Omega. I have the Omega 49 and yes it looks alike but it is definitely NOT the same brush. The loft is taller on the ABC, the handle is heavier, the knot has no upside down bristles where the black ends shine in the white knot. This ABC brush does shed but would recommend getting it second hand. I had one for sale and no one jumped. This is not a WTS post but am simply stating that a high end boar to the degree of the price of the ABC boar is a tough sell. I bought mine because I wanted to try another high end quality boar brush.

79 1,295
 10-12-2015, 08:27 PM
User Info
(10-12-2015, 08:07 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: I have the ABC boar and have had mixed results with it. The quality of the hair is obviously better than the Omega. I have the Omega 49 and yes it looks alike but it is definitely NOT the same brush. The loft is taller on the ABC, the handle is heavier, the knot has no upside down bristles where the black ends shine in the white knot. This ABC brush does shed but would recommend getting it second hand. I had one for sale and no one jumped. This is not a WTS post but am simply stating that a high end boar to the degree of the price of the ABC boar is a tough sell. I bought mine because I wanted to try another high end quality boar brush.

What do you mean by mixed results? Is it floppy, as others have reported?

3 1,484
 10-12-2015, 08:48 PM
User Info
(10-12-2015, 08:27 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote:
(10-12-2015, 08:07 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: I have the ABC boar and have had mixed results with it. The quality of the hair is obviously better than the Omega. I have the Omega 49 and yes it looks alike but it is definitely NOT the same brush. The loft is taller on the ABC, the handle is heavier, the knot has no upside down bristles where the black ends shine in the white knot. This ABC brush does shed but would recommend getting it second hand. I had one for sale and no one jumped. This is not a WTS post but am simply stating that a high end boar to the degree of the price of the ABC boar is a tough sell. I bought mine because I wanted to try another high end quality boar brush.

It is denser than the look alike 49. I was really trying it out for head shaving and I loved the splay and loft size. I do think it will spread out nicely but wouldn't call it floppy. Doesn't mean that someone who isnt used to a tall loft boar would call it floppy but I also can admit I do like a nice flop to a lot a brushes.

79 1,295
 10-12-2015, 09:00 PM
User Info
(10-12-2015, 08:48 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote:
(10-12-2015, 08:27 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote:

It is denser than the look alike 49. I was really trying it out for head shaving and I loved the splay and loft size. I do think it will spread out nicely but wouldn't call it floppy. Doesn't mean that someone who isnt used to a tall loft boar would call it floppy but I also can admit I do like a nice flop to a lot a brushes.

Hmmm interesting, thanks for the explanation! I'm trying to get the barbershop to sell me the matching bowl. Yes I'm a nerd Tongue. It's really quite a nice looking brush. My hope is that it has enough of a backbone to lather hard soaps properly. As long as it performs decently with loading and lathering, the pretty premium is worth it.

3 1,484
 11-09-2015, 11:13 AM
User Info
So I received the brush and had a chance to use it today. This is a fantastic brush! The natural boar bristles are very white and the brush is extraordinarily dense compared to many other boars I have seen. I don't have any other experience with boar brushes (I purchased this one to be my only boar) but so far I'm very satisfied. The tips were somehow a smidge exfoliating while being nearly as soft as a super badger or silvertip, which is an interesting experience for me. Backbone was good yet the tips were soft - a fantastic combination! It did very well lathering my Antica Barbieria soap, making the lather surprisingly hydrated and shiny. I'll certainly be using this as my preferred brush with Italian soaps.

The handle is also pretty. A huge plus!

3 1,484
 11-09-2015, 11:29 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Congratulations! Now I am starting to regret that I did not buy it, while I had a chance... Confused

111 1,400
 11-09-2015, 12:47 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
This thread needs lots of PHOTOS!! (only because the only shots of this brush I've ever seen are the marketing and sales pictures)  Angel

How's the handle feel along with the weight as its not supposed to be plastic. How are you finding the loft as I believe I've seen the videos of ABC showing the barbers pinching the knot base while lathering.

Congrats on finding a brush your happy with!

35 1,329
 11-09-2015, 01:42 PM
User Info
(11-09-2015, 12:47 PM)refles Wrote: This thread needs lots of PHOTOS!! (only because the only shots of this brush I've ever seen are the marketing and sales pictures)  Angel

How's the handle feel along with the weight as its not supposed to be plastic. How are you finding the loft as I believe I've seen the videos of ABC showing the barbers pinching the knot base while lathering.

Congrats on finding a brush your happy with!
I'm bad with photos or I'd have done that already Tongue. Trust me though, it looks great in person.

The handle is a moderate weight, but it feels great in my hand due to its size and shape. I was worried about the high loft and floppiness when I saw those same videos, but I used it like normal and had absolutely no issues. I believe the knot pinching with this particular brush is simply a grip preference. The knot is dense enough that it has decent backbone while still remaining soft at the tips.

3 1,484