10-12-2015, 01:04 AM
User Info
I just got these in bulk and they're the best blade for the razor I'm using. I have an ATT Slant, but I found it too mild so I rigged it to make it slightly more aggressive. These blades cut aggressively, but they have got to be the smoothest I've ever used and I've gone through a ton of blades. I'm 41 and I've been shaving this way since I was 19 so you can imagine. I said on another forum they cut like Feathers but are smoother than Silver Blues; for those people who like Silver Blues.  The cost was absolutely taxed, but you quickly forget about that from the first stroke. This is what they look like. The only thing is since they were so old, it was an ordeal trying to pry the blades apart from one another. They come in packs of 5. If you can find them, buy them. It's crazy how some of best razor blades aren't made anymore.

[Image: txNAstK.jpg]

0 45
 10-12-2015, 05:02 PM
User Info
I bought about 50 of these at a flea market a few years ago for like $2. I passed them up the first time I saw them(and there were over 100 there) because they wanted like $6 for them. I'm still kicking myself for being so cheap and not snagging them when I initially saw them. These are STILL my favorite blade, aside from Schick Plus Platinums, of course... But good luck finding THOSE in any quantity whatsoever!

Sent from my iPhone directly into your brain using Tapatalk

0 53
 10-12-2015, 05:42 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
"Balaclava, and a Wilkinson sword was there" replete with a British hussar in Napoleonic finery. The advertising was better too. IS there any advertising for blades today?
HMMMM? " MERKURS, you can always patch your old 356 Porsche rust bucket with one".

2 3,171
 10-13-2015, 02:22 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Quite possibly the finest blades ever made, and English, not a combination that often coincides when it comes to manufacturing.

144 2,746
 11-14-2015, 01:15 AM
User Info
(10-12-2015, 05:02 PM)24Fanatic Wrote: I bought about 50 of these at a flea market a few years ago for like $2. I passed them up the first time I saw them(and there were over 100 there) because they wanted like $6 for them. I'm still kicking myself for being so cheap and not snagging them when I initially saw them. These are STILL my favorite blade, aside from Schick Plus Platinums, of course... But good luck finding THOSE in any quantity whatsoever!

Sent from my iPhone directly into your brain using Tapatalk

I got 200 for $70 plus shipping. I mean it's little pricey, but I can think of a few blades that cost almost $40 for a 100. These were well worth the money. They're two problems though. When you open the plastic container, the 5 blades are stuck together and it's an ordeal prying them apart without damaging the blade. The other issue is rust. They're obviously not stainless steal because the first time I got them. I used it, took out of the razor and kinda just shelved it on a piece of cloth in my cabinet. It showed signs of rust the next day. It wasn't overrun by rush, but you kinda have to dry them immediately. I mean dry, I would take a blowdryer and store it in the driest possible environment. That means if you take really hot showers, steam will rust that blade. However when you take that first stroke, the edge so amazing that you're willing to deal with the shortcomings. It's the same thing with straight razors. Stainless steel razors may not rust; well some do, but they're more difficult to hone and they don't hold their edge as well as a carbon steel razor. It's the damn maintenance that's required for having a carbon straight. When that blade is honed properly though, no stainless steel razor will compete with it, not for sharpness, not for smoothness. I had a pretty nice one, but I sold it. I guess if you're into the entire ritual. To me, it's just shaving. I do admit that using a nice brush, razor and good shave cream has made what used to be a nightmare, almost relaxing and pleasurable. I know people have turned it into a religious or spiritual experience, you're cutting hair off your face, it's not that deep. I mean nothing against people that are like that. You got 40 razors and 50 brushes, more power to you. In the end, the result is the same. Shaving is important, but so is your hair, your teeth and I don't see people going off the deep end about that. Anyway I completely got off the topic. Sorry. I can give you the name of the guy I got them from if you're interested.

0 45
 11-14-2015, 10:40 AM
User Info
I found them to be excellent blades, but much too expensive compared to my main blade, Iridium Super, which is just as smooth and long-lasting as these.

Enjoy your shaves.

83 21,077
 11-14-2015, 03:28 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I know that the Light Brigades are the ones people seek out the most, but I wish there was a reference/resource of some kind to indicate the different Wilkinsons. I do see them sometimes but have no idea which ones are worth grabbing, or if I'm just going to be wasting my  $$$. Anyone here an expert on Wilkinsons? I saw some recently, packaged, box of ten for $10 Aussie dollars. Wasn't sure. They weren't Light Brigades.

0 1,762
 11-15-2015, 07:07 AM
User Info
The vintage (early to mid 70's) 'Made In England' blades are great,probably my favourite vintage blades,the ones sold as 'Wilkinson Sword' nowadays (in the UK at least),are rubbish.
They tug,they rust,they suck!.

3 62
 12-27-2015, 03:01 AM
User Info
(11-14-2015, 03:28 PM)Shaun Wrote: I know that the Light Brigades are the ones people seek out the most, but I wish there was a reference/resource of some kind to indicate the different Wilkinsons. I do see them sometimes but have no idea which ones are worth grabbing, or if I'm just going to be wasting my  $$$. Anyone here an expert on Wilkinsons? I saw some recently, packaged, box of ten for $10 Aussie dollars. Wasn't sure. They weren't Light Brigades.

Actually any one of the English Chromium Wilkinsons are amazing. I can get the Light Brigades, but the guy wants like $9 for 5 and the difference isn't that dramatic, but they are better than what I got. I've used just about every blade out there and I know certain blades don't work for certain people, but honestly; I don't see how these blades can give anyone a bad shave.  My favorite blades were the older Super Iridiums that come in the blue and silver box. You can still can get them. Italian Barber carries them, but they run out of them quickly. They're not the same as the Polsilver Super Iridiums. They feel totally different.

0 45