10-12-2015, 09:38 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
I have had a soap in mind for some time but without the skill to actually make it, it was going nowhere.

The inspiration is my Grandfather, a South Texas rancher and a prototypical man's man. He smoked Camel non-filters for the majority of his life, later switching to a pipe for which he had a special blend of tobacco.

He would store his mix with wedges of fruit such as apples, etc. to maintain the moisture and freshness.

As a kid, and even as a non-smoker, the smell was rich with tobacco, apple, apricot, cherry and vanilla. So comforting and reminds me of sitting in his lap as he loaded his pipe and told me stories of the early 1900's in Texas and his adventures making a living off the land.

He passed at the age of 91 in 1999 and this soap, that Eric created, is a tribute to him, his lifestyle and character. Obi Hill is the highest point on our land and was one of our favorite places to sit reflecting on times past, present and future.

Can't wait to receive it and my greatest of thanks to Eric at Dapper Dragon for making it happen!

[Image: tSEJsRwl.jpg]

2 1,180
 10-12-2015, 10:10 AM
User Info
Beautiful story, Kevin and well done to Eric for helping you make this a realization! Thumbsup

83 21,115
 10-12-2015, 10:26 AM
User Info
This is a real tribute, I hope you enjoy it when it arrives. Erics customs are special and a great edition to the den.

4 642
 10-12-2015, 10:40 AM
User Info
This would be a scent which i would like to try. Sounds absolutely great. Is this "free" to buy or was it just a special edition just made especially for you?

I never used Dapper Dragon...so it would be interesting. Heared many great reviews about the Dapper Dragon soaps.

Sent with my BlackBerry Passport

0 273
 10-13-2015, 04:49 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Thanks friends- shipped out yesterday and is on the way. Keep you posted on scent and performance but expect great stuff!

Thorsten, I don't know that Eric was planning on broad sale but I have had some interest expressed via the post I made. He did has also retained the formula for future runs as well.

2 1,180
 10-14-2015, 06:07 AM
User Info
(10-12-2015, 10:40 AM)ChiefShaver Wrote: This would be a scent which i would like to try. Sounds absolutely great. Is this "free" to buy or was it just a special edition just made especially for you?

I never used Dapper Dragon...so it would be interesting. Heared many great reviews about the Dapper Dragon soaps.

Sent with my BlackBerry Passport

(10-13-2015, 04:49 AM)kwsher Wrote: Thanks friends- shipped out yesterday and is on the way. Keep you posted on scent and performance but expect great stuff!

Thorsten, I don't know that Eric was planning on broad sale but I have had some interest expressed via the post I made. He did has also retained the formula for future runs as well.

I haven't made any plans to do a wide release at this time, but a few other custom scents have become regulars, so you never know. Oli's Blend (for windsor citrus) became White Chocolate Orange, and Pomegranate and Watermelon started off as custom requests, too.

Once Kevin has a chance to check it out, if he's cool with it and there is sufficient interest we can see about doing at least a limited run. I've been considering adding a tobacco-centric scent to the line-up anyway.

Eric

10 1,858
 10-14-2015, 06:16 AM
User Info
I think we might of had the same grandfather!  Your memories sound so familiar, maybe it's a Texas thing.  The soap sounds amazing.  100% respect goes out to Dapper Dragon for making these dreams a reality.

79 824
 10-14-2015, 06:18 AM
User Info
does one have to buy x amount of tubs or how does one get his own scent made?

79 824
 10-14-2015, 06:24 AM
User Info
(10-14-2015, 06:18 AM)Deuce428 Wrote: does one have to buy x amount of tubs or how does one get his own scent made?

It depends a lot on the specifics of the request. 

Because of the way the soap is made, it is possible to scent and tub a single tub's worth, but it's not always cost effective for the customer. If you want a scent that I don't think I can use, you'll end up paying for all of it even if I only use a few grams. OTOH, I've had custom scents that requested components on I had on hand so it was an easy job to make something up, and they were just a bit more expensive than the regular tubs, and one was no problem.

Rather than hijack Kevin's thread, if you'd like more info you can send me a PM, or email me at eric@dapperdragon.com

10 1,858
 10-19-2015, 05:54 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
Hi Eric, I would happily support a production/limited run of Obi Hill!

[Image: PP5xcLtl.jpg]

The soap shipment arrived from Eric last week- including several extra samples: (2) shave soaps and a bath soap! I have been using the Signature bath soap and it is fantastic!

The Obi Hill met or exceeded all expectation. In the tub the rich tobacco scent is most prevalent with a strong hint of cherry. The scent strength is above average but not overpowering.

On use, the stone fruit becomes more prevalent with Apricot rounding out the tobacco and the Vanilla bringing a richness but no one note overpowering the others.

The performance itself was top notch. I typically bias my first pass to cushion with subsequent to slickness and as I built my lather I had a rich, dense lather in no time.

Post shave was well above average to round out the experience.

As I finished shaving, the room was filled with the gentle scent of pipe tobacco almost as if a pipe smoker had been there some time before and left behind the aroma of a top shelf tobacco. I can't help but wonder if perhaps they were...

Well done Eric and thanks very much for the effort, I couldn't be more pleased with the result!

2 1,180
 10-19-2015, 09:58 AM
User Info
This sounds incredible and I would definately buy a tub Smile congratulations to Kevin and Eric for the great work.

4 642
 10-19-2015, 10:14 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(10-14-2015, 06:07 AM)Songwind Wrote: Once Kevin has a chance to check it out, if he's cool with it and there is sufficient interest we can see about doing at least a limited run. I've been considering adding a tobacco-centric scent to the line-up anyway.

Eric

Thanks Oli!

Hi Eric, kicked the tires and if there is enough demand to make it worth your while (seems there is based on response to me and the forums) would fully support! 

Deuce, cut from the same cloth it sounds!

2 1,180
 10-19-2015, 02:29 PM
User Info
Tobacco/cherry is right up my alley, sounds amazing! If the opportunity arises I would definitely pick up a tub just off the scent description.

Great job Dapper Dragon and such a lovely story about your father Kevin, congrats on the soap and I hope you enjoy in good health Smile

7 787
 10-19-2015, 02:43 PM
User Info
Count me in also? Congrats on a wonderful sounding soap.

115 1,011
 10-20-2015, 05:48 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(10-19-2015, 02:43 PM)essrbc11 Wrote: Count me in also? Congrats on a wonderful sounding soap.

Just got word and it looks like Eric will be adding Obi Hill to his production calendar as a LE Smile

2 1,180
 10-20-2015, 05:50 AM
User Info
(10-20-2015, 05:48 AM)kwsher Wrote:
(10-19-2015, 02:43 PM)essrbc11 Wrote: Count me in also? Congrats on a wonderful sounding soap.

Just got word and it looks like Eric will be adding Obi Hill to his production calendar as a LE Smile

Great news and thanks for the heads up. This scent sounds superb and will be my first go around with dapper dragon.

115 1,011
 10-21-2015, 10:30 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(10-20-2015, 05:50 AM)essrbc11 Wrote:
(10-20-2015, 05:48 AM)kwsher Wrote:

Great news and thanks for the heads up. This scent sounds superb and will be my first go around with dapper dragon.
I really enjoy it Eric and once available look forward to what you think. Performance is great too!

2 1,180
 10-27-2015, 05:37 PM
User Info
Fantastic thread. It captures the gentlemanly spirit of this hobby so well.

6 863
 10-28-2015, 03:52 AM
User Info
Thank you for sharing your moving tribute to your Grandfather.

0 531
 10-28-2015, 06:59 AM
  • kwsher
  • Austin, TX - USA
User Info
(10-27-2015, 05:37 PM)Galhatz Wrote: Fantastic thread. It captures the gentlemanly spirit of this hobby so well.

(10-28-2015, 03:52 AM)ask4Edge Wrote: Thank you for sharing your moving tribute to your Grandfather.
Thanks very much for the kind words- has been a fun experience working with Eric, even more so as he definitely captured a "place in time" with this scent.

2 1,180