10-12-2015, 05:06 PM
User Info
This tip is mostly aimed at beginners.

From time to time I apply my Proraso green and also the red preshave cream just before my shave.

With the better quality shaving creams and shaving soaps, I have found the pre shave cream gives me very little to no benefit.

BUT the interesting part comes, when ever I use one of my few inferior shaving creams and shaving soaps.

Each time I use the Proraso preshave before I use a middle of the road performing shaving cream and shaving soaps - I always 100% of the time get a very nice shave out of it.
My theory is that the pre shave cream adds the extra protection and cushion that the inferior shaving cream/soap lacks.

So whenever you decide to use a shaving cream and shaving soap, that you might feel is middle of the road performance wise, try using a Proraso preshave cream before your shave and see if it doen not give you a better quality shave.

24 5,965
 10-12-2015, 06:35 PM
User Info
Good advice, Claus!  I guess you could always just get rid of those 'inferior' soaps/creams and keep the superior ones. Biggrin

82 21,077
 10-12-2015, 07:38 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Yes, I suppose the use of a pre shave is something a beginner could try to see if it does make a difference to their shave. The use of a pre shave was something I was blissfully unaware of my entire life until I joined the shaving forums a few years back in order to learn to use a straight razor. I did try a few of them and found they never made an appreciable difference to my shave and I use quite a few middle of the road and lower grade soap/creams. It is one of those things that is worth investigating just don't expect miracles if you are a beginner who has been experiencing poor shaves. 

Bob

0 1,694
 10-12-2015, 09:23 PM
User Info
I totally agree!  A Pre-Shave like the Proraso or an oil are really mandatory if your soap is lacking in the slickness department. Made a world of difference for me...

1 27
 10-14-2015, 03:54 AM
User Info
(10-12-2015, 06:35 PM)celestino Wrote: Good advice, Claus!  I guess you could always just get rid of those 'inferior' soaps/creams and keep the superior ones. Biggrin

Absolutely - life is too short for inferior soaps and inferior shaves Biggrin

7 902
 10-14-2015, 04:00 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I have used some pre shave creams as a beginner, like Proraso and Edwin Jagger. Both have menthol, so they cool. I thought that they prepare the skin for a good shave, softening the beard.
Now, I think that they are not necessary. I gave them to some friends. You just need good technique and good products.

Although, many beginners will think that help. I believe that this is an illusion, let's say. If you learn how to make a good lather with every soap or cream you have, this is the only think you need as a pre.

That's my opinion, of course.

49 1,996
 10-14-2015, 04:33 AM
User Info
I use AOS preshave oil. I have tried shaving with and without oil, using the same shaving cream and I like the result better when I'm using oil. I haven't tried preshave creams though...

0 109
 10-14-2015, 04:47 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(10-14-2015, 04:00 AM)nikos.a Wrote: I have used some pre shave creams as a beginner, like Proraso and Edwin Jagger. Both have menthol, so they cool. I thought that they prepare the skin for a good shave, softening the beard.
Now, I think that they are not necessary. I gave them to some friends. You just need good technique and good products.

Although, many beginners will think that help. I believe that this is an illusion, let's say. If you learn how to make a good lather with every soap or cream you have, this is the only think you need as a pre.

Well, I would agree with your opinion but then that is just my opinion also. I think for a beginner the use of a pre shave my help hide any defects in their shaving technique and their ability to raise a proper lather. It may give the illusion that you are improving those components of the shave when you really are not. 

I think a beginner is better off in the long run to keep things simple and use one soap/cream, one brush and one razor/blade till they can get a decent shave consistently. Once they can do that add one item to the shave routine at a time so you then know if that one addition to the routine is or is not improving your shave results.

Bob

0 1,694
 10-14-2015, 07:17 AM
User Info
I agree that it's a good tool for a beginner. Sort of like training wheels for your lather technique. Smile

10 1,858
 10-14-2015, 07:33 AM
User Info
Agreed. I'm glad I revisited as I originally thought pre shaves didn't work for me.

I have since found that come in 2 types, oils and creams.

Most oils do tend to make my shave worse (except a few that are more slick / less viscous ... Jack Black MP10 and RazoRock Pre Barba).

Creams like Proraso and SMN work best for me.

With both I find it best to wait a few minutes.

I do prefer to use products that don't need it, but it opens up the doors to some wonderful scents Smile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

192 1,588
 10-14-2015, 04:14 PM
User Info
(10-14-2015, 04:00 AM)nikos.a Wrote: I have used some pre shave creams as a beginner, like Proraso and Edwin Jagger. Both have menthol, so they cool. I thought that they prepare the skin for a good shave, softening the beard.

To say it's an illusion that Proraso pre-shave cream works is opposing to this entire thread.

You're perfectly entitled to your own subjective & personal opinion, but it is what it is: Your opinion. No less. No more.

You also proceed to contradict your own opinion by stating that:

".....You just need good technique and good products...."

This is the whole essence of my original post.
As long as you have great products, more often than not, a pre shave product will be redundant.

But most beginners DO NOT always buy the great products to start out with. In this case the pre shave product will in my subjective personal little own world opinion definitely improve the shave itself and the post shave feel.

I'm also if the clear solid opinion that if you shave without showering first, the Proraso pre shave cream definitely helps with softening the whiskers making them easier to cut.
Of course you can just wet your face with a damp cloth, but still I believe the Proraso pre shave cream will benefit to the end result.

I can honestly say, that I have yet to get a poor shave, when I have used this marvellous pre shave product.

I'm not in any way paid by Proraso to praise this product. Schilling is not the case here either. I just love this product for what it is.

24 5,965
 10-14-2015, 04:19 PM
User Info
I enjoy using a pre, proraso green was my first and it works well in combination with other products as a soothing post
Others I enjoy are antesol by myrsol and Baum,be pre gel, both are excellent and IMO better than the proraso.

IMHO these for me, are needed for at least my neck.

28 779
 10-14-2015, 04:25 PM
User Info
(10-14-2015, 04:14 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:

To say it's an illusion that Proraso pre-shave cream works is opposing to this entire thread.

You're perfectly entitled to your own subjective & personal opinion, but it is what it is: Your opinion. No less. No more.

That Proraso pre-shave works is also your opinion. No less. No more. And like him you're also entitled to your opinion.

18 713
 10-14-2015, 05:59 PM
User Info
Well, when I began wet shaving I didn't even consider using a pre-shave oil since I had never used one before.  But over time I picked up a few along the way and started using them when I had missed a day or two of shaving, figuring it couldn't hurt.  Plus, there were a number of master barbers out there recommending them.  Some were junk, frankly, that I threw out after trying once or twice.  But three different ones really stood out for me because my face felt so silky smooth afterwards.  Gradually I started including an oil in my daily prep routine, and now I rotate one every day.  The ones that I use don't just slick up your face, they condition your skin and Lord knows at my age (58) I'm all about conditioning my skin.

Necessary for a good shave?  Nah.  I managed to get BBS shaves without them just fine.

But do they make me happy?  Yup.  I feel like a new man coming out of Downing's Shave Den every morning and a part of that is how good my face feels to the touch.

And that's not my opinion, it's a stone cold fact.  Tongue

As always, ymmv.

0 135
 10-15-2015, 12:32 AM
User Info
(10-14-2015, 04:25 PM)fram773 Wrote:
(10-14-2015, 04:14 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:

That Proraso pre-shave works is also your opinion. No less. No more. And like him you're also entitled to your opinion.

But it's not.....if you care to read the reply without cutting the quote in half, my friend.

He clearly states that as long as you have good technique and good products, a pre-shave is redundant.

As the thread starter I certainly don't own the rights to the posters opinions, but I do own the rights to expect a well thought out reply, don't I ?

24 5,965
 10-15-2015, 12:47 AM
User Info
(10-12-2015, 06:35 PM)celestino Wrote: Good advice, Claus!  I guess you could always just get rid of those 'inferior' soaps/creams and keep the superior ones. Biggrin

Celestino, I would hate to get rid of my two MDC's. The pre-shave cream used before using my MDC's means I have ZERO dry post shave feel after using MDC.

So the highly touted Martin de Candre is just one luxury shaving soap that benefits from a pre-shave cream.

I would like to bet $100 that 99% of the Gentlemen, that feels MDC has a dry post shave feel, would benefit from using a pre-shave cream.

Le Pere Lucien soap on the other hand, for me, does not need or benefit from using a pre-shave cream. I own 4 LPL soaps.

The cheap Proraso shaving creams and soaps are a main stay in my collection. But their performance frankly are not top notch. I keep them for their scents, which all are rather cheap in your face scents, but I have grown to love them. A pre-shave cream used before a Proraso shaving cream or soap product is applied do most certainly improve my shave. Even with perfect lather, I find the Proraso creams and soaps rather mediocre performing wise. But I keep them in my rather huge rotation for nostalgic sentimental reasons

24 5,965
 10-15-2015, 06:09 AM
User Info
Claus, I completely understand and enjoy your soap and creams, my friend! Thumbsup

82 21,077
 10-15-2015, 07:28 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I didn't want to answer, but I will.
Honestly, I don't know what is your problem with my opinion. Of course I believe that a pre- shave is redundant as long as you have developed good technique and you have some good products in your rotation. Why you find it so strange? If you don't agree, you should just accept it and respect my opinion. Also, there are other members who agree with me, I' m not the only one here.
When you post a thread, you have to respect everyone's opinion on this matter. We are grown ups I guess. This is a discussion forum and there is no rule that says not to answer if you disagree with the view of the member who created the thread. Intolerance is something I really don't accept and I respect everyone's opinion. If you have such a big problem with opinions different than yours you could have send a personal message to one of our moderators, rather than hijacking your own thread.

That's my opinion, again!

49 1,996
 10-15-2015, 08:29 AM
User Info
(10-15-2015, 07:28 AM)nikos.a Wrote: I didn't want to answer, but I will.
Honestly, I don't know what is your problem with my opinion. Of course I believe that a pre- shave is redundant as long as you have developed good technique and you have some good products in your rotation. Why you find it so strange? If you don't agree, you should just accept it and respect my opinion. Also, there are other members who agree with me, I' m not the only one here.
When you post a thread, you have to respect everyone's opinion on this matter. We are grown ups I guess. This is a discussion forum and there is no rule that says not to answer if you disagree with the view of the member who created the thread. Intolerance is something I really don't accept and I respect everyone's opinion. If you have such a big problem with opinions different than yours you could have send a personal message to one of our moderators, rather than hijacking your own thread.

Well aren't you being hypocritical and intolerant sir.

In my humble opinion you came off in the first post as putting down clauss and staying pres are for beginners.

Your of course entitled to your opinion though and YMMV...

28 779
 10-15-2015, 09:04 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(10-15-2015, 08:29 AM)Safelysimpson Wrote:
(10-15-2015, 07:28 AM)nikos.a Wrote: I didn't want to answer, but I will.

Well aren't you being hypocritical and intolerant sir.

In my humble opinion you came off in the first post as putting down clauss and staying pres are for beginners.

Your of course entitled to your opinion though and YMMV...
Do you have to say anything on topic or you just came here to accuse me of being hypocritical and intolerant?

No, I just stated that pres are useless in my opinion, as simple as that. You like it or not.

I respect your opinion but as the word hypocritical is greek and I know the meaning better than you can think of, where did you see the theatrinism in my posts?

Post whatever you like, I am not going to continue this funny show you guys made.
End of story.

49 1,996