10-12-2015, 10:19 PM
User Info
Hey All,

I just wanted to get your thoughts on Tiki Soaps.  I have been waiting for 3 weeks on two soaps that I ordered from them.  Long story short, I emailed the owner on the 3rd of October asking when it would be shipped (politely), and she said she was sending it the next week.  I got a shipping email on the 7th, but it has been saying that "a shipping label was created" for the last five days with no movement of a package.  After looking at their website in the Contact portion, it looks like others have had the same problem with CS.  I saw a thread on B&B where a guy waited for 3 months to get his order fixed, which worries me.  

Anyone else had good or bad experiences with them, and is it worth the wait and hassle?  Thanks!

0 58
 10-13-2015, 04:28 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
I like her product but have had less than stellar experiences.  All of which resemble yours.  One time, after waiting several weeks I emailed her, she said the postman kept forgetting to pick up her order yet two days after she contacted me with that excuse she finally sent me a tracking number.  She has a lot of excuses and I don't buy it anymore.  Of the 3 soaps I have purchased I have had to email her asking why I haven't received them.  The last soap I purchased was of her "French" formula.  When I finally did receive the container looked half full.  It was supposed to be 8 net ounces as advertised on her web page.  I weighed the soap while in the container and the total gross was was 7.4 ounces.  I then scraped the soap out into another container that I had tared on my scale.  The actual net weight of the soap I got was 5.3 ounces.  I contacted her and after 3 weeks she finally got back to me and said that some of the water must have evaporated.  Hmmmm?   Well, the container was air tight to begin with so I don't think 1/3 of the product actually evaporated.  Secondly, the soap that I received was actually the consistency of proraso cream, but more watery.  I for one will never be doing business with her again.

45 622
 10-13-2015, 07:04 AM
User Info
I suspected that there were others.  I've never had an experience like this with any other artisan.  All the others that I've ordered from:  B&M, Cold River, Mama Bear, Maggard, Phoenix, Stirling, Soap Commander, and Caties Bubbles all had great shipping and customer service if I had a problem.  B&M sent a wrong soap (Seville when I ordered Solarion) and quickly sent out right soap when I contacted them about the error.  The even let me keep Seville!  That's what I call CS!

I saw that Chris Bailey made a comment on her customer service last year, but then retracted it in a TSE video where he apologized for the comment, after she sent him a few free pucks to rectify the situation.  Personally I think it shouldn't take that to get an order right, and I can't imagine she loves sending out free items all the time.  I noticed that Maggards Razors doesn't sell her stuff anymore.  Is that a coincidence?

Thanks for your reply.

0 58
 10-13-2015, 10:08 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
The soaps are stellar, and if you order them through Maggard you won't have to worry about service. MHO.
Not discounting any problems with the soapmaker, just offering a possible solution.

2 1,683
 10-13-2015, 01:52 PM
  • flintlock
  • Who's for the camp at Cambridge...
  • Hamilton, NJ
User Info
Yep, Had the same problem with her to. She told me she sent it out but I never got it.?. Then she said she sent an other and never got that.?. Had to put in a clam with PayPal to get my money back. I do like Tiki Soaps but would never order through her website again. Your better off ordering through a Vendor.

Anthony

0 35
 10-13-2015, 04:04 PM
User Info
Soaps were inconsistent, some were very soft "croaps" some were "normal" soft soaps, one had hard white globs in it, that she explained.
 My order was lost/missed/forgotten, took an extra 10 days to receive, and she explained about personal issues that delayed shipment. Once I reminded her, it shipped within a normal timeframe with extras included, as an apology. Overall the soap was an okay performer, non of the scents were must haves for me, and none in my den now.

Some folks seem to really like it.

0 24
 10-13-2015, 09:15 PM
User Info
(10-13-2015, 10:08 AM)SRNewb Wrote: The soaps are stellar, and if you order them through Maggard you won't have to worry about service. MHO.
Not discounting any problems with the soapmaker, just offering a possible solution.
I checked Maggard's and they don't seem to carry her soaps any longer.  FYI,  I still have not received an email response from her in over 24 hours.

0 58
 10-14-2015, 04:08 AM
User Info
I have one tub of Tiki  (Citrus-Mint) that I bought from Maggard number of months ago.  Performance is very good, but the scent is not what I expected with no discernible citrus.

Looking to buy more Tiki soap, I started keeping an eye on this company - particularly on Maggard Razors because of my EDGE free-shipping membership, but never saw the soaps that I was interested in ever being restocked.  Same situation at other vendors, so I have to assume that Tiki is not particularly interested in being in the shave soap business.

I'm puzzled by this as she's all over social media and had seeded her product with many of the You Tube shave reviewers.  In other words she did a good job of developing demand, but spent little energy on fulfilling that demand.   She would set up relationships with vendors and seemingly they would never restock her line.  

Unlike Mike's Natural, who developed a simple way notify his customers about availability, Tiki Bar remains a mystery.  It may be good soap, but they've lost me as a customer.  There are plenty of other good shave soaps out there, that don't require going through a huge search process.

3 460
 10-14-2015, 07:21 AM
User Info
(10-12-2015, 10:19 PM)FenrirWhiskers Wrote: Hey All,

I just wanted to get your thoughts on Tiki Soaps.  I have been waiting for 3 weeks on two soaps that I ordered from them.  Long story short, I emailed the owner on the 3rd of October asking when it would be shipped (politely), and she said she was sending it the next week.  I got a shipping email on the 7th, but it has been saying that "a shipping label was created" for the last five days with no movement of a package.  After looking at their website in the Contact portion, it looks like others have had the same problem with CS.  I saw a thread on B&B where a guy waited for 3 months to get his order fixed, which worries me.  

Anyone else had good or bad experiences with them, and is it worth the wait and hassle?  Thanks!

Tiki Bar soaps are one of my favorites. I have several scents and have had no issues ordering off their website or from Amanda's Etsy store. I sent emails to her through the Etsy store and received a response within 24 hrs. I really like the products and hope all issues can be overcome.

15 98
 10-14-2015, 09:30 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
I enjoy shaving with this soap, it's excellent though I have not experienced or purchased from their site. I have gotten Tiki from the Merz Apothecary store here in Chicago.

51 437
 10-14-2015, 02:41 PM
User Info
(10-14-2015, 04:08 AM)redrako Wrote: I have one tub of Tiki  (Citrus-Mint) that I bought from Maggard number of months ago.  Performance is very good, but the scent is not what I expected with no discernible citrus.

Looking to buy more Tiki soap, I started keeping an eye on this company - particularly on Maggard Razors because of my EDGE free-shipping membership, but never saw the soaps that I was interested in ever being restocked.  Same situation at other vendors, so I have to assume that Tiki is not particularly interested in being in the shave soap business.

I'm puzzled by this as she's all over social media and had seeded her product with many of the You Tube shave reviewers.  In other words she did a good job of developing demand, but spent little energy on fulfilling that demand.   She would set up relationships with vendors and seemingly they would never restock her line.  

Unlike Mike's Natural, who developed a simple way notify his customers about availability, Tiki Bar remains a mystery.  It may be good soap, but they've lost me as a customer.  There are plenty of other good shave soaps out there, that don't require going through a huge search process.
I think your analysis is right on the money.  I still have not heard anything from her.  I actually saw that a guy posted in June on her website that he hadn't received his package yet.  He provided a tracking number on the comment, so curious, I entered it into the USPS tracking.  "Shipping label created."  That was it....  4 months later.  Now I'm worried, and that is just awful customer service.  I'll try to contact her on multiple sources to see if I get a response.

You are right, she is active on social media.  On facebook she posted that she just hired a great worker to help her.  Her enthusiasm should be reflected to her customer service.

0 58
 10-14-2015, 02:47 PM
User Info
That is why paypal claims are there for. I've had to use that on lousy vendors and voila they immediately responded after the Paypal claim...

18 713
 10-14-2015, 03:27 PM
  • flintlock
  • Who's for the camp at Cambridge...
  • Hamilton, NJ
User Info
(10-14-2015, 07:21 AM)nwohio Wrote:
(10-12-2015, 10:19 PM)FenrirWhiskers Wrote: Hey All,

Tiki Bar soaps are one of my favorites. I have several scents and have had no issues ordering off their website or from Amanda's Etsy store. I sent emails to her through the Etsy store and received a response within 24 hrs. I really like the products and hope all issues can be overcome.

Well I guess you are one of the Rare Lucky ones, I find her Website a little confusing also.  I would love to see Amanda respond to this thread and hear what she has to say about this. Wow, really didn't want to pound on a Artisan like this.  Blush

0 35
 10-14-2015, 04:42 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I contacted Amanda via Facebook. She asked me to tell you she is not a member here, so cannot post.
But she asks that you email her at tikisoap@gmail.com, and use your username in the subject line.
Hope that helps you, and that this is resolved quickly.
Sorry i could not be of more help than that.

2 1,683
 10-14-2015, 05:01 PM
User Info
I have no experience with Tiki but it sounds like very poor business practice especially in this day and age. I've been doing the majority of my shopping for everything online for well over a decade and there's literally only a handful of bad experiences. In that time.. I did have one instance where I waited a couple weeks and after the second email exchange I asked for a refund. I do know there's other stores that carry her soaps (a quick search shows Pheonix Artisans and West coast shaving both which ship promptly and have good customer service). Good luck.

0 28
 10-14-2015, 06:42 PM
User Info
(10-14-2015, 05:01 PM)marcall Wrote: . I do know there's other stores that carry her soaps (a quick search shows Pheonix Artisans and West coast shaving both which ship promptly and have good customer service). Good luck.

Phoenix does not have a good reputation... It is the same thing as HTGAM.... The owner had to change the name because of the controversy.

18 713
 10-14-2015, 07:28 PM
User Info
(10-14-2015, 04:42 PM)SRNewb Wrote: I contacted Amanda via Facebook. She asked me to tell you she is not a member here, so cannot post.
But she asks that you email her at tikisoap@gmail.com, and use your username in the subject line.

(10-14-2015, 06:42 PM)fram773 Wrote:
(10-14-2015, 05:01 PM)marcall Wrote: . I do know there's other stores that carry her soaps (a quick search shows Pheonix Artisans and West coast shaving both which ship promptly and have good customer service). Good luck.

Phoenix does not have a good reputation... It is the same thing as HTGAM.... The owner had to change the name because of the controversy.

I have ordered from Phoenix before and liked some their stuff.  I seems they carry a lot of older stuff of Tiki's.  What the controversy with them?

0 58
 10-14-2015, 07:30 PM
User Info
(10-14-2015, 04:42 PM)SRNewb Wrote: I contacted Amanda via Facebook. She asked me to tell you she is not a member here, so cannot post.

Thanks Mike, I contacted her on Facebook and I believe we are rectifying the situation.  Iwill update when I receive the package.

0 58
 10-14-2015, 07:46 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(10-14-2015, 07:30 PM)FenrirWhiskers Wrote:

Thanks Mike, I contacted her on Facebook and I believe we are rectifying the situation.  Iwill update when I receive the package.

Great! I hope everything is resolved to your satisfaction.

2 1,683
 10-14-2015, 07:53 PM
User Info
(10-14-2015, 07:28 PM)FenrirWhiskers Wrote:

(10-14-2015, 06:42 PM)fram773 Wrote:

I have ordered from Phoenix before and liked some their stuff.  I seems they carry a lot of older stuff of Tiki's.  What the controversy with them?

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=26192&page=3

18 713