10-13-2015, 03:53 PM
User Info
My favorite online vendor hasn't had Folsom Black Powder Aftershave in what feels like forever, so weekend before last I decided to order a couple of bottles directly from Folsom.  I placed the order on Monday 10/5, eight days ago.

The next day, I received an email that a USPS shipping label for the package had been created.   Clicking on "View Details," I noticed that the label was for "Two Day Priority Shipping."

There were no status updates the rest of the week, so I emailed Folsom Friday to inquire.  I received an email back assuring me the package really was shipped on 10/6 from Chicago.  They mentioned that there had been a problem with the mail service in Chicago but didn't specify.  The status finally changed yesterday, telling me it had arrived in town and would be delivered today.  Which it was.  Seven days after it was shipped.  In a box marked clearly "Two Day Priority Shipping" and a 10/6 shipping date label.

While I've been waiting on this package, I've ordered and received brushes from two artisans listed on the Artisans page, Doug and Bob.  I live in Oregon  Doug lives in NY state.  Bob lives in Georgia.  Somehow those packages made it coast to coast in two days.  Chicago's only halfway across the country from here.

Which brings me to my question:  what's up with the mail coming out of Chicago?  Anyone know?

Hmm.  Upon reflection, this post doesn't have much to do with shaving, even generally.  Mods:  could you move this to the Off Topic Complaint Department?  Thanks.

0 135
 10-13-2015, 04:17 PM
  • MHWood
  • Artisan Brush Maker
  • Illinois
User Info
I live in the suburbs and have honestly been having some trouble these past couple weeks. One of my packages I sent out last Monday still has yet to arrive in Florida, and packages coming into me are taking a couple days after the estimated delivery dates.

3 291
 10-13-2015, 06:27 PM
User Info
Yes, I think it is something that's being going on recently.

9 1,443
 10-13-2015, 07:26 PM
User Info
I personally think we as Americans should stop funding this defacto agency we know as the United States post office. I live in the state of Washington, the only Washington in my eyes. I sent a letter with payment to my nephew for an asb fundraiser at his school on a Monday. It was supposed to be taken to his school that Thursday. As the crow fly's and the slow ass mail drives I live roughly 208 miles away from my brother. I can make the drive in three hours.
Well anyway Thursday comes and goes and my check never arrived. Long story short it took two weeks for it to arrive at his mailbox. This is ridiculous and should be humiliating to the post office and post master general. Dysfunctional and bloated the post office leaves a lot to be desired in customer service and yet we continue funding them.

4 208
 11-04-2015, 03:57 PM
  • MHWood
  • Artisan Brush Maker
  • Illinois
User Info
I just wanted to give an update with some information I got from my post office. I had a package going to Minnesota from my town which is about 45 minutes from Chicago. Priority mail it was stuck in the Chicago hub for 3 or 4 days after the expected delivery date. Finally had to call them up and see what the problem was. Low and behold the next day it arrived at the customers front door. I got a call from the person that was handling the claim and got to talking about why that Chicago hub is so bad. He said that it's been extremely hard for them to find people to hire. The pay is good but it's seasonal job he said. He said people are looking for permanent jobs right now and not seasonal. Since all the kids are back at college people aren't really applying and they're short staffed. He said if something like this ever happens again to call them right away. He said once any of us call and file a claim or ticket, they have to go and search for it. So just a heads up to all of you, if something gets stuck in any hub for a couple days and doesn't move, especially priority mail, call them up.

3 291
 11-04-2015, 06:29 PM
User Info
I sent out a package via 2 day priority to Oregon from IL one week ago, upon arriving at the chicago metro hub 6 days ago it was marked as "processing exemption" the package showed up a San Diego sorting facilty today. If he gets it one week from today I'll be surprised.

3 92
 11-04-2015, 06:34 PM
  • MHWood
  • Artisan Brush Maker
  • Illinois
User Info
(11-04-2015, 06:29 PM)mata777 Wrote: I sent out a package via 2 day priority to Oregon from IL one week ago, upon arriving at the chicago metro hub 6 days ago it was marked as "processing exemption" the package showed up a San Diego sorting facilty today. If he gets it one week from today I'll be surprised.

Was it the hub right by midway?

3 291
 11-04-2015, 09:12 PM
User Info
(11-04-2015, 06:34 PM)MHWood Wrote:
(11-04-2015, 06:29 PM)mata777 Wrote: I sent out a package via 2 day priority to Oregon from IL one week ago, upon arriving at the chicago metro hub 6 days ago it was marked as "processing exemption" the package showed up a San Diego sorting facilty today. If he gets it one week from today I'll be surprised.

I'm not sure, I think they re-named the Elk grove Village hub to Chicago metro which is where most of my outgoing packages end up at. I did file a claim (sucks being on hold for 30mins) after 4 days of it being stuck there and low and behold it started moving.

3 92
 11-04-2015, 09:33 PM
  • MHWood
  • Artisan Brush Maker
  • Illinois
User Info
(11-04-2015, 09:12 PM)mata777 Wrote:
(11-04-2015, 06:34 PM)MHWood Wrote:

I'm not sure, I think they re-named the Elk grove Village hub to Chicago metro which is where most of my outgoing packages end up at. I did file a claim (sucks being on hold for 30mins) after 4 days of it being stuck there and low and behold it started moving.

We were on hold for 2 hours.....  Shocked

3 291
 11-04-2015, 10:14 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I have a package that's been sitting at the Chicago sorting center for 2 weeks.  I still haven't received it yet. Sad

48 2,056
 11-05-2015, 05:42 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
There are two black holes that I know of and there are probably more.  Chicago (Elk Grove) and Oak Creek, WI.  If my sending or arriving packages go through the Oshkosh, WI facility I have no problems at all.  It is a crap shoot.

180 24,981