10-14-2015, 03:20 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I see many references to the Gillette #58 as being an Aristocrat. I have never seen any supporting evidence for this, although it is an impressive-looking piece of hardware.

Does anyone here know, or have an opinion on this, or have an opinion on how it rates as a shaver? Is it similar to the HD 500?

Thanks, chaps.

0 1,730
 10-14-2015, 04:19 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
Same heads on 58, Monobloc, and HD. Difference you experience is likely only due to weight differences.

143 1,983
 10-15-2015, 10:29 AM
  • duanek
  • New Zealand
User Info
I have an advertising sheet that refers to it as an Aristocrat Junior

5 25
 10-15-2015, 10:32 AM
User Info
 10-15-2015, 11:16 AM
User Info
I've had several HD's and one #58. There was a lot of variability between the formers -- some were more aggressive than others, and a couple came with bent sidebars or lazy doors. A couple more were really nice, though. However, the 58 seemed to me to shave smoother than all the others, and of course the handle and finish were beautiful, which might have added to an illusion of smoother shaving. In any event, it was my favorite vintage TTO.

29 1,776
 10-15-2015, 03:56 PM
User Info
Interesting question, hope someone can shed some light.  My 58 looks very similar to the HDs that I have had, but the feel is very different--much, much smoother.

26 245
 10-15-2015, 06:58 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
The knurling and finish on my Gillette 58 is a few cuts above that of the Gillette Rockets I have. The shave is smoother from the Gillette 58 even though the heads appear to be the same. I like the no nonsense industrial look of the Rockets but the fit and finish on the 58 makes more a work of art. It is in between a Rocket and an Aristocrat so if it was advertised a Aristocrat Junior that seems fitting.

Bob

Here is a quick and dirty poor quality photo of a Rocket on the left, Aristocrat in the middle and a 58 on the right for comparison.

[Image: The-Three-Amigos_zpsf3g2evxa.jpg]

0 1,694
 10-16-2015, 04:19 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
So, the 58 isn't an Aristocrat then? That was my question. 

I'd love one, of course, they look great, but when they are advertised as an Aristocrat, well, I just don't think they are. 

I was hoping someone could prove one way or another. I'd like to see the ad that calls the 58 an Aristocrat Jr. Smile

0 1,730
 10-16-2015, 05:16 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(10-16-2015, 04:19 AM)Shaun Wrote: So, the 58 isn't an Aristocrat then? That was my question. 

I'd love one, of course, they look great, but when they are advertised as an Aristocrat, well, I just don't think they are. 

I was hoping someone could prove one way or another. I'd like to see the ad that calls the 58 an Aristocrat Jr. Smile

Well, it is not a Rocket either though. Like I said it tends more to the Aristocrat in terms of fit and finish and is a smoother shaver, at least the one I have is. The handle of the 58 is different than either of the other two also. Given a choice between a Rocket and a 58 I'll take the 58 anytime.

I have no doubt that they easily could have been advertised as an Aristocrat Junior because they seem to be just that to me.

Bob

0 1,694
 10-16-2015, 07:00 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
 10-16-2015, 09:51 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Depends what's meant by 'Rocket'. If a razor is defined as a Rocket because there is a gap that opens and closes above the silo door winder, then it's Rocket, even though it isn't officially called a Rocket. 

Yet to see an ad calling the 58 an Aristocrat, though. I have seen people advertising them as that, but never a Gillette advertisement as such. It would be illuminating to see one of these. I don't think we'll see one, but hope I'm wrong.

I guess a #58 just stands on its own. A #58 is a #58 is a #58. 

Something like that.

0 1,730
 10-17-2015, 12:03 AM
  • duanek
  • New Zealand
User Info
Sorry for the quality, the ad is framed on the wall, so a bit tricky to photograph:

[Image: Qa1ZGxj.jpg][Image: djYL1rn.jpg]

5 25
 10-17-2015, 12:49 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Thanks for posting that add.

Bob

0 1,694
 10-17-2015, 12:58 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(10-16-2015, 09:51 PM)Shaun Wrote: Depends what's meant by 'Rocket'. If a razor is defined as a Rocket because there is a gap that opens and closes above the silo door winder, then it's Rocket, even though it isn't officially called a Rocket. 

Yet to see an ad calling the 58 an Aristocrat, though. I have seen people advertising them as that, but never a Gillette advertisement as such. It would be illuminating to see one of these. I don't think we'll see one, but hope I'm wrong.

I guess a #58 just stands on its own. A #58 is a #58 is a #58. 

Something like that.

Looks like you got your wish on seeing an advertisement suggesting the 58 belongs to the Aristocrat family. OTH I can easily go along with the 58 as standing on it's own unique merits as it is just different enough to do so also. Either way it is a damn fine example of a top notch Gillette TTO DE.

Bob

0 1,694
 10-17-2015, 03:56 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
Well, that IS interesting! Thank you for the ad, Duanek, and for all the conversations.

0 1,730
 10-17-2015, 10:51 AM
  • duanek
  • New Zealand
User Info
It kind of makes sense too to put it as a junior member of the rocket family. It is built to a higher spec than the standard rockets, and is significantly better (in my opinion) than the earlier Aristocrat Juniors (and internally even the full Aristocrats).
There's also a chance we have to completely ignore my ad. I don't know jut how much credence we can put in an ad, no matter how official, from the colonies. Were it from a newspaper in the UK I'd say yes, it's definitely true. But since its not, well, there's still a chance it was something a local office or ad agency made up on the spot.

My take is also that the #58 is unique, and should stand on its own. 
It doesn't seem in any way related to the earlier Aristocrat Jrs, so it is hard to make it a part of that 'family'

5 25