10-14-2015, 09:38 AM
User Info
In another thread on cleaning a few folks advocate using an ultrasonic cleaner once in awhile.   I am hesitant to use one on my razor due to the eventual (possible) degradation of the paint in the red dot, numbers, and indicators on the adjustment dial (F4 Toggle).   I assume it is enamel paint.

Anyone have any real world experience over the years with the older gear and painted markings holding up to ultrasonic cleaners?

Thanks!

Beard Factoid:  Facial hair – over 25,000 hairs as hard as copper wire of the same thickness.

1 64
 10-14-2015, 12:31 PM
User Info
I've run ebay Slims and Fatboys through mine and the paint has come off almost immediately. Generally speaking though I was planning on repainting the numbers anyway so it wasn't a problem. It does a great job of loosening up and dislodging all that gunk in the tube so I consider it a win! If yours is as powerful as mine and heated you might be careful with the gold plating as I've had it damage the plate on a couple older razors of the gold variety.

43 207
 10-14-2015, 01:57 PM
User Info
(10-14-2015, 12:31 PM)drivenlegend Wrote: I've run ebay Slims and Fatboys through mine and the paint has come off almost immediately. Generally speaking though I was planning on repainting the numbers anyway so it wasn't a problem. It does a great job of loosening up and dislodging all that gunk in the tube so I consider it a win! If yours is as powerful as mine and heated you might be careful with the gold plating as I've had it damage the plate on a couple older razors of the gold variety.

Thanks for the info.  I think I'll go with the usual rinse, shake, dry with soft cotton cloth routine.

1 64
 10-14-2015, 04:51 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Years ago a wannabee gunsmith secured a industrial sized Ultransonic cleaner and advertised  complete cleaning of all crud. He put in a valuable COLT collection en mass and walked away. Those old hoglegs, Alaskans, Bisleys and New Services all shared black, Gutta Percha grips going in and
ZIP coming out. Facepalm

2 3,171
 10-14-2015, 06:18 PM
User Info
(10-14-2015, 04:51 PM)kav Wrote: Years ago a wannabee gunsmith secured a industrial sized Ultransonic cleaner and advertised  complete cleaning of all crud. He put in a valuable COLT collection en mass and walked away. Those old hoglegs, Alaskans, Bisleys and New Services all shared black, Gutta Percha grips going in and
ZIP coming out. Facepalm

Oh that is a real tragedy.  My collection is not that old but I would be very unhappy if I even scratched one, much less disintegrate the grips.  Edit: It must have liquified the sap based material, which sank to the bottom or floated to the top.

1 64
 10-14-2015, 06:20 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
(10-14-2015, 04:51 PM)kav Wrote: Years ago a wannabee gunsmith secured a industrial sized Ultransonic cleaner and advertised  complete cleaning of all crud. He put in a valuable COLT collection en mass and walked away. Those old hoglegs, Alaskans, Bisleys and New Services all shared black, Gutta Percha grips going in and
ZIP coming out. Facepalm

Palmslap for the owner, hopefully he held back one for the gadget-boy.  

But, I have put older 3 piece razors in the buzzer with just water and dish soap to good effect.  That said, before I had the ultrasonic gadget I did the same job with a small pot on the stove and some q-tips.  Ultrasonic if ya already have been sucked in, otherwise naw

43 461
 10-15-2015, 05:16 AM
User Info
I agree that the ultrasonic cleaner, especially one that is heated, is likely to damage the original paint. I've restored many vintage razors and I usually have to repaint the numbers. Repainting isn't hard, so it's worth it to me to be able to use the ultrasonic to clean out the insides of the razors. However, if you want to keep the original paint, I would avoid the ultrasonic.

Some cleaners like Scrubbing Bubbles also seem to be a culprit in removing the original paint.

3 92