10-14-2015, 02:00 PM
User Info
For those who have tried their share of brushes, I would like your impresisons.

I don't want to have a huge collection of brushes, but I don't mind spending for a few top quality pieces. My interest is primarily in keeping numbers low, so clearly I am looking for very versatile and quality brushes that can lather effectively on both soaps and creams. To that end, I came up with a short list based on my initial preferences. I can purchase any number (or combination) of the below, but I would like some sense of how they might rank. They are as follows:

Simpsons Persian Jar 2 (Super Badger)
Simpsons Chubby 2 (Super Badger)
Savile Row 3824 (Silvertip)
Semogue SOC 2013 SE (Silvertip)

I'd be interested on hearing your thoughts on the above, particularly concerning quality and versatility. Naturally, I am open to other suggestions or suggestions concerning hair grades/alternative models that might be similar to the above.

Thank you.

3 1,484
 10-14-2015, 08:49 PM
User Info
I'll just say that those brushes look like they'll make you quite happy!  

There are just too many other brushes that are just as good, if not better, especially, once you start going into custom-made ones.
Enjoy the brushes! Thumbsup

83 21,081
 10-15-2015, 12:23 AM
User Info
Love threads like these to death.
I will return with a reply, but have to think it over.
But great idea.
And have to support a badger brush battle thread

24 5,971
 10-15-2015, 02:49 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
My ranking:

SR Silvertip
Semogue Silvertip
Simpson PJ Super
Simpson Chubby Super

My ranking is based on the fact that I don't like overly dense and stiff brushes; thus the Simpson are lowest rank.

7 910
 10-15-2015, 04:46 AM
User Info
IMO most of these brushes are fair comparison except for the Chubby 2. It's a much larger brush than everything mentioned and in my opinion puts it into a different category. I have not tried Savile Row yet, and I am really not motivated to do so either. For me that Semogue is an incredible value if you are talking about the one with the olive wood handle. Hard to go wrong with it.

63 1,721
 10-15-2015, 10:54 AM
User Info
(10-15-2015, 04:46 AM)NSmalls Wrote: IMO most of these brushes are fair comparison except for the Chubby 2. It's a much larger brush than everything mentioned and in my opinion puts it into a different category. I have not tried Savile Row yet, and I am really not motivated to do so either. For me that Semogue is an incredible value if you are talking about the one with the olive wood handle. Hard to go wrong with it.

Perhaps it is in a different category - as a newbie, I wouldn't know Angel . All of these brushes seem quite versatile from what I've read, but I could be wrong. And yes, I am referring to the Semogue with a wood handle.

I should add that I usually bowl lather in a large and wide Fine bowl. In that instance, I'd imagine that even the Chubby would be less unwieldy.

3 1,484
 10-15-2015, 11:17 PM
User Info
(10-15-2015, 12:23 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Love threads like these to death.
But great idea.

Claus!!! You're keeping me in suspense Tongue.

3 1,484
 10-16-2015, 01:52 AM
User Info
(10-15-2015, 11:17 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote:
(10-15-2015, 12:23 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Love threads like these to death.
But great idea.

Claus!!! You're keeping me in suspense Tongue.

Have only owned 3 of the 4.

My ranking as a face lather:

1. CH2 Super - for me the clear winner

Tie between Semogue SOC and Saville Row

24 5,971
 10-16-2015, 02:21 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
The Semogue 2013 is very soft and has some nice 'bone, probably due to the short loft (47 mm, iirc?). When I bought it I bowl lathered almost exclusively, but this brush turned me into an exclusive face latherer. The short handle is ergonomically more suited to that purpose imo. It is a joy to use.

I agree with Nick. The CH2 is in a different category. There's a huge difference in face feel between 24 mm and 28 mm.

7 2,159
 10-16-2015, 12:49 PM
User Info
Thank you for your replies gentlemen. From the comments so far, it seems that I will need two brushes at the very least.

First, the Chubby 2 due to its face-lathering qualities and density, and second, one of the other options since they seem to have better flow through and bowl lathering traits.

3 1,484